Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Who was your meh FA/Waiver pickup that turned into a stud?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Flanagan (1 claim) - Was a 11 POT when I got him but I decided to take a chance on him. Survived ‘49 and ‘50 as a pinch hitter and V LHP guy, but he managed to take a starting job in ‘51 and never let it go. Made the All-Stars in the past 2 years and is overall a beast.

Wilkins (FA) - Found him sitting on the pool one day and decided to keep him. He’s never been the team’s best player but his pop has remained consistent throughout the years. Of all our active players, he leads the hitters in every numerical stat except 3B, SB, and BB. He also leads in OA, 67 to 13.

What’s kinda sad to think about is that I probably wouldn’t have claimed either off waivers today, or signed them off FA.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/171755

All star/All league center fielder free agent 15 POT. I guess folks put some weight into RISP for this player. I do that too. 16 outfield assists were the surprise at 36 years old.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock - my memory isn't what it was, and we may have had this discussion already, but I just looked at Kim and thought 'wo, yeah I'd definitely have given him a look'..........

Seems I did - nice find, he went full beast mode for you, and yet somehow still managed to remain stunted, you're a perfect match! lol.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think he stunted. He was at 100 in his prime. Unfortunately he was a late riser, early setter. Peaked at 29, down hill at 31. Still, I'm going to get at least 6 seasons out of him, so I can't complain ;)

He had his cup of coffee with Boulder's minor league system in 47'. 47' was definitely his worst season.

Prior to his stink fest in Boulder, you and I were the only teams to put a claim on him.

Prior to that, when Hillsboro had him for a second, there were only 3 claims. Possibly us again? Either way, not many teams wanted to give him a chance, which flabbergasted me. His build was perfect for a DH and he can even pass mustard at 1B in a pinch.

Updated Saturday, March 5 2022 @ 8:56:10 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
On our current squad Herrington was signed at a 27 year old rookie free agent. Back to back all-star selections at 1B.

Runner up to Wallace who has been a 1 man show against LHP. Edit - also a free agent, he was looking for work for almost a full season.

Updated Saturday, March 5 2022 @ 8:58:07 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock,you're right,for some reason I thought he was a 13pot
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/231859

Lots of teams have released this guy, he seems pretty good though so I'm not sure why?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I used to have a hard time finding 3B. But recently my team has been filthy with 3B options. I find myself passing up decent guys on waivers because they are 3B... So possibly other teams are also experiencing a glut at the position.
rlawrence

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/249426

a bit early, but it looks like he's turning into that guy
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 The three that come to mind:

Simon McFarlane — Still early in his stint with the Rats, but he’s been as solid as I could have asked for. Time will tell if he can keep that up…

Shawn Currier — Picked up as a fourth outfielder, he promptly played his way into the starting lineup. (He also took the same jersey number as one of my Hall of Famers when I signed him, and has proceeded to play very much like like his numbersake.)

Chul Moo Jang — Picked up because I needed a new DH, and I figured I could deal with an aging bat until I found someone better. He proceeded to put up the best two seasons of his career and park himself firmly on numerous single-season Rats leaderboards (including the top of the RISP board with .405).

Previous Page | Show All |