Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2058 Open Thread   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Injury bug hits. Moreno got a 15 day, then Nunez, who has been groomed to be a 5th SP for 3 seasons got in there, won, and got an 8 day. I have pitching depth but not THAT much. Olivares will try a short start or two
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
All of my prospects from the past several years have been busts, finally going to relegate as a result. Years of work got me this far, sucks to lose it by random chance.
TheGmEra

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can someone tell my key players to stop getting injured? Im trying to win the division here
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well interleague closes. This week was full of frustration. Most of the series were 2-3 (including today against the Salisbury Steaks). No one else in the running played well though. Both Loveland Midland kept dropping games also, so they are both 8 back. Good to see them lose, but...a double digit division lead would have felt nice.

Should have Moreno back by the time things roll against Loveland on Saturday. Olivera's season is starting to become worrying. Not just because last season he had a full season career worst 4.01 ERA. He's now at 9-12 with a 4.29 ERA. The first isnt a problem, as his RS has been horrible all season. Meanwhile Mr. President is 15-7 with 15 CG and 6 shutouts. Speaking of CG, the Mayor, who has been pitching daily in IL, is 9-2 with a 2.32 ERA and 5 CG of his own. His 4 hit shutout of Salisbury today felt really good.

So, this week included we are 46-21 in our last 67 games with a division leading but not impressive +70 RD. Average 5 RS is not where I want to be. For the most part the lineup changes at the start of interleague worked:

Glover hit .313 in 37 games, Hodson is platoon only and is hitting .320 with a crazy .470 against LHP. Gomez and Goodson are putting in their normal years at the plate. Fielding hasnt been quite as good, but is acceptable for most. I would think Holley would be fielding a little better, but he is not even at 3B. Happy to see we have 107 HR in 110 games. That is a lot for us. Ursler has stayed with the team. I originally planned to only have him for a week, but he is hitting .370 against LHP, so he is in those lineups. Olivares was brought up because of the pitching injuries and had two excellent outings.

Anyway, 50 games to go. We will see what happens.

electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
We came back to League play to play...kinda like we did before IL, which is not good. A 4-11 stretch cut our lead, but not by that much, considering how relatively .500 the rest of the division is. This time I dont feel talent level is holding me back, but more, guys simply arent performing like they are capable.

Former Cy Young Winner Olivera hasnt had a great 2 seasons in IV. He was 15-12 with a 4.01 ERA in 2057 and this season is 9-12 with a 4.41 ERA. He is my #2 SP and I depend on him a lot. We've lost his last 7 starts, which is brutal when trying to win. He has picked up the loss in 5 of them, but it deserves to be said his RS is less than 4 per game.

Moreno has a 4.84 ERA and has allowed 16 homers in 93 IP. Unlike Olivera, he had an excellent first season in IV and has RS of 6.5 per game.

This sorts of obscures the fact that Kennedy is a top of the rotation ace, the Mayor is pitching like one as well (10-2, 2.14 ERA) as well as terrific seasons in relief by Coronado, Bustamante and Crawford. Rookie Omi has been solid this season as #4 (12-4 3.77 ERA). With a bit of help for/from our #2/#3 guys we could be doing a lot better.

While there are some positives from the hitters, who seem to have settled in at .277 on the season, with 113 homers in 117 games, it is again sub-standard years that are hampering us, with 4.9 RS per game (havent been below 5.2 since 2052).

Hodson is crushing his platoons, but is no longer an every lineup player (.202 vs RHP), Padgett and Mares, the teams two best sluggers have reverted to platoon players. Padgett's splits flipped this year and he has been playing against RHP. His 22 homers and 80 RBI are outstanding, but he has been slumping lately. Mares is hitting .269 with 13 Homers and 59 RBI's, but playing in non-primaries reduces his opportunities. That being said, the non-primary lineups are responsible for 28-13 against LHP. Paez and McCann are hitting well standards. Both are hitting .269, and for Paez it looks likely a 3 year stretch of .300 hitting will be over. 0 errors in CF as usual. Similarly for McCann, 3 nearly straight years of .300 hitting (.296 last season). He is 24 in 35 SB attempts, so less than I'd like to see there as well. Arriaga has been nearly unusable this season. Ive been playing him to see if he will snap out of it to some degree. He does have a .352 OBP in contrast to his .233 BA and 19 games is not a lot. But as someone who was expected to platoon at first (since he is 32 and declining) with Hodson has not panned out that way at all. Mori's splits also flipped and has been sub-.200 against RHP and .229 on the season. Rookie Gentile has been playing C most of the time in primaries, and has been acceptable, hitting .262 against same-sided P.

But we wouldnt lead the division by 4 games without some bright spots. 3rd year player Gomez is turning in another fine season, .307 as primary SS with 7 errors in 70 starts. His platoon mates Burnett and Shanks are doing fine as well. Burnett is hitting .300 in 83 games with a respectable .271 average in primaries. Shanks has hit .289 on the season and .326 in off-lineups.

I think where you bat someone has a significant effect on aggressiveness on the base paths. Shanks was one of the most aggressive base stealers in the minors and attempted 81 SB last season usually batting 9th. He's #9 now but has generally batted 8th this season. Just 28 attempts.

Glover and Waters, in their first significant action in awhile, to try and jolt our hitting, have both been fine. Glover is hitting .304 in 41 games and is better in off lineups. Waters is hitting .289 in 40 games doing his best in same sided lineups (.304) which works for me.

These past couple of weeks on waivers have been a bit frustrating. Lost out on Polanco on a 50/50 with OW and steaming a bit over Menendez, which Concord picked up on a 50/50. I think over-claiming leads to dropping players I shouldnt at times. (Here's looking at you, Bobby Holden!) who Medrano joins on Farmington Hills. Dropping Maeda and Medrano I am a bit indifferent to.

I am pretty solid on most of my positional players. Planning post Hodson in primaries, Goodson playing at first can lead to problems, but he's been worse than the 3 errors in 25 starts this season. While Buck has been underwhelming in most instances, he's now a 16 hit/.357 OBP player with even splits. He may gain a couple more SI but looks at most to reach his floor of 89 SI and not near his original 12 POT. My middle infield has some concerns, as Shanks/Gomez are platoon only, and Burnett was asked to bridge the gap, which he did, but I cant count on that going forward. Nadeau joins next season, but at 11 fielding probably will be somewhere else in the lineup. While Mares and Holley (.302/.400) make a great platoon, they arent good injury replacements for each other, which has led to a change of attitude regarding Stephens. He had been near the top of the cut-list all season (saved by the fact he's 21 and projects to rise in POT) and, relatively speaking, is hitting who he's supposed to hit this season. If he does, he seems likely to at least be a scratch 3B (also adds C depth - though a right handed one). While Zavala is a left handed injury replacement, he is pretty useless at the plate. His poor ability to put the ball in play marginalizes his excellent power. Nelson was terrific in his short stint in League, and has crushed AAA on his return (even with a not amazing 13 hit tool). But he is basically a depth OF and platoon CF type. Like Carr and Monroy, he is a low on base guy.

So I have been fighting myself over claiming just who I have a reasonably clear-cut need for and not just talent. Since my team always rolls heavy with 20-somethings, reasonably clear cut needs can be hard to identify at times. Medrano has talent, but with Bustamante and Coronado showing they arent complete trash, along with Canizles and Olivares (2055 deadline signees) waiting in the wings, make the need low in right handed relief atm. Additionally, while Yagami may not be showing great value at this point, he's around as well. As far as LHP, Crawford has reverted to form, not sure what happened last year. Possibly my theory about low velocity relievers being generally ineffective at higher levels is wrong, and it was just a trash year like McCann's 2054. I cut Valadez on a similar theory, but his 5 velocity and tapped out at 92 SI with a 17 curveball played a big role as well. He would also have been pushed out by Coronado and Bustamante this year anyway. Behind Crawford (and the generally not-used anymore Lagos), its Perkins and Romo. Perkins looks decent considering he has a CoS of 4. Though it seems being used as a SP by the AI ups his homers some, he is 1/10 IP overall anyway. Though by no means did I want to lose Menendez, Perkins body of work and the fact that I had Perkins slotted for relatively similar usage played a role. Romo looks more like a guy who could end up in the rotation, which may lead to some flexibility for Moreno being used out of the pen. On that, Moreno is either pitching well or badly, doesnt seem to matter where he is.

So, I had three spots open for that most magical time of the year, waiver deadline. I skipped the bulk of waivers and focused on 18,21 year olds as I normally do.

https://brokenbat.org/player/305699
https://brokenbat.org/player/304183
https://brokenbat.org/player/307735

Poirier currently has stuck movement and stuck stamina (without a comment). He has gained less than 6 SI, so its hard to say. Heavy ground ball pitcher in Prep, and his hits and ERA are ugly. How long he stays around who knows?

Baldwin's body of work isnt fantastic, but the AI started him 75 games in Prep with 5 stamina. Like Poirier he will have decent tools within 11 POT.

I like Ortiz the best of the three. Aside from not being an above average guy, he's the one who has an outside shot to rise in POT. Not that theres much difference between high end 11 and low end 12. Aside from a straight curveball, he tossed lots of grounders and few homers. Because he isnt used as a SP, his body of works shows a little more clearly what he might be able to do.

Not confident any of them will rise to 12 POT, but all may have solid tools in 11 POT. But nothing very exciting.

Updated Monday, February 20 2023 @ 11:00:18 pm PST
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
We might actually pull this off. It has been such a stressful season. One of my teams best pitchers has just lost it lately and I put him at SS, Run scoring and run support has been very iffy. Kennedy with his 21 QS and 7 shutouts still has 12 losses, Bustamante has been very good most of the season but struggled to close a few games this week. The hitting has been iffy all season. They have a respectable batting average and other things, but many people are having off years. We struggled coming back from IL culminating in a sweep by Midland.

Since: We swept Goodyear and swept Costa Mesa, and now lead by 7 games (we were 1/2 game up 7 games ago lol) with 17 to play.

35 year Old Johnnie Hodson. He has been killing left handed pitching all season, but a week ago he was .205 against RHP. But things were getting a little desperate here, especially since Arriaga has done so little he hardly plays. He is batting .203 in 90 or so PA. He's 32 but he seems to have fallen off very quickly, whereas Hodson raised his average against RHP to .250 and is hitting .319 on the year. He's not the SB threat he was, swiping 32 in 47 attempts. But I will take it lol

2B is still a bit of a bandaid. I never expected to have to depend on Burnett to play full time - a 3 claimer 2 seasons ago who has already begun his decline (theoretically). But he's batting .301 on the season (he plays SS in off-lineups), and a very reasonable .279 against primary pitching. 107 games in MI, 8 errors on the season. This allows Shanks to platoon at 2B in off-lineups. While his average there has declined, he has improved a bit against RHP and has a perfectly fine .281 line on the year with just 2 errors at 2B in 64 starts. Hes also played 21 flawless games in OF. His aggressiveness declined dramatically for some reason. Just 32 SB attempts but 24 successful.

Catching has been a real issue this year. Mori fell off against primary pitching and is unusable (.182) and while he has hit .306 in off-lineups its just .238 on the year. Gentile is young, but also right handed, so hitting him in primaries isnt great. For awhile he was ok, but has been severely slumping, now hitting .238 on the season also. 35.9% success against base stealers is only a bit better than Mori and not what I expect from a 20 arm.

McCann is normally one of the offensive stars, and he has been playing in OF. He isnt trash like 2054, but hitting .279 is not what I'd like to see. He has stolen 30 of 41 attempts and has a career high 20 homers. The team is decent at homers this year. So I tried to get him some work at C to boost the offense and he has been getting those small injuries so that isnt working at all.

CF Paez is having an off year. D is still awesome, but .263 and a .700 OPS are an issue. Especially following 3 amazing seasons.

3B has also been a problem. Mares isnt really playable in primaries, Holley in off-lineups. But if someone isnt hurt, they're excellent. Mares is hitting .270 on the season with 16 homers. He's capable of a lot more, but there was no reason to keep playing him in all lineups and see if he responds, for Holley has been batting leadoff a lot of the season (with Hodson not in primary lineups again until recently), he's hitting .318 with an OBP of .423. He's not a SB threat but he gets on base. But he is prone to missing a few games here or there. He is still learning 3B, so 8 errors in 60 games there is not fabulous. Mares has 3 lol.

But there are guys having normal seasons:

Gomez is hitting .313 on the season with 10 errors in 91 games. 3 of them were in one inning as mentioned in forum so he is now known as "Triple Doink".

Goodson hit 17,16,17 homers in his first 3 seasons, and he just hit his 18th lol. Similar to his rookie season he has been hitting everyone, and has good splits. So he at least, is relatively what I expected this year.

Or surprises:

Padgett was a platoon right fielder with lots of pop. Which was where he played early in the season. He played in all lineups for a bit, but as a S, his splits seemed to reverse as he did best in primaries. He was our only offensive all-star, and he's turned in the best season of his career batting .283 with 27 homers and 106 RBI's. He's just 26. Who knows what will happen?

Ursler was brought up to get some experience, and ended up staying to play in off lineups, as his .351 against LHP is excellent. Also 0 errors in 23 games in OF, despite atrocious fielding.

I have always tried to build depth to avoid some slumps leading to disaster, so OF's Glover and Waters have played more this year than in awhile. Glover is batting .303 with a .394 OBP and a .857 OPS. I know I know, why is he a backup? Waters in hitting .287 with a .365 OBP and .835 OPS. They have played in 50 games a piece and often not the same ones, as they are both right handed but have different splits this season. So yes, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. But we are 83-60 lol

Our BP dramatically improved, but not really because of new blood. Crawford returned to form and Coronado and Bustamante decided they could get people out and have been solid, as has veteran Roque for the most part.

Its the SP that has been unusual. Kennedy, as I said, has 12 losses and it seems he should have been in the running for all time wins. Next time maybe. Olivera was in the all star game but has been struggling a lot. He's 9-12 with a 4.72 ERA. Horrible for the guy who won a CY just 2 seasons ago and is 30. Just 2 of his last 11 starts were even acceptable. So he took a seat.

The Mayor generally doesnt start that much. He is the traditional opening day starter but generally would step in in case of injury or fatigue. He didnt start his 2nd game until Jun 5. This is by far the best season of his career: 15-2, 2.27 ERA, 10 CG 16/20 QS. We would not be here without him.

Moreno hasnt been terrible but not close to good overall. He has a 4.63 ERA and 19 HR allowed in 112 2/3 IP. This follows a 2057 that he was 11-8 3.46. He has the best RS on the team.

Omi was introduced into the starting rotation, and though he has cooled off lately: 13-5, 3.69 ERA, 12 HR in 148 2/3 IP. Cant complain about the production but he stunted at 98 SI.

I have been shuffling things around desperately trying to stay ahead, so Nunez swapped spots with Olivera. He's been fine for the most part. 6 starts, 3.86 ERA and 2 HR in 40 IP.

Trying to develop Kono was probably a waste of time, as he has never shown anything. Yagami has had his moments, though overall 5.14 ERA in 35 IP. He's gonna have to cut down on hits/HR with the walks. I had been loath to pitch Olivares with everything so tight this year: first we were 18-25, and then it was trying to protect our lead. Nevertheless, he has 20 IP this season and a 2.21 ERA (with no UER). He was probably pitching similar to who he is today: 2 HR allowed, but no walks (and no other hits in 6 IP). Ill take a few longballs if hits and walks are low (what the now seldom used Lagos used to do).

Thanks to long hook settings, Lagos has pitched 14 innings this year, and not good ones. Not sure that he's finished, but left handed relief is short. He's the only other lefty reliever besides Crawford. Next season Romo, Perkins and who knows who may get a shot.

Go Infernos!

Updated Tuesday, February 28 2023 @ 8:45:14 pm PST
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well time to look at the Update and the kids. One of only two really fat updates of the year. A reminder that the minor leaguers grind in the caribbean league or something after the minor league season is over lol

Gentile has gained 3 SI this year - 2 PD and 1 Hit. Safe to say he is on a Gomez trajectory, skipping BC, little power, fielding capped. While I love hitting and PD, he was below average at the plate and 35.9% on CS. He will need to improve.

Buck has gotten a nice amount of SI this year, even though sparingly used. In fact 5,7,6,6 SI each season Ive had him. He's put together a decent year at the plate too, .279 with a nice .375 OBP. If he gets 17/19 on Hit/PD like Holley I will be ecstatic.

Ursler continues his low key grind. He moves to all lineups with the end of the season approaching - he'll have about 50 games this season. Popping 5 SI overall so far.

Stephens in interesting. Once he was top of the cutlist. That call subsided as he is projected to rise in POT and found his bat in AAA, hitting .338 against LHP. Like most low PD guys, he's not going to gain much there but he gains elswhere. He gained a fielding, which could be important because if he can provide some depth at 3B, that would be good. Though being right-handed doesnt help there.

Reis I am less excited about. His hit tool development probably wont be robust, so he really needs to do better on fly balls and power to succeed at a non priority position like 1B.

I held off promoting Whip to AAA, as he hadnt had a full season in AA. Like Gentile, his PD seemed to double dip. But he also has quite a bit of room elsewhere. Though .286 is a bit lower than previous seasons, he's been pretty consistent.

Zapata had a shocking .300 year in AA, starting with a hit tool of 5. He is just the 3rd guy without a hitting comment I've held on to. Hoping one day he can be a backup infielder and steal some bases.

Not enthused about Salas, especially since he's really a 12, but he did show good flyball ability so far.

Newell is my second most exciting prospect. He hit .311 in AA, and though he doesnt get recommended as quick as Whip is starting to show nice power. He also has the GH comment and most of the others are just VG. He is a really aggressive baserunner for a 13 speed. At 70.8% success its possible he might be one in the bigs.

What a difference a year makes for Nelson. He hit .260 last season and had a hit tool of 11. 5 more SI this season and he's batted .298 in the bigs, and led all minor leaguers with a .357 average when put back in AAA earlier this season.

Carr is already in the 12 range. So with 1.5 seasons in AAA he's probably done with that. He was a solid near .300 hitter but not a superstar. If Arriaga cant get hot at the start of next season, he may be gone. He really fell off this year and was virtually unplayable. Carr will need to be available in that case. While it is less of a concern, Paez had a very mediocre year and will be 32 next season.

Monroy is one of the youngest League-ready prospects but hasnt done much at the plate and is an off-lineup guy.

Nadeau improved a lot on his short stint in AAA last season, batting .290 with 12 HR and 50 RBI. He has a career .83 FB rate with over 3000 PA and over .800 OPS the last 3 seasons. Like Carr, a year+ in AAA may be all he gets. He may start in the OF, as his fielding is just 11 right now.

Other fuzzy cheeked "youngsters" such as Shanks and Mori look done. Mori is over his 1,000 AB and at 105 SI, is well short of 14 POT. Another season like this one wont be acceptable, with the assumption that other C will emerge (Gentile hasnt set the roof on fire and McCann gets hurt a lot playing C). Shanks is who he is, a solid platoon 2B who should be more aggressive stealing lol

Yagami and Kono may squeeze out an SI or two between now and seasons end but are likely done for this year. Yagami hasnt been awful compared to low light seasons that people like Blazes have turned in, pitching 41 inning or so with a 5.01 ERA. He has been effective at times, but will need to cut down on his homers. Like a lot of P, where his SI ends up is important. He's gained 10 this season and his floor is 19 SI away. Didnt have him in Spring and Detroit barely used him. That will change

Kono has been straight trash all season, even in situations that arent over-extended. But, he had tossed two very solid starts his last two outings. He does not seem to have real value at this points, but we will see. He's gained 19 SI this season and his floor is 17 SI away.

Olivares has put in some great work this season with limited opportunities. He's pitched the exact same innings as last season (31 2/3) but cut down on homers, ERA, everything. The best part is just 8 walks.

Perkins is a guy I found mid-season on waivers and been trying to correct his training. He was one of those bouncy guys but in his last season in the minors his Hits/IP is reasonable, as well as control and homers. He's gained 8 SI this year and perhaps he can be a velocity/control guy like Olivares (both have little else). Westland actually did use him in Spring and probably cut him because the homer numbers were pretty bad for not starting any games. But having been through this with Blazes, (just 4 in 71 IP this season) it can be a fluke. His minors work doesnt show that homers are a big problem. We'll see.

Romo was another guy with strange development, who I claimed as an afterthought and never thought I'd get. I put him in AA but in much of the season, he only gained a fielding, so I put him in AAA, where he has gained some SI. His work has been pretty decent, and he is likely to have a shot at starting when he eventually comes up. Hes apparently spent some time languishing on the league roster.

Quite impressed by CaƱizles. He has 8 control and walked a few batters, but otherwise he was outstanding. The AI rode him hard, starting 27 games and striking out 178 in 217 IP. He's gained 10 SI and is now recommended.

Ortiz is the only one of my 3 signees to gain any SI. No use in the tag end of the minor league season closed. Nice to see gain in non-commented stats. Baldwin got a few innings and was unimpressive. Poirer is a puzzle. The most significant thing about him is the force-promote did not have the usual results and he was put back in Rookie. At 22 he gets automatic recommend, so not a big deal.

Main thing I got from draft was Stowe. Really nice P so far. Very good year in all ways in AA. He has no fastball, 9 SI has yielded no gain in Velocity, but If he rises to 13 and loads up on his other attribs, I dont mind a break from all the heat. I will eventually need other kinds of pitchers lol

Limon gained a small amount of SI. He was a #3 this year by Kenosha. Has done little of note in AA aside from good homer numbers. He SI is just 44 right now though. He is in the mold of Olivares and Perkins.

Unfortunately, 13 POT Blazes is done at 104, Coronado at 106, Omi stunting at 98, Crawford at 97. Thats a whole lot of stunting lol. But I cant complain too much as they all had good seasons and made the difference this year. Three of them in relief and Omi as #4 SP.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The Infernos Way: Screw Up Today, But Plan For Tomorrow seemed like it should be our motto...

Lakeville castoff Kono started 10 games this season and did nothing but suck...until his last 3 starts at 95 SI or so. He pitched at least 5 innings and allowed 2,1,1 ER. We still lost 2 of the 3 games. He's on a Yamasaki-esque trajectory, who we cut earlier this season and had a nice season starting for Saratoga. But he doesnt appear like he will more than an average pitcher when developed if even that. Sidelining decent pitchers like Nunez. (2-2 3.86 ERA). I cant control myself on these projects I guess lol

Detroit castoff Yagami has had a few nice outing in short relief and some rough ones. Needs some improvement on hits and homers, since he is a low control guy.

But your Infernos have clinched the West!!! So both of these beauts will have 150 pitch outings against Costa Mesa to close the season and then take a seat for the playoffs.

At the close of the season, for a much shorter period than usual, since the race was pretty hot until we swept a crucial series, the kids got some AB: Carr, Monroy and Nelson were called or recalled, and the younger players moved to every lineup status. Not a great hitting year for us or the League, as usually platoon Burnett now got enough AB to qualify for tops in League at .305. Leading the league with that is a joke.

Kennedy and The Mayor are too important to risk injury, so they will have to sit, Kennedy to be satisfied with 20 wins, an Infernos record 20 complete games, and second with 7 shutouts, and the Mayor with a 16-4 record and a league best 2.48 ERA. He had 11 complete games and 3 shutouts himself.

Undecided for Game 3. Olivares might be good to go, but he is the only other developing pitcher who can benefit from some innings, and has been really good, so he will be on the playoff roster.

Question is has Olivera rested his ailing arm? Horrible slump by me, but I will give him a shot in the playoffs to see if he can turn it around. We have a great chance to win if my 3 main P can do as well as they are capable of.

Now to face the Aces and pummel their faces!

III? REEEEEEE not ready!
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
As expected, it was a tight series with Asheville, as there were 3 extra inning games. While it went to 6 games and avoided a 3rd start by Kennedy, he himself left Game 1 tied at 1-1 which we won in extras when Waters doubled in Burnett in duelling Stewart (who shut us out in Game 5) and pitched all 10 innings as Mori won it in 10 with a 2 run homer. Though hitting was sparse thanks to Asheville's pitching, I think we played just a bit more clutch. Olivera had been the the doghouse a month, and came in Game 3 and pitched well, but they outlasted us and an Arce homer won it for them in 11. The Mayor clobbered them in an 8-0 win in Game 2, but was on the other end of a 3-0 Stewart shutout in Game 5. Finally, it was a choice between Omi and Moreno for Game 6. I went with Moreno (who has pitched in every championship series) as he seems to have much better run support, and in fact we had an 8-0 lead after 5 in a 9-5 win to take the series.

There are a number of guys who have played in all the series, but 35 year old Hodson, who finished his Age 35 season hitting .309 with an .803 OPS and was particularly deadly when a Lefty such as Francis took the mound but overall was 13-26 with 1 HR and 3 RBI in the series. Big time.

Mori played just 1 game (Francis was Asheville's only L-SP), but came up big with that homer. McCann hit .476 but overall, we were below our season averages at .271 as a team and held to a .320 OBP. We did hit 6 homers, about where we were for the season. But the pitchers had a 2.24 ERA with games started by the Big K and The Mayor going 3-1.

See you in III next season, Asheville! More games to be played

electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So the wrap up of our 2058 season as far as individual player activity. Kono got a couple more pops so 21 SI gained on the year. Also toward the end he strung together 4 decent to good starts, so perhaps he is gaining some value. He is on the brink of major league curveball and pop fastball, which could be beneficial with more stamina to gain. Of course, he could stunt at 107 like Yamasaki. Olivares has an 18 fastball now, and was very good in limited time this season. Yagami unfortunately didnt gain, and has just 10 SI or so on the season. Spring was basically over when I got him. One of the lightest updates Ive ever had.

To the surprise of no one, Kennedy won the CY. The Mayor got 12 votes. I thought it might be Aldermans first All-League but nope. Omi was second in RPOY. Paez got a Gold Glove in CF. So for the first time since 2052, we dont have any Rookies of the year.

Not too much going on with changes in POT, and nothing good. FA signing Baldwin dropped to 10 and was cut. Monroy dropped to 12, not a big surprise, since he's already at 15 hitting. If he reaches the far end of 12 range it wont make much difference. Reis and Stephens stayed the same. Surprised about Stephens. Maybe he breaks into 13 POT like Waters did.

Previous Page | Show All |