Broken Bat Baseball
Pitchers in particular? These ones:
http://brokenbat.org/player/65352
http://brokenbat.org/player/65204
http://brokenbat.org/player/64431
http://brokenbat.org/player/64217
http://brokenbat.org/player/61937
http://brokenbat.org/player/60333

Pitchers hitting their primes 27+. Most have had some time on the free agency market though I believe the longest is 4 weeks (Agano/Lujan) so they're missing, what, 3-4 points?

After taking a second look, my minors look ok. 24s have similar SIs, 23s on another tier, etc. Might be overreacting based on my current and past starters having issues hitting peak before starting to lose stats. Might just be unlucky.
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Here are my 2 cents on this discussion.

While yes, I can probably clarify the fact that pitchers are pretty hard to find--In all of my youth talent searches (FA and in Draft) I haven't found a single Worthful Pitcher over 45 SI. I've found plenty of hitters and fielders though, at around 55-60 SI, some even better then that. As far as MY own personal team goes, I'm not worried about pitchers YET, since my core is Zapata/Bailey/Yanez/Bonner/Henderson. I've been blessed with some, I've stolen some. I'll admit that. I know other teams can't really say the same about their pitchers. I want a compromise and I'm sure everyone else does too.

SO here is my compromise: Increase the number of 45-55 SI Pitcher talents by at least 10%, that would at least get some WORTHWHILE pitchers going, and have the rare 60+ SI rookie pitcher be a VERY, VERY small percent chance (3%?) Because I'm sure I'd be pissed to hear that some dude got a 63 SI 17 yr old P out of draft. ALSO, I agree with what the others have said, increase the training speed of pitchers, so at least they have a chance at becoming 90 SI pitchers. Make their speed a teeny weeny bit below a hitters' training speed. I have a few dudes who are in their mid 80s SI and 22/23 yrs old. We could have like a high 70s or low 80s SI P at around their age too. Maybe its a little far fetched, but it could happen.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I dunno, I think there are already too many good pitchers out there. If you look at the top leagues, hitters numbers are way below where they should be due to great pitching.
I also think that people put way too much emphasis on SI. It's a rough estimate on skills, not a hard fact of their abilities.
I've found that once you start giving pitchers some playing time in the majors, they actually gain pretty quick, at least in my experience, and sometimes the rookies can even put up surprisingly decent numbers.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The whole 'Giving them experience can help development' and 'playing above their division can hinder development' still confuses me. I went with all my rooks up in the majors after writing off the season in an effort to get them better, quicker. Twice I've had players under 25 in the majors lose a stat, not impressed with that.

My minor guys will be good, I'm fairly confident in that. I was just hoping to be good with the current batch and be able to sustain it with the rooks. As they appear underdeveloped, now I'm looking at waiting until the rooks mature and it's setting me back another couple years.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Crunchtime

Those young players you mentioned losing stats aren't actually losing stats. The skills on young inexperienced players are just scouting reports really, and while generally accurate, they can be up to %20 off (if I remember correctly). So when you see a skill go down on a young player it's not really dropping, it's just that as they play you get a more accurate report of their true skills. This goes the other way as well. Some gains aren't really gains, just the clearer picture of their accurate stats.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I read about pitchers' SI being too low.
Does anybody reckon that the formula pitchers' SI is a different one than for hitters?

For this very reason, at the same level of ability pitchers' average SI will always be lower than hitters.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@MrTwoPlums: Is that right. That's some really good info, thank you. Didn't think it would actually go down, thought it just would not end up reaching the same peak. Makes sense, thank you.

@FrankeBasta: They are calculated differently. It's in the help file. Copy/pasting here for you:

Skill Index: a weighted total of all relevant skills. For position players, it's the sum of the five offensive and three defensive skills. For a pitcher, skill index is weighted more towards pitching skills.

Position Player's Skill Index = 1.0 * (hitting + plate discipline + bat control + power + speed) + 1.0 * (fielding + range + arm)

Pitcher's Skill Index = 1.25 * (velocity + change of speeds + ball movement + control + stamina) + 0.5 * (fielding + range + arm)

Potential: a measure of all relevant skill potentials.

Updated Saturday, November 16 2013 @ 3:42:58 pm PST
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i have to agree with the thread opener. easiest solution might be: change training curve - somewhat faster in the beginning and somewhat slower later in the process of training, so pitchers could start earlier in the majors
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Additionally, we have changed the aging algorithm, so players will have slightly longer careers now. Their career lengths are more variable now too.

Does this pertain to all players or just the newly created ones?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It applies to players that haven't already been affected by aging - so most current players.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |