Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Is this normal? Pitch wins without really doing anything   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
cjones236

Niagara Falls Kings
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
This might a cultral thing, I'm an Englishman and my baseball knowledge is limited.

http://brokenbat.org/game/4440711

In this game O.Isales pithces two balls and gets awarded the win. C.Garza pitch over 5 innnings (114 balls) and gets nothing.

Is this typical of baseball to award wins in this fashion?

I feel bad for Garza!
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure if the BB guidelines are exactly like this, but:

A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- A starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

A save opportunity occurs every time a relief pitcher either records a save or a blown save. For a save opportunity, a pitcher must be the final pitcher for his team (and not the winning pitcher) and do one of the following:

1. Enter the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitch at least one inning. 2. Enter the game with the tying run in the on-deck circle -- or closer to scoring. 3. Pitch at least three innings.

In order for any of those three to occur, a pitcher must first have a save opportunity.

Garza left with game tied. Not sure why Olivarez was charged with a BS, since the other team didnt score. Isales was the last pitcher of record when Niagara took the lead for good, so the win. Aquino was the last pitcher for Niagara and "protected" the lead to the final out (despite allowing 1 run) so, the "save".

Updated Monday, April 11 2022 @ 6:27:38 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, the win rules for baseball can create some weird situations, but this is correct.

That's why many of us in the know pay very little attention to wins and loses ;) I completely ignore the W/L columns when evaluating pitchers.
cjones236

Niagara Falls Kings
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks all.

Previous Page | Show All |