Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2056 Infernos + Orphans Baseball   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Very good training update for us, 16 arrows. Since we are in the last year of our 5 season rebuild, not many players on Roster still gaining SI. And now most of the AAA group are recommended to League.

We lead by 11 and 11 1/2 over #2 and #3 so I am not adjusting my rosters with the minor league season concluded. Seems even more secure with those teams having to play each other as well as me. Anyway, Olivera and Corral will continue chasing 20 wins and

Kennedy, Bustamante, Buck and Gomez get the call up and barring injury, Wiggins, Yamasaki, Hodson, Waters seasons have concluded.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So, we played Albuquerque and while Corral tossed a 2-0 shutout to win his 18th, Olivera did not pitch well and we lost the 2nd game 5-2.

The big news is "Mr. President" got his very first league start, and while he didnt open the game with a hit batsman like Olivera did once up a time, he did toss 5 innings with 1 ER allowed with 1 walk and 6 strikeouts. He did hit someone later though xD. He had a whopping 11 ground balls and 1 fly ball. I was not expecting this after his struggles in Spring, but that was 16 SI ago. He was lights out in AAA this season. We were lucky to pull out the game in the 11th. Johansen allowed a 2 out two run double to break a tie in the top of the inning, and we loaded the bases with 1 out in the bottom half, and after Nak's sac fly made it 3-2, Mares had an RBI single and Mori, of all people, had a two run single that brought in the deciding runs.

Crawford relieved 2 games and is on a run of his own: 17 scoreless innings.

With even more developing guys getting work since the roster adjustment, our offense was poor throughout. 2 in game 1, 2 in game 2, and it took extra innings to get more than 1 in game 3. But we are at least 11 1/2 games ahead of everyone and out magic number is 20.

Depending on good pitching to help us grab some wins.

Updated Friday, September 23 2022 @ 4:43:40 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Wont be too many seasons like this. Not only have I broken my own not too impressive record for most wins today with 97, I have had career years from 35 year old Corral (who set a Inferno record today with his 21st win) and Olivera, who joined the 20 win club himself. Olivera had previously tied the "modern" record for wins (19, Phil Wallace, 2027) in 2052 (our first competitive team). I. Cha and H. Palmer who?

Because of those guys dominance (and solid performances by The Mayor and Moreno), I was able to get a huge jump on 2057. I have been finishing up the last leg of my 5 season rebuild, and these guys got way more work than expected.

27 year old developmental IF Burnett (13-99), got to play daily for the last little bit and has played in 33 games hitting .328/5/24. He is viewed as a depth piece and its not that easy to get him work as 35 year old Grooms is not exactly washed up: (.322/5/40). That they both could hit primary pitching very well was huge, because the guy supposed to take over that role, Zavala (60G/.202/7/24), had a very bad season. Fellow left-handed IF, 21 year old Gomez has 37 games played and unlike Burnett, has done little with the opportunity. (.193/1/7) 37 K's. I wasnt going to throw a 11 fielding guy out there, so he mainly stunk it up at 3B (5 errors - 33 GS).

Glover has reached his 1000 AB, hitting .315 in 84 games with 10 homers and 45 RBI's. While he did, contrary to previous years, hit lefties, his excellence against same-sided pitching continues. If he maintains his career marks of .287 and .369 OBP that is just fine. If he is not done developing he is likely close. Waters, who is essentially a twin in projected usage, has had a weird year where he has been in AAA as a roster move but has hit .297 in 53 games. They are both 26.

Goodson has made way for some guys at 1B/DH and played only in primary lineups. Yet he is as productive or more so in 83 games, hitting .311/16/60. 2055's ROY is also near or over 1000 AB. I assume for these purposes at least Cup games count for revealing player tendencies.

Unlike some, Shane Collins started on the League roster this season and was on the team all year. So he has made it into 48 games hitting (.287/2/16). There is really no place to put him, as he has little power and low fielding, with others such as Goodson or Hodson offering other things. That being said, he is far from #50 on the roster.

Mares, who I should think is the front runner for 2056 ROY, is hitting .284/22/88, and like Goodson last year, showed a remarkable ability to hit all pitching. He is also hitting it out 1/21.4 AB which for him is actually quite a slump from before lol. He hits it in the air: .51 GB.

Buck has also been recalled and been pretty cold compared to where he was when he played earlier in the season. Part of that is he has been very poor against same-sided pitching, but getting him AB is the game now. 40 games (.275/3/22). He still has a decent .343 OBP.

Alford has turned in a poor season in what was expected to be a decent backup OF one. 62 games (.226/4/20). He did however pop 5 SI this season. He has logged 61 of those at RF/CF and surrendered 0 errors and logged 11 OA. The guy can bag em up.

Mori has turned in a similar season, 37G (.225/1/14). He has however been poor at C: 21.1% CS. Gentile got the call (but has only completed 1 season in AAA), so 2057 may be his last chance to show something. I do like C that can gun them down, and while McCann does fine there, I am considering putting him at RF in 2057 to avoid some of those 2 day injuries.

Padgett seems very Zavala-ish. While he may gain a little on his attribs, it seems unlikely he will start raking like he did in the minors. But like St. Smash, he has a nice ability to go long: 43G (.216/6/13). He lets them fly at a .64 GB clip. His OBP is 80 points higher than his Avg...but when the avg is .216...well I view him as a non-primary platoon player.

I have few developing pitchers right now who are projected to have dramatically upped usage, but Waiver claimer Stan Crawford has appeared in 34G as LHS (3.13 ERA). Valadez has appeared in 20 and remarkably, given up no homers in 38 2/3 IP. He is a bit worse than Crawford in allowing hits and strikes out very few.

I never projected Nunez as more than a reliable #4-5 starter type, but I was hoping for a bit better than 4.39 with 107 hits in 92 IP. He did however grow 15 SI this season and is presumably done.

Mr. President has logged 5 starts with a 4.88 ERA. He continues to have some issues with allowing hits (as he did in Spring) but has a gigantic ceiling. His FIP is 3.56.

Bennent has struggled some and spent much of his time here at AAA. Yamasaki and Wiggins are hanging on as little used emergency pitchers at this point. While 3.88 isnt dramatic, its still the best team ERA I've had.

Hodson enters his Age-34 season. Like Shockley, the transition has already begun. He will be used but more strategically, and often will make way for now more proven other options. He hit .303 this year with 49 SB, 8 homers and 47 RBI.

Nak will also be 34. With his decline in F/R, I tried to get him into LF this season but it wasnt to be in most cases. His bat is as potent as ever, .310/32/106. He has played 103 games at 2B. He could have the highest average and lowest errors (7) he's ever had at current pace.

I dont really want to speak of declines before they happen, but its hard to think Grooms and Corral will not fall off severely next season. They have both given me way more than I ever expected. Other things such as, is it worth paying Johansen 2.6M to only show up half the year? Unfortunately I have little trust in Coronado and Bustamante. Coronado was supposed to be up all year, but simply hasnt been good when he has, with all the walks. Bustamante went down after a horrible spring but has been somewhat better since returning.

Sure, I could have the whole rotation be the developing guys going forward but I will not. I want to see how far Corral, Olivera and Nakajima can take things. Many guys are sitting now but we have an easy shot at 100 wins and well, winnings fun lol

Updated Thursday, September 29 2022 @ 6:20:33 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
A very strong update as was last week. Most of the other ones have been very meh.

Mares reaches 16 fielding as this year showed he was not going to crap out at the low end of 12 like so many have before. Hopeful his outstanding defense can continue. It should be noted his skill is not even 3 but 2.6, as he was originally a 2B with some training in OF. 1 Error per 17.57 games, compared to other guys in 2055: (1/11.54G), 2054: (1/7.29G), 2053: (1/9.45G). Numbers somewhat skewed by pinch hitting or defensive replacement but suffice it to say, 3B defense blew.

Alford gained 1 in fielding, and while his outstanding defense is part of why he's still on the team, that is not where I need him to gain lol.

4/5 of Gentiles SI gain this season has been Hitting/PD which totally works for me.

Nelson was promoted to AAA late in the season and struggled quite a bit, hitting .205. He has low attributes for AAA, but in addition to popping a POT he gained strongly with 6 SI. 4 of the 6 being HIT/BC. Like Alford, probably not going to ever do that much with the bat, despite the "Great Hitting" comment, but was a freebie FA signing at the end of 2055 and is yet more OF depth. Padgett complicates his path a bit, but a deep team is what I strive for.

Nadeau has come on nicely this season. He's gained 6 SI and moved to AA with little effect on his strong hitting performance (esp power and fb). He never hit .300 before this season. Doubt that continues for too much longer as he has no hitting comment. He will be skilled in SS/2B/OF when he arrives.

Whipple and Newell have had unusually strong growth for 17 year olds (4 SI a piece). Though I have not had many NP arrive that young, McCann and Nadeau only had 2. I hope that is great news. Newell has been a sensation but Whipple has raised his stock hitting .303 in Rookie Ball.

Crawford wasted no time popping 4 arrows. The increase in velocity is nice. I dont need a lot of fireballers but some of the guys are pretty low. Mr. President got 4 arrows.

Cole has had 4/5 SI be CoS/Con. Since he has no comments at all besides limited stamina this cant be a surprise lol. He's a curiosity in that he stayed at 12 POT, so I'd like to see where his SI goes. The AI only started him once in his recent assignment to AA, and he responded with a 1.78 ERA with 0 homers in 35 2/3 IP and only 37 hits (with his Velocity of THREE).

Finley (Waiver deadline signing) gained last week and now this week as well. Dont know what to think of him yet, but he's been decent in the low minors. 17 year old Harrison, the other deadline signing, gained as well.

Looking good, Infernos

Updated Friday, September 30 2022 @ 6:00:29 am PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
2056 Season wrap:

Irvine Infernos (101-59) 1st RD +183

Hitting:

.282 AVG (1st)
1603 Hits (1st)
181 HR (4th)
806 RBI (2nd)
458 BB (10th)
148 SB (3rd)
.337 OBP (3rd)
.462 SLG (1st)
.798 OPS (2nd)
.295 RISP (1st)
1.05 GB (4th)

Pitching:

1374 Hits (4th)
616 ER (3rd)
452 BB (2nd)
761 K (12th)
139 HR (3rd)
20 CG (1st)
4 SO (3rd)
84 QS (4th)
3.86 ERA (3rd)
4.31 FIP (5th)
.249 BAA (3rd-T)
1.293 WHIP (3rd)
64.5 ST% (5th)
1.16 GB (2nd)

The spotlight this last part of the season has been on the developing guys who would not normally be playing much...

Tatsuo Mori actually improved from putrid to below average at the plate (.233). He did so while mostly hitting same-sided pitching. However despite a prolific slugger comment and 12 current attribute he hit only 2 home runs and SLG .367. He also only drew 5 walks despite a not horrible 10 on PD. These become more significant as his only possible position is C and with his 16 arm he had a 25% CS rate. He will also be 27 next season.

If its a push offensively between the two, great defensive C Gentile in AAA will get the nod. For now, Gentile will stay where he is and Mori will have a chance in 2057 to earn his spot.

He's not technically a young/developing player. But Shane Collins, who probably is done at 87 SI, will be 28, and after developing him for parts of 2054 and 2055 one the League Roster, he's been available all season. Seldom used until late in the season, he hit .276/3/19 in 228 AB. He does not hit same sided pitching well, but was .293 against RHP. Still glides by on the "he's not the #50 player on the roster" but doesnt have that much use most of the time.

2055 ROY Edward Goodson. The Good News: .307/16/60. .892 OPS. The Bad News: with 387 PA he only gained 2 SI, so that may indicate he is done at 91. If so, he is the latest great hitter who cant seem to make it past 18, even though he rise from 11-12 POT. Great hitter, used mostly in a platoon role, as his same-sided hitting fluke in 2055 didnt seem like it was happening this season.

Ryan Buck struggled quite a bit more against same sided pitching in his recall than he did earlier in the season. He hit .269/4/25. He hit .333 against LHP and overall had a .340 OBP.

Possible 2056 ROY Alberto Mares. .283/22/89 in 129 games, and like Goodson the year previous, had outstanding success against same-sided pitching. Splits were .280/.284. He had much better D at 3B than I am used to: 7 errors in 124 starts. Striking out 1/4.73AB is also pretty good for 7 BC.

Rob Porter is so low on the totem pole he barely got in there even when the season was all but over. He hit .232 in 69 AB and didnt distinguish himself in 20 starts at C. He will be 24 next season and not much more time for him to prove himself. He will get another Spring and another AAA posting, but time is running out. He is very streaky. He was very hot when sent down early in the season and cooled off to .289 by the time he was recalled.

Owen Burnett ended up in 43 games, and had just 2 errors in 43 starts at SS. He skill at SS is a not dramatic 1.8. Though 27 is a bit old for a developmental SS, he probably is at or near his SI and Grooms is 35. He did not hit well in the minors and I wasnt expecting much (except for that fielding). He was torrid for a lot of his season but kept facing same-sided pitching again and again, finishing at .299/6/29. He was not efficient at SB, stealing 8/14. He hit .370 (and .318 last season for Collierville) against opposite-side pitching. So he will start in those lineups and if he does well, Grooms may retire. The other side of the SS is a bit of a mess, as Zavala had a bad season and Grooms took a lot of his AB in the crucial parts of the season.

Rudy Gomez, our 2053 #1, is one of the few who there is nothing optimistic to write about. He played in nearly 50 games, barely crossed the Mendoza line, and struck out a ton. He wasnt getting on base otherwise or hitting with any particular pop. I played him at 3B, where was minimally skilled, and he booted as many balls as Mares did all season. I was hoping he would earn a spot in primary middle infield lineups but he didnt. He is only 21 but has an inevitable POT loss in 2057 because his BC is stuck.

Shun Ono was up for 10 games. Another one of those old Asian League guys you see everywhere. He has logged 138 AB in League this season, and hit .159. As bad as Mori was for awhile. When it comes to low man on the totem pole, he is probably it. But I am not entirely sold on his competition for a roster spot (thought as a L, Ono could still platoon), which is:

RJ Padgett hit .230 and had notable power with 7 homers. The issue? He is a S who hit .193 against RHP. However, he did draw 17 walks, so he can get on base. He's a slick fielding RF who absolutely can have a role, but if he can only play against Lefties, he is not as valuable. Padgett is younger with room to grow still.

Reginald Glover may have finished his development as well. He reached his 1000 AB and turned in a strong .315/10/45 in 84 games. He kept his odd ability to hit same sided pitching with greatly improving his abilities against LHP as well. His OBP is .390.

DJ Alford, like Gomez and Porter, was sent down for much of the season. However his fielding got him back on the field. He did finally make his first error (in the last game of the season!) in 68 games, but I will take it. He had 12 Assists. Anyway, he got very hot at the plate, and ended up right where I was hoping: .251/7/25. Average hitting is just fine from a switch hitting, great fielding projects as a backup CF/RF. Hopefully his power can be consistent and make up for minimal OBP ability. For an 8 BC, striking out 1/5.76 AB is excellent. Yes folks, we are the Leagues only 4 digit whiff team.

Pitchers:

Kaito Yamasaki came of age this season, his rise from 105 to 107 SI completing his development. He ended up with 12 movement and attribs no different than a finesse pitcher could have. In any case, despite it all, he was acceptable. A few too many homers (6 in 35 1/3 IP) WHIP of 1.302. 4.08 ERA and a strong .222 BAA. So, he may spend 2057 in the minors as an emergency backup.

Stan Crawford got quite a bit of use as a Left-Handed reliever since being picked up in late April. 60 IP, an ERA of 3, just 48 hits, with 15 walks. As slow as I am to admit that a guy just came in and replaced another guy, Crawford did just that, and I released Benavidez.

Rodrigo Nunez also came of age. Overshooting a bit what I predicted his SI to end up at. He was a 5th starter this season and fulfilled expectations. 107 hits in 92 1/3 was a bit worrisome. Also getting crushed for 3 homers in his last game when 3 was his season total prior. He survives by not walking people and keeping it in the park. 2.05BB/9 is good on that score.

Felipe Valadez was picked up from Bloomington in ST. 14 walks and 0 homers in 48 innings. But his super low velocity meant 10 strikeouts and 58 hits. 3.94 ERA and 1.521 WHIP. A lot depends on where he ends up SI wise: currently 85.

Vance Bennent was an unexpected waiver pickup. Hard to find a place for him on the staff, but he is just 21. Struggled with a 5.59 ERA, 3 HR, 22 Hits in 19 1/3 IP. Where he lands on SI also very important for him.

Juan Carlos Bustamante had a horrible Spring. He has had a decent outing here and there, but is very erratic with control problems. He has proven again and again not to be an option as SP. Honestly, I dont need more SP, I just need some improvement over some of them (hopefully by themselves lol). 11 IP, 15 hits, 1 HR and a 4.09 ERA wasnt terrible. So I hope he will be usable at some point.

Coronado was back down for part of the season and pitched well, as he is nearing his full SI. In League play he could sometimes toss a good start or a good appearance but not consistently. 27 Walks in 39 IP. 5.45 ERA and 38 hits. He also had some unusual problems keeping the ball down, tossing .77 GB and surrendering 5 homers.

Kennedy was up for 7 starts, with 2 good ones and none that were horribly bad. He tossed 33 1/3 IP with 40 hits, 2 homers and a 4.05 ERA. 13 Walks and 31 K's. I am hopeful for great improvements from him going forward.

Now for the playoffs against Elyria for the V.9 Championship. 7-3 vs. them on the season.

Updated Sunday, October 2 2022 @ 9:01:46 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
As the season concludes with a 17-1 win over Elyria in the playoffs, going nicely with the 21-1 win to open the season, the subject is Rookie Pitchers. Some have urged Kennedy be promoted (which he was recently), others say they might have left him down a bit longer. This is his body of work this season:

L: 33 1/3 IP, 4.05 ERA, 40 Hits, 15 ER, 2 HR, 13/31 BB/K, 1.57 GB, 1.620 WHIP.

P: 12 IP, 1.50 ERA, 9 Hits, 2 ER, 0 HR, 2/12 BB/K, .73 GB, 0.917 WHIP.

Both are dramtic improvements on Spring, which are not taken into consideration because both 150 pitch counts and it was 20 SI ago. Anyway, he has been used exclusively as a starter. I think that is more challenging for a pitcher, since the whole other lineup can be set against them as opposed to some guys with starters attributes do better working in middle relief. Anyway, with Corral Aged 35, and playing in IV for the first time, I will need him.

Probable 2056 Cy Young winner Alex Olivera, when first called up in 2051.

L: 63 1/3 IP, 5.26 ERA, 81 Hits, 37 ER, 9 HR, 23/44 BB/K, 1.29 GB, 1.705 WHIP.

Like most guys, he pitched the vast majority of that year in AAA. Started with 84 SI. Not sure what he had when I promoted him, but he finished the year with 96.

Year 2 (96-112 SI):

L: 213 IP, 3.04 ERA, 202 Hits, 72 ER, 16 HR, 77/141 BB/K, 1.03 GB, 1.324 WHIP.

As you can see, dramatic improvement as pitch skills rise. Though his ERA was the best of his career in L6, he has never walked more batters than he did in 2052 despite having more IP in all of the following seasons. He has been remarkably consistent considering he does not have any wow (18+) attributes.

Fernando Moreno, when first called up in 2052

L: 58 IP, 4.19 ERA, 54 Hits, 27 ER, 9 HR, 25/32 BB/K, .93 GB, 1.362 WHIP.

In some ways, his debut was stronger than Olivera, though as a lefty, there were not many strikeouts. Started year with 86 SI, finished with 98. What was different is he pitched most of 2053 in the minors as well.

Year 2 (98-109 SI):

L: 77 IP, 3.04 ERA, 82 Hits, 26 ER, 7 HR, 26/37 BB/K, 1.09 GB, 1.468 WHIP.

Unfortunately his development stopped at 112. So he did not reach his movement comment, his control remained below average for a SP. He has been solid most of the time, but never the front end SP I hoped for. I dont know whether that is something I did (I recall waiting 5 empty cycles in AAA before moving him up permanently) or it was foretold by his drop from 15-14 POT beginning his Age 22 season.

The Mayor:

He actually started on the League squad, with 66 SI, so a big disadvantage there. He also pitched the whole 2051 season.

L: 212 IP, 4.88 ERA, 225 Hits, 115 ER, 24 HR, 81/44 BB/K, .95 GB, 1.481 WHIP.

The very fact he could pitch reasonably effectively, especially in comparison to some other guys made me realize his unremarkable attributes under-reported his talent. Left-handed also. he strikes no one out, so when he walks people he is usually not successful.

Year 2 (95-102 SI):

L: 239 2/3 IP, 3.49 ERA, 214 Hits, 93 ER, 20 HR, 47/58 BB/K, 1.18 GB, 1.110 WHIP.

He has a whopping 11 complete games in one of two AS seasons in L6. While he cant match that in higher competition, I am hoping my old pitcher Drew Harvey being successful as a back end SP for Tombstone means he will still be able to maintain something close to his current performance.

So I take year 1 as instructive but not the whole tale. A bit harder to do this on relievers. Some show effective earlier, some later and some go back and forth.

Updated Wednesday, October 5 2022 @ 4:27:35 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Comings/Goings 2056

Joseph Cole (3 waiver claims)

Finesse pitcher with limited stamina comment, rose to AA. AI used him optimally there (just 1 GS) and he threw 35 1/3, 1.78 ERA, 9 BB, 0 HR.

Felipe Valadez (9 claims)

He came back to us after we let him go in the 2052 season. 29G, 48 IP, 3.94 ERA, 10 BB, 0 HR.

Forrest Newell (Draft #1)

.334/15/104. 47/69 SB. Future primary OF. Super aggressive for someone with 13 speed. Probably wont let him steal as much if he makes it unless he improves his efficiency at it.

Salvador Robledo (Released - Now With Albany)

One of the Pre-Mares/Porter 3B bandaids.

Mauricio Macias (Released)

Low control reliever. Not really sure why I signed him last year and tried to develop. Cleared waivers and sat there ever since, which should tell me something.

Ernie Shockley (Retired)

HOF Ceremonies to be held after Opening Day, 2057.

Marques Kendall (Claim-Released) (2 Claims)

Did not hit well in a short trial in non-primary lineups.

Ethan Whipple (Draft #2)

.303/9/90. Had a fine season at the plate. Not only that, he gained 4 SI in his Age-17 year and was even recommended to A Ball, further raising his stock. He might be able to be a bad-armed 3B after all.

Alejandro Nevarez (Released - Now With RC)

Released him because of the rabbit balls. He did not lose potential at Age-22 but struggled again. He is much better with his new team. But I dont really need more AAA pitchers.

Stan Crawford (19 Claims)

Crucial LHP acquired for BP. 60 IP, 3 ERA, 15 BB, 5 HR.

Vance Bennent (22 claims)

Young, but has not really shined in minor league work or with the team. He has a range of RNG type attributes with nothing exceptional.

Andres Galindo (Released - Now With Pullman)

Hit poorly in AAA and lost POT ate Age 22 season.

Drew Harvey (Released - Now With Tombstone)

One of the key pitchers of our 2053 champions and more recently a back-end SP, he did not crack the rotation this season and signed with Tombstone, where he had a fine season. He will be welcomed back at all "AI-Timers Days"

Tomás Zaragoza (Claim-Released) (2 Claims) - Now With Pullman)

Like Kendall he was intended to beef up primary OF. But I opened his spot for claims thinking I might be able to claim him back but Pullman got him.

Dwayne Knudsen (Released - Now With Boulder)

The one time 14 POT who is now 12, he was part of the competition for R-1B with improved fielding, and he had a very poor spring and hasnt shown much in the higher minors besides getting nice lift on his balls. He was beat out by Buck.

Tatsuo Mori (23 Claims)

I figured training would be fairly pointless for him, like many older Asian League players. He did play some in AAA, but I called him up and he made it into nearly 50 games. He started very badly at the plate and rose to just being bad. Interestingly he hit RHP a bit better. His 25% CS was not to his credit either. Very fringe at this point.

Edgar Benavidez (Released - Now With Tucumcari)
Wasnt pitching well and Crawford's trial run at LHS quickly led to him being released.

Cody Cota (Released - Now With Wellington)

Part of that 1B competition. He was a S, and had some interesting power. Kind of an ill-conceived signing by me at end of 2055.

Benjamin Beatty (Claim-Released) (2 Claims).

Signed to play non-primary 2B (with the fielding decline of Nak). He was OK, but let go to get more Dev for guys that are in my stable of low ceiling 2B room.

Owen Burnett (3 claims)

Hit surprisingly well as primary SS the last quarter of the season. Only 2 errors as well. While I am not sure he can hold up over a whole season playing daily, at this point he seems like a find.

Shawn Holley (2 claims)

Someone I wanted as an alternate 3B (of the mildly short-armed variety) for if Porter never gets better and Mares loses ability to hit reasonably well in all lineups. Great hitter. Unfortunately Paradise Valley trained him in every position but where I want him. While there is no need to call him up from a production standpoint, he is 25 and and his 3B skill in only .6 atm.

Bobby Holden (Released - Now With FHC)

One of the few minor leaguers with decent performance (draftees even) that I have released. But over-claiming pitchers every season eventually led to some tough cuts.

Gaspar Acuna (Claimed - Released)

Let him go after I landed Padgett.

Shun Ono (2 Claims)

Somehow still holding on here (I dont know why). Same situation as Mori with Age - Minor League Training). Some differences. He has no hitting tool but may develop power. Primary OF prospect who has played in about a quarter of the season also (mostly with Prattville). Hitting .159. The first guy to go probably in 2057.

R.J. Padgett (31 Claims)

Like most players high SI players who have busted out of other teams, he has problems hitting primary pitching. Fine with me if he can hit against some kind of pitching consistently. Logged at .274 average in 53 games against lefties, and has notable power: 7 homers. Welcome addition to the OF room.

Bob Harper (Released - Now with Caribou)

Just never put it together for us after a great 2054 season. His control tapped out low enough that his usual proclivity toward ground ball hits kind of cancelled out his low homer numbers.

Joe Harrison (Deadline signee)

Just 10 POT, but 17, so the age group I tried to get more of this season. Flame throwing ground ball pitcher in Prep.

Bob Finley (Deadline signee)

My more usual signing. Unfortunately I didnt find anyone I thought was a slam dunk to rise in POT, but his performance has been fine so far in lower minors.

Draft #3 Evan Vickers - Now With Holland
Draft #4 Yasmani Ortiz - Now With Camarillo
Draft #5 José Arguello - Sign - Release
Draft #6 Craig Woods - Sign - Release
Draft #7 Jon Whelan - Sign - Release
Draft #8 Ramón Garcia - Sign - Release
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Decent Training Update for #10

Mares reached 17 Power and therefore his last comment at 98 SI. Which is more exciting than usual since so many guys seem to be flatlining lately. Burnett had 2 more pops, one of them to reach 19 Fielding, which is awesome. Pags had 2 also, one of them 18 Power, which can deadly with his strong ability to hit fly balls. Nadeau gained his 7th of the year and Valadez is knocking on the door of exceptional curveball.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Humiliating.

Apologies to Infernos from Management:

In thoughtlessly adjusting my roster to Spring before year end awards, I cost players the chance at year-end awards. So from an award standpoint, Barry Nakajima's .301/34/111, instead of getting him votes for MVP, got him nothing in AAA. No idea whether he would have beat perennial MVP George Hagen (better in every respect but BA) but he would have had a shot.

I was that close to choosing Olivera to be one of those players, costing him his Cy Young and oddly, his second gold glove (he has 8 fielding). He likely would have beat out Corral but Corral had no shot.

2 single All-League players from possibly the best team I will ever have.

electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
POT Changes for 2057:

SS Gomez (14-13). Expected. It was impossible with his stuck BC to reach 14 range before his hitting maxed out at 20.

P Vance Bennent (12-13). Somewhat unexpected. He only has a pop fb for a comment, but this indicates he may be in line for good gains on some of the non-commented attribs.

P Hector Omi (13). Pulls a Nunez and restored his previous POT he lost at 19. Good times. Like Bennent, he also could use a boost, but he actually has comments for everything. If he was originally a 12, I would assume he would rise, but since he fell, I would think it reflected overscouting. Nunez also reached the high end of 13. Hoping he can too.

P Chris Kennedy (15-16). This is really interesting. He was projected to max out in control at the top end of 15, so I wonder if this changes where he lands?

P Bob Finley (12). Quite unexpected. Like Omi, he restored his birth POT.

If I didnt already feel good about my pitching, I feel better now.

Updated Friday, October 7 2022 @ 8:28:03 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |