Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> The Closer Index: A look into the Top 50 BBB teams Closers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I will add that Boulder has skewed your stats slightly sorry - we only threw Valle in the closer role to see how he'd go to finish last season - we haven't run a genuine closer to ages.

But to make it not a complete inaccuracy, the job is his for now until he fails.....
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm one that doesn't use a closer. Probably an outdated way of thinking with RD settings now, but just give me 2 SET that throw slop and we'll figure out how to get the last few outs if we get there. Just something I'm comfortable with.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

when a team did not have a closer they usually had a strong LHS, RHS and a 2 setup pitchers. Essentially having those 4 act as one closer

that's exactly what the Mules do, and it works to keep salary down as well by spreading Saves among 4 or 5 players.

Last time I used a Closer, we lost him by lack of funds :(
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The Goldendoodles haven’t named a closer yet. Need to see what waivers brings first. We really need a couple of starters with stamina then hopefully one of last years low stamina starters moves into the long term closer role.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've used exactly two closers over the past 15 seasons. One lasted 10.5 seasons and is in my HOF, http://brokenbat.org/player/171437.

The other is my current closer, http://brokenbat.org/player/261610, who's been in that role for the last 4.5 seasons and will likely retain that role for another 6-7 seasons.

The one thing both of them have in common is that they completely failed as starters who performed much better in a single inning situation. Very similar to real MLB situations in fact.

In fact, I've had a lot of success transforming failed starters into successful MR/SU/Closers. In fact, my primary MR last season had more IP than all but one starter and got 7 Cy Young votes.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/249244

Check out this guy's 2052 season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow...! If he could do that every season, I'd have a 20M contract waiting for him, LOL.

Not too surprising 2053 was his highest contract year.

Updated Wednesday, November 22 2023 @ 11:09:16 am PST
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
interesting stats...got me wondering, what percent of times should a typical closer preserve a win if he enters the game with a 1 run lead in the top of the ninth inning.

the goal is to evaluate closer's performance.

this was a job for super search engine!!! here's what i found:

below is a path to a win expectancy calculator, which projects about 70% of the time no runs will score...and 7 out of 8 times (86%) the home team will win (i e, home teams comes to bat after losing the lead and rescues the win about 15% of the instances). 

from this figures it seems one can expect 2 saves for every 1 blown save when leading by 1 run with 1 inning left (the classic closer situation)

https://gregstoll.com/~gregstoll/baseball/stats.html#V.1.9.0.1.0.0

Updated Wednesday, November 22 2023 @ 1:55:44 pm PST
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball

Wow...! If he could do that every season, I'd have a 20M contract waiting for him, LOL.

And how's he not in top 5 of Cy Young votes and no All-Star and no All-League that season, he might be affordable.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

Crazy ERA that year, but for even 6M, I'd want at least c. 2052-2057 "Saint" Diego Nava
In those years, he got
- 2 Cup rings
- 2 all-league spots
- 2 all star nods

Actually, for a closer, make that 54/55.
0.146 BAA in Legends over 2 years

Previous Page | Show All |