Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> AM I DOING THIS RIGHT???   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
zwmorris

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ok so i know i'm not a pro baseball GM. I started this game in January. I had a middle of the road team with some vets and some rookies. WE werent doing too hot so i made some changes and went into total rebuild mode. I cut the older overpaid guys and started drafting 16 to 18 yearolds. now its 4 simulated years later and these guys (some) are starting to come around. we are however still struggling. i'm now drafting college kids to get here to the majors faster to help out. i dont want to sign free agents. am i doing this correctly? someone look at my roster and give me advice. do i have a good core? any suggestions would be awesome thanks!
Randy Bobandy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Didn't bother to take a look at the roster but yeah, if you decide to total rebuild you're gonna suck for a while there. Mind you if all the guys you draft end up not being good it's just gonna be a vicious circle. You should be signing a free agent here and there to help bridge the gap like you're trying to do by now drafting college guys though. Not every guy you draft is good so...
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd say you're on the right track, same track I'm on. Coming into season 4 myself, running constantly a dozen games below .500. But ... looking better. Given you're committed to the long game and drafting, one thing I think you should keep in mind is sustainability. Make sure you have a couple new guys with good upside come out of the minors every year.

if you can turnover the old guys with new, young arms and bats, you'll do well in the long run. Then you can just use the waiver wire to fill in holes and areas of need. Good luck to ya.
Randy Bobandy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Crunchtime, we joined on the same day!
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no right or wrong but I wouldn't discount free agency out of hand.

Three ways to improve you team:
  • Make sure you are getting the best out of what you already have by adjusting defense, line-up, pitching roles and management settings
  • Pick-up some good long-term prospects, you can also find some these through free agency by picking up good prospects other teams have discarded. And play them some of the time so they pick-up experience.
  • Sign free agents better than what you already have, older players can keep you major team going while you prodigies develop; or take a chance on someone cheap with potential who some other team hasn't kept.

Give them a reasonable chance but if they can't cut it, cut them

I get as much pleasure getting a good couple of years out of someone who has been thrown on the heap as being too old to contribute, as do blooding a rookie.

Try to balance the short, medium and long term. A coach won't stay in their job if they only built for the future as the club would be losing money through the turnstiles.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's not all that bad. I'm running 39/50 after playing most of the year about 45/50 staffingwise. HIghest guy is 1.65 mil a year, a 1.2 and a .8mil and I made $13 mil, averaging 18k fans last year. It's put me ina position to open up the purse strings this year for some more expensive peices as I need them. I still finished 4th, mind you in Div VI.

With 15 very good potentials in the minors, cash in the bank and a team that only gets better every year, I think it's working out for me.
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
when i joined i completly gutted my team, at the time we were over 10 million in the red and losing money fast. i went real young, lost alot but slowly crawled out of debt, by season 3 my team was fighting for the division.
zwmorris

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will definitely take all of it into consideration. I feel like we can play .500 ball this year...if i can maybe pick up a reliever or two. My Rotation seems solid. And i have one of the best pitchers in my division in Gary Russo! WOOT!
Randy Bobandy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
you go girl

Previous Page | Show All |