Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How not to finish a season!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
2-22 !!!

Ok, whats the big idea?
Three seasons in Div VI.17 and things are looking worse, even though my players skillwise are a bit better than past seasons.
Any pointers welcome.
Magic wands more than welcome.
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
get rid of every over the age of 28 on your roster, go young, look for anybody on the waivers 24-25 with good or btter potential, you will suck for another cpl seasons, but focus on getting younger, as once a guy his 30 he starts to decline rapidly and most of your guys are 30+ and barely 90 SI, for instance i have 3 guys in my minors who are 22 or younger and they are all 90+ SI
when i first joined, i basically signed anyone i could that was 24-25 and over 80 SI, i found a few guys that were low si but good potential and i signed them too, i finished last two seasons in a row, but this season my guys are ripping and are only 27-28, and i have had 3 seasons worth of draft picks to build my minor leagues so next season or a season after when these guys start to decline i have 23-24 year olds ready to take slide right into that slot.
this worked for me, and im reaping the benefits at the moment i barely won anything for my first two seasons, i just focused on finding young talent and getting out of debt, which i was over 10 million in debt when i joined, im now approaching 40million in the positives and im primed to when my league and promote:D
this worked for me, but i will say pitchers are hard to come by, thats still my weak point, as i have multiple players at every position with good or better potential, and my pitching is nowhere near that level. working on it though!
good luck!
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks my man. Lots now to think about, plus its nice to know it's fixable. And yeah signing decent players, pitchers especially, is a head banger, strictly for the insomniacs. I dont try. Just filled my roster with teenagers.

Also: can better management of my current squad improve results?

So like Oakland are 7-3
Texas 2-8
There is justice !!!!
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Question still stands.
Why did my team go approx. 5-30?
What is so bad with my players? Age or no age.
Skillwise better than start of season, but end so badly.
A 15 skilled 33y.o. is better than a 10 skilled 24y.o. surely?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
To start with, your hitting is pretty average. But your pitching needs a lot of work (ERA 5.00+). Specifically, you've got two guys in Pearson & Leyva that are killing you.

Leyva has no control, he walked 100 batters in only 175 innings. That's way too high.

Pearson doesn't walk many, he just can't get hitters out. He's got a .322 batting average against -- that's just not going to fly in any league.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for reply. Very useful !!!
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There's a lot to say from an analysis point. Just quickly though, I think one very big problem is lack of pitchers. Your starters have good stamina, but they're not amazing pitchers. You only have 3 relievers. It would not surprise me if you're running out of fresh arms and they're having to pitch tired. That's unless you dumped some very recently from Steve's suggestion.

More later when I get a chance to look it over further. It doesn't look like your guys are terrible. They're just not good.

Updated Wednesday, September 18 2013 @ 1:53:13 pm PDT
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah damn it. Best lot I've had in three seasons, but worst season I've had. Gonna be a long road to the top.
Good luck. See you there.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
On the good side, you have a vast minor league system. I'd release anyone not 'Good' or better and you should keep your eyes open for Very Goods. A couple more pitching prospects wouldn't hurt.

Look to free agency. Get more in-the-middle age guys (you have very few between 21 and 32 - generation gap). Look for serviceable guys in the 80-90 SI range that can hit decent to get you through the rough years.

There's a definite shortage of proper arms this year and not expecting that to get much better next year. Do what you can, but do it young. There seems to be a possibly mythical cliff at 32 where pitchers, even with decent stats, seem to forget how to pitch. It looks like you may be dealing with almost a full staff that fell off the cliff. I don't know if it's been confirmed or not but the myth is there.

One other thing. Get some good lefty bats and limit lefty pitchers. Lefty hitters hit righty batters more often, maybe .30 to .40 points higher. Lefty pitchers tend to get beat up by righties but are great against teams that stack lefties.

There's also a 70/30 split between right handed and left handed pitchers so you will see more righties and taking advantage of the righty-lefty split by getting solid lefty or switch bats will help raise that batting average.

Knowing this, next year take a look at the other 11 teams and who their starters are. If you see the league leaning to more lefty starters than righties, you'll want to make sure you get solid right-handed bats to compensate.

Build for the future and only accept the best (work on getting that minor system full of very goods). Hope it helps.
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Brilliant. Very helpful, more than I expected.
Thanks a lot.
Now open up the trading post Steve !!!

Previous Page | Show All |