Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Playoff teams’ fan mood penalized too much for losses.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Exactly what it says on the tin. It’s possible for a playoff sweep to drop a team something like twenty points of fan mood. This is neither reasonable nor realistic. Sure, it’s a letdown for the fans to see their team trounced in the playoffs, but they shouldn’t be as grumpy about their team’s performance as the league’s cellar dwellers!

Even worse, it can lead to a nasty hit to attendance at the start of the following season. This is especially true if you get off to a rocky start, which is hardly unusual against the stiffer competition of a higher league, leading to even lower fan mood. Getting promoted via getting swept in the playoffs will almost certainly result losing money even faster in league that you’re already paying more to play in to begin with. For teams that don’t have a healthy nest egg built up, even if they manage to turn things around by the All Star Game or so, the current setup is a recipe for bleeding cash and being forced to jettison the star players who got you to that higher league to begin with.
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
+1
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I totally agree with this suggestion and can relate personally to it. We just lost a playoff series to a very good Fall River Naughty Dawgs team and our fan mood dropped from 114 down to 92! That seems really unreasonable. You mean to tell me our fans are not excited at all about our team making it’s first trip to the Legends League in it’s history next season?

Updated Tuesday, December 20 2022 @ 8:22:11 pm PST
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
one of the few bad planned features of this otherwise great game.
A change is definitely needed.

+1
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
a while back i worked out the effect of wins and losses on fan mood, for regular season, cup & playoff...posted findings in forum

playoff game effect was 2.5 times greater than regular season game

so getting swept in playoffs is a major hit to fan mood...so is losing series 4-1

change due to playoff win
Mood after game = 2.5*4*(200-Fan Mood before game)/200

change due to playoff loss
Mood after game=-2.5*4*(200-Fan Mood before game)/200

the winner gets a big boost to fan mood...but doesn't he also get a big boost to player salaries? a boost that the playoff loser doesn't get? don't know if that is the compensator built into the game.

Updated Tuesday, December 20 2022 @ 10:00:00 pm PST

Updated Tuesday, December 20 2022 @ 10:03:20 pm PST
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Only one team's gonna win the final game of the season, everyone else gets heartbreak. It is a VERY different mood than the slow burn of the, what did you say, the cellar dwellars like the current Denvy season. Very close to the pennant and then you do not win. There is no satisfaction from second place. There is promotion and there is higher gates from ticket income.

So, no. I think it is fine as currently designed. A playoff loss of any kind is going to piss off the fans, and there are many real life instances of it doing so, both in baseball and sport.

A playoff sweep should be VERY detrimental to fan mood. It does not happen IRL a lot where the opposition is dominated like that. A losing streak. The fans: We never got a win against the very best other team of the year, not once in October anyway, not at our stadium or theirs.

Examples? Playoff losses slash wins, um...2007 Super Bowl, 2007 Fiesta Bowl, 1989 World Series (My A's), 1990 World Series (My A's), 2004 World Series ended the Curse of the Bambino, 2016 NBA Finals, Super Bowl XLIX with Marshawn Lynch, Argentina declared a national holiday yesterday for the 2022 World Cup win, there are some Parisians at the airport for France probably, but they aren't happy to be out there in the wintertime I can tell you.

"No points for second place." Top Gun

IMO ;)

Updated Wednesday, December 21 2022 @ 3:16:59 pm PST
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
We will have to agree to disagree. My fans should be ecstatic that we are moving up to Legends. Not the worst mood they have been in since being in Level VI.
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with this suggestion. Except in Legends the main aim is to get promotion, the playoffs to me are a bonus. It's not the same as real life MLB which is basically just a Legends division. I'm still really happy with this season despite losing the playoffs and I think our fans would be too.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay. True. A nerf for "promotion but didn't win the pennant heartbreak" would be okay for let's say LL2 and Legends, but for the moment it is in the rules that playoffs affect the mood for every club. Enjoy Legends! :) There are 65 or so World Series in BB every season. I forget that sometimes. But. You lose the final game of the season, you need to energize the fanbase somehow with bobblehead night or a roster revamp or fire the manager and so on in order to sell tickets. Be glad there isn't a knock to the mood of the BB free agent players feeling that you can't win the pennant. That's a loss you don't want. They'll sign for anyone, no penalty to BB free agent's mood!

Updated Thursday, December 22 2022 @ 12:14:33 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |