Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Training is too slow to keep users interested   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
sross78

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
since this game is missing nearly all the elements that would make it interesting in the long run (trades, buying/selling players, training at a decent rate), i have released my whole team and replaced them with a 35 yr old dream team lol.

Lots of good 30 yr olds on the market now.

ps, steve, did you block me from creating new threads b/c i questioned the horrible training???

doesn't matter, either way i'm done with the game. hope others have better luck.

Updated Saturday, October 19 2013 @ 7:21:17 am PDT

Updated Saturday, October 19 2013 @ 7:22:08 am PDT
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, I don't think that sross liked the game very much. :p You can't please everyone.

I think its good that you added a little more variability in the aging. There should be several algorithms for player skill decreases as they age. Some should decrease sharply after 30, some should decrease very little before age 35, some should decrease evenly starting in their early 30's, ect, ect. The aging of a player should not be entirely predictable. Up until now it has seemed to me that all the players started loosing a little speed/range after 30 and started seeing a couple hitting skills drop every year after age 32. I don't really know how much variability was built in, that is just how it seemed to me from my experience.

Curtis
Erkuza

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Also I think players retire way too early. If a player is a free agent and he is 35 or older he automatically retires. I think retirement for a player should be determine by his age and the number of seasons he is a free agent.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have recently implemented a change to make aging effects more random and slightly later in a player’s career. Player skills also age differently…for example speed & velocity tend to go before plate discipline and control.

Also I think players retire way too early. If a player is a free agent and he is 35 or older he automatically retires. I think retirement for a player should be determine by his age and the number of seasons he is a free agent.

That is an interesting thought. Right now, I have drawn over 35 as an arbitrary retirement age (as it was very simple to implement). But perhaps your algorithm is more realistic. At present though, there are not a lot of 35+ year old super stars.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
since this game is missing nearly all the elements that would make it interesting in the long run (trades, buying/selling players, training at a decent rate), i have released my whole team and replaced them with a 35 yr old dream team lol.

All the games I’ve ever played with trading spend a disproportionate amount of time and energy policing and resolving trade issues (dishonest traders, lopsided trades, sweetheart deals, multiple team issues etc.). As for a player marketplace, it is a longer term goal...I have tried to focus on making the “baseball” aspects of the game work well and probably have neglected the economics of the game.

ps, steve, did you block me from creating new threads b/c i questioned the horrible training???

I haven’t blocked anyone from creating threads.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So you said players need 3-5 years in minors, so a 18y old high schooler should be ready by 23/24 (from 18) and college draftee by 24/25 (from 21/22) - right?

No, college players start out at a more advanced level than high school players. So expect them to be ready sooner. The goal is to have players maxing out the training portion of their development by about 23 years old. This doesn’t mean they’re going to be stars in the big league immediately, they’ve just learned all they can in the minors.

Also, keep in mind, if you’re players aren’t assigned to the proper minor league level, they will not train as fast. For example, a player on the cusp of the big leagues isn’t going to learn much in rookie ball.

Steve would it be possible, only for minor leagers, to show skills with ".5" like 11.5? So we could see more often ups and feel more like improving

Well, I think people would just swap players between the big leagues and triple-AAA to look for half skills points, no? Perhaps, showing SI improvements (“pops”) would be helpful??

Steve
BobbyWadd

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was thinking that the training was kind of slow, but it does seem to pick up after the player reaches the majors and picks up even more if you actually use them in the majors. That being said, the development should definitely vary according to the player. Some progress faster than others, but in the game it is pretty much uniformly slow...until they accelerate with ML usage. I have had my team since 2011 and my 1st draftees were on the team last year in 2014. Time actually seems to be running out to reach their full potential for some of them.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There are several variables/mechanisms that make training speeds quite variable from player to player. That's it why examining the training rate of just one player is not a very good determinant of training speeds overall.

Steve

Updated Monday, October 21 2013 @ 5:47:28 pm PDT
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
what i have noticed over my tenure here has been that it seems as though pitching is alot tougher to train up than hitting, as i have had my training selections on all pitching since probably halfway through my first season and i can count the weeks where ive had more pops in pitching than hitting on one hand, which doesnt make too much sense given the nature of my training selection, i also havent put too much overall thought into training, i look for great potential guys and they have done well for me so far, however i have a few rookies that i dunno what the deal is, i have Joe Mariani whom i signed 3 seasons ago as a 18 year old with 80SI, in the three easons i have had him in the minors he has never left AA, which is where he is suppose to be, he has grown all of 9 si in all 3 seasons and has very good overall potential. hes now 21 and my hopes of having a young stud at 2b are fading fast! i also have noticed many of my pitchers i have drafted with very good potential have grown maybe 3-9 si over the course of 2-3 seasons. my hitters seem to progress fine. i would be in favor of a slight tweak to pitching training possibly, or maybe more so the introduction of trainers that affect your training speed might solve all problems, personally i have taken my team from -10million in the red to almost 50million in the positive and id spend 48million on a trainer to train my pitchers double time. without even questioning it.
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
teh I don't think the trainers is a good idea. I mean there are some managers who play this game and who have 100M+ in their bank (i'm one of those guys, : s) And what would happen is if there was a linear level of trainers (lets say levels 1-5) the Guys with the most money would get all the great trainers, making their team stay good and never go to the bottom, I do like the suggestion though. I think it'd be better to have *1* Training staff with *1* Level, to make it fair for everyone, and also have it at a good price to accommodate everyone's finances (I think 5M/year is good deal?)

Previous Page | Show All |