Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Always felt Jeter was overrated... but he's still a worthy Hall of Famer.

Walker is a borderline HOFer. Doesn't lower the standards of the HOF, but I wouldn't have a problem if he hadn't made it.

Minority opinion - Bonds and Clemens should be in.

Updated Tuesday, January 21 2020 @ 3:59:27 pm PST
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sooooooooooo happy Larry Walker is in! And he was wearing a Spongebob shirt today! What a badass.

Made it by six votes. There's been a ton of discussion about whether or not he was HoF material, but I like to imagine the voters took defense and some other metrics into account when they voted. So happy for him! Oh, and go Canada!
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I second Splinter's take on Jeter

I second lostraven's take on Walker (Whoohoo!)

I second ESac's take on Rock777. He totally deserves to be in the HoF and to get a beer!
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Very happy with how it shook out. Walker is massively deserving, and Jeter is too, even if he's not as good as the media's made him out to be, he still was obvious. Glad Bonds and Clemens aren't in, IMO I don't care that their career was good enough before the steroids, they still cheated. It's gonna be hard to put Altuve, Beltran, or Betts in there for the same reason.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm on the fence about Clemens and Bonds. My bet is there are players of the same time that did similar things that will make or are already in The Hall. We'll probably never know. If that's the case, shouldn't the best pitcher and hitter of the era be in?

The easy one for me is Pete Rose. He should be in. He didn't do anything wrong as a player. I understand they don't want to honor him due to what he did as a gambler, I mean manager, but in my mind they're easily separable.

Updated Wednesday, January 22 2020 @ 10:27:39 am PST
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Cactusguy21: Wait, why are you lumping Mookie Betts into that mess? Just because of the sign stealing that seems to have occurred in Boston? I mean, do we even know how much he contributed to that? If he knew? Hell, from what I'm beginning to gather, sign stealing has been going on for a long time, in some form. Not saying its right, but at what point do we ACTUALLY start putting asterisks next to players' achievements?

@MukiteoMike: Totally agree on Rose. Those were off-the-field issues.

In the same vein, I was just today talking with a coworker about Bonds. Dude indubitably had talent, a batting eye for sure, that couldn't be affected by steroids. It's a damn shame he partook because dude had some crazy natural talent regardless. Le sigh.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a little slow to the conversation.

I was worried Walker's last chance was going to be sunk by the group of writers who felt Jeter should go in by himself (and only placed 1 vote). Was glad he made it. (Bias alert: Canadian fan cheering for a Canadian player who played for a Canadian team).

I think Bonds and Clemens will tick up again next year. I don't think either makes it tho. 26% neighs sinks them and I imagine there are that many firmly opposed.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I like Larry Walker and I'm happy for him. He was my Scoresheet Baseball RF for 7 seasons -- so I'm really partial to him.

However, his stats in Montreal and St. Louis suggest he's a good, not great hitter. But his numbers in Colorado are just off-the-charts (+ 1 MVP).

Please don't tell me that Vinny Castilla or Bante Bichette belong in the HoF though.

Jeter is kind of a no-brainer -- I guess one anonymous writer didn't vote for him -- probably from Boston. :-)

Steve

hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Bonds and Clemens will tick up again next year. I don't think either makes it tho. 26% neighs sinks them and I imagine there are that many firmly opposed.

Here's the Moo Cow unpopular opinion: Any "Hall of Fame" that wouldn't include Bonds and Clemens is literally illegitimate.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
As someone who grew up in Reds Country and kneeled at the alter of Rose, dude should definitely be in. Nobody played to win more than he did. Off the field? Absolute sh*tbag. Terrible person.

I think it's disingenuous the writers won't enshrine the steroid users. MLB, owner's, GM's scouts, everyone was complicit. The writers knew too but didn't want to lose access. They were profiting right along with everybody else. To hold those players accountable now, while being complicit yourselves, is shameful.

Previous Page | Show All |