Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2054 Black Cats + Inferno Baseball   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well once again the value of control has been affirmed. Wiggins grows stronger and his control allowed him to finish games in the 120's or less avoiding some of the burn of the higher pitch counts. Lots of people start guys with the best stats way over stamina but I never will lol.

He has now logged 2 wins, 2 POTG, 4 QS in 10 starts. Most of that since I took away the hook. He is strong in most metrics and will definitely have a shot at the starting rotation next season. Feeling better and better to have him. Since I have seen lots of players stunt with optimal minor league time, and others that were A-ballers at 25 never reach their potential, I dont know what to think of all of that. But being in every spring lineup probably helped.

Briseno hasnt looked so good, but the plan for next year was put him in the minors anyway.

Updated Saturday, April 30 2022 @ 5:40:11 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well not too fun to get swept in the last series but life marches on:

The hitters:

Hodson .304/7/64. 59/76 SB. OPS .781. Completes first year at leadoff spot and did fine.

Nakajima .289/41/129. 15/21 SB. OPS .938. Career highs in every every significant category.

Waters .295/19/95. OPS .865.
Quintero .292/6/58. OPS .781.

Hopefully both are on an upward trajectory.

Valuable backups:

Thomas (72 Games) .301/4/33 25/35 SB. .782 OPS.
Murillo (88 Games) .306/7/38. OPS .815

Less than expected:

Arriaga .266/13/71 OPS .835. 19 hitting should give more in my opinion

McCann .229/11/62 25/32 SB. 46.7% CS. OPS .647. Dropped 60 points in average from his stellar rookie season.

Rodriguez .252/12/77 .985 FP/8 errors OPS .744 His poorest season at the plate under my watch. Did have more walks and more power than usual. More significant because there is no real platoon option at SS.

Zavala .216/6/40. OPS .603 52.3% CS. Complete waste offensively. He will not last forever on the team if he doesnt improve, but as a C/SS/2B he has some value, and allows McCann to go to OF if needed.

As expected:

Shockley .265/4/36. 24/30 SB. 8 OA/FP .1000. 33 year old Shockley platooned as LHP CF, with his declining range and batting.

Cintron .276/2/29. .363 OBP .741 OPS About what I would expect offensively. He would have been better in exclusively LHP lineups, but I wanted to see if he had any SI left in the tank. Apparently not.

Goodbyes:

Mesa .217/3/21. To a degree I am happy Quintero took the spot and played well. Otherwise it is sad to say farewell to soon to be 31 year old Mesa. He was my oldest League signing on Aug. 21, 2050. His contributions to our VI. 18 Championship wont be forgotten. I hope he lands somewhere and does well.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching, veterans:

Not dominant, but the cornerstones of my SP:

Olivera 15-13/3.62 ERA. 22/33 QS. .852 HR%. 2.22B/9 5.74K/9. Solid year and his best control-wise

Moreno 14-8/3.63 ERA. 19/31 QS. .981 HR%. 2.6BB/9. His most notable features were nearly 20 less hits than innings pitched, and 4.91K/9 as a lefty.

The Mayor 13-7/4.78 ERA 11/27 QS 1.14 HR%. 2.36BB/9 2.36K/9. As a finesse pitcher he struggled through injuries, the higher levels of competition and bouts of inconsistency. His control remains strong but it has always been a major concern with him that he only strikes out about as many hitters as he walks. He will take the ball on opening day as that is a tradition, but he will open the season as #4 starter.

Harvey 8-6/5.09 ERA 7/20 QS .516 HR%. 2.69BB/9 3.32K/9. He started for about half the season. Aside from outstanding work on keeping the ball in the park, he was not noticeably better as MR1 or SP4 this season after several years of dominance in VI. He has a similar BB/K situation as the Mayor. All I can say is there will be competition for both of the spots he has pitched in.

Wiggins 72 IP 2-6/4.88 ERA 4/11 QS. He did much better than expected as I attempt to raise his SI. He will have a shot at SP5 next season.

Johansen 108 IP 4-7/3.75 ERA. 17/28 SV. He was closer last season but had an alarming number of blown saves. It is possible I should have shortened his outings since with the higher level of competition he wouldnt be blowing away opponents for 2 innings most nights. I used him in Harvey's spot at SP1 when he moved to the rotation, and later back to his old spot at RHS, he didnt do great at either.

Lagos 79 2/3 IP 7-2/3.50 ERA. Really nothing to be said except he is the same or better than he was in L6 and has elite H/IP ability.

Harper 49 IP 2-4/2.94 ERA 20/22 SV. Great year, much improved on H/IP and surrendered only 2 homers on the year. His control could stand to improve some, but I dont know if he has any SI left to gain.

Developers:

Benavidez had acceptable performance in the first part of the season. As our spot was close to decided I gave him 5 starts to hopefully get his SI closer to his cap.

Briseno Was the #5 starter for a few series, and so had 15 starts overall. Didnt show a lot except decent homer numbers. He will go to AAA next season.

Probation:

Valera 3-3/4.91 ERA 4/7 SV. He has control and a curveball and little else. He also has been great on homers. But the weakness in his repertoire I think has been exposed in V. With his 8 stamina he is LHS, a spot someone such as Benavidez or the 2 southpaws I signed could take. Like B. Rodriguez before him, I know he has skill, but its the roles that are filled and replaced, not overall talent.

Goodbye:

Zimmerman was ok at MR1. 32 IP. 5-2/4.22 ERA 2/3 SV. 29K, 1 homer surrendered. He will be 33 and makes 2.75M however so his spot on staff will go to a younger arm.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, congrats on staying up/going up!

Y'all had an easier time than I did. Last game of the season, needed 4th to lose and I needed to win. Escaped to stay in LL4 by a margen of only 5 in run differential and an even 80-80 record.

Crazy thing is, in the West I'd have been only 2 games out of a championship.

But I'll take it. Had a lot of flux in the pitching, but some rookies and some late season pickups gets me hopeful for a bounceback next year, provided the veteran hitters don't start falling apart.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
This year has been educational as far as swings. Early on our pitching was getting butchered and the hitting was winning some games. Then both took off, then the hitting got a bit cold. So we ended near where I expected to be. A middle of the pack team with most of the established offensive stars performing as predicted and my best pitchers with ERA's in the upper 3's.

Glad I could get some time in for the developing players and added some talent through waivers that I think will help us going forward. I cant expect Nakajima to have the year he did again, or for Hodson to be able to go forever, so I am looking to

http://brokenbat.org/player/269633

I am hoping he can take Hodson's spot. He is still projected to get to 20 hitting, and his PD will hopefully be a little better than Hodson's 11. He has more power and better FB but Hodson is a top base stealer and a much better fielder at 1B.

http://brokenbat.org/player/260150/M

Hopefully a DH piece who has a slightly higher fielding attribute than Hodson. For some reason he was not trained at 1B so he has a long way to go before he reaches 3.

Both of these guys are about finished with training and will go up sometime next season, but right now, Hodson is far from finished.

To someday replace Nakajima:

http://brokenbat.org/player/294901

He has been recommended to AAA for a couple training updates. His low bat control is a concern, as it is stuck at 5. A upgrade in AVG and D is all I can expect here. Nakajima is hard to replace.

http://brokenbat.org/player/266084

The other half of the Nakajima replacement platoon?

He had solid growth this season and is projected to be relatively close to his SI by the end of his Age-28 season. In any case, he is expected to be up full time by 2056. One of the best base stealers I have.

In Rodriguez, I have a SS with 14 range. I think that hurt me more this year than before. He is a solid hitter who can hit in all lineups, but his replacement is years away unless I find someone on Waivers or through draft. Potential replacement is only 18 years old and in Rookie Ball.

Shockley, when allowed to play out of his slump, had solid performance with a .265 average and 24 steals. He played CF against LHP but barely had the range for center and certainly wont next season. For now I will shuffle around some guys, with Arriaga probably getting the most games in CF

http://brokenbat.org/player/285444

Just joined AAA. While 16/15 isnt amazing for a CF, hes the best minor league option I've got. His hitting may only get to 15-16 or so, but like Shockley (who also only ever had 16 hitting) he is a S, proficient thus far against both RHP & LHP. Shockley will probably be retired by the time he is up full time.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have done my best to improve the plate discipline of my team. Most of my earliest waivers/signings were guys with the potential to be good hitters with low strikeouts but single-digit plate discipline.

Younger hitters coming up or added in the last couple of seasons:

LF/DH

http://brokenbat.org/player/268346

3B

http://brokenbat.org/player/247368

LF/DH

http://brokenbat.org/player/269534

I'd like the usual number for the majority of my hitters to end up 12 or so. Guys like Collins/Goodson are there or are expected to be. Of course there will be exceptions, because I also need more power on the team:

http://brokenbat.org/player/270494

He may not push Cintron out at 3B, since Cintron is a solid hitter against LHP and gets on base a lot, but Cintron is also being trained at C. Yes, 14 arm isnt ideal, but 26.3 CS% in 70 starts isnt horrible.

Anyway, I have more ideas about what my team should shape up as as I complete my 4th full season as owner. Its less about finding raw talent and more about finding specific fits for my team.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice nice man. Haven’t had any sort of time to do sim league things, so if you really wanna know how my guys did, just check it yourself. Got swept despite a valiant 16-inning effort in the final game. Didn’t expect to win the series and we didn’t.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Tiny training update as expected.

Benavidez had a decent season in long relief, 23 1/3 IP, 0 homers surrendered, 3.91 ERA. Then I trashed his stats with 5 games started, 28 1/3 IP, 87 hits (!), 6 HR, ERA of bazillion lol. But the last training update did bear fruit: 3 arrows and 14 on the season. He's at 87 SI now, so less to worry about next season.

DJ Alford seems to gain BC very slowly. Not quite locked in place. 6 at birth and 7 now. He gained his 6th arrow of the season. Good news since I played him not at all in Spring and I hope he can take Shockley's spot in CF (or at least RF).

So, League roster, on the season:

C McCann - 5
LF Waters - 8
3B Quintero - 3
C Zavala - 6
LF Cuevas - 3

Quintero feels done, Cuevas was just called up, and Zavala has gained a good amount of SI this season and last, but with little improvement in play.

League Pitchers:

Harper - 9
Wiggins - 10
Benavidez - 14
Briseno - 9

Harper could be done. I hope not. There is nothing wrong with his performace, but more SI could really give him an edge.

Updated Friday, May 6 2022 @ 5:41:56 am PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Finally released from the Alexandria Athletics vault, 28 year old Omar Cintron had a solid year, .276/2/29, OPS .741, OBP .363. Clearly best as platoon player.

Johnnie Hodson earned his 2nd All-League selection, and Lamar Waters his first.

Unfortunately George Hagen plays 2B, so the best year of Barry Nakajima's career earned him...squat. 3 votes for MVP and Hagen got the All-League nod.

Olivera & Moreno earned no further recognition besides the ASG.

the ageless Mauricio Roldan was all-league again, and not sure how he does it. Aside from 20 control, his tool kit seems a bit unremarkable.

NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Comparatively big awards day for us, which I guess was expected after such a season.

First off, and most importantly, Flanagan took home the League MVP, the first player I’ve managed to do such a feat. Honestly, I thought this was pretty possible but I didn’t think of him as a sure lock. And what a season, man. Hit an insane .350 (not to mention a handy .415 RISP), 21 HR, 106 RBI, 123 runs, 70 steals, and 81 walks to 55 strikeouts. It was crazy. However, he lost a SPD so we’ll see what happens to his SB vs CS. I expect he’ll continue to try and steal prolifically, however.

Additionally, early-season pickup Núñez, also freed from Alexandria, picked up Rookie of the Year, and rather deservedly, since the runner-up had a .677 OPS. But yeah, really good debut for this guy and I’m expecting big things next year. Gardener finished a distant 3rd and celebrated by losing a POT.

In Cy Young Voting, Montoyo finished 3rd, followed by Solis in 4th. As one might expect, I’m more hyped about Montoyo than Solis, since Montoyo’s was 24 and also gained 24 SI that year, yet he managed to shine. Solis hasn’t declined yet, but I imagine that this was a fluke.

And then lastly, my 4-6 combo of Register and North both won Gold Gloves. North winning was expected: He was one of the best fielding SS in FLD% and led the league in DPs, but I wasn’t really expecting Register, and I think he should be commended more for his continuously consistent all-around offensive performance, and he gave the entire organization and fan base a laugh by havibg exactly 69 strikeouts and 69 walks. And he even got 88 RBI to match my username! Crazy. North, meanwhile, remained amazingly average, though interestingly, all 7 of his homers were before the All-Star break.

And then, lastly, for the new season’s training update #0. The low POT babies Pina and Beam both gained a POT (as did Scherer), while Radford, Wilkins, De Smet, Rogers, and McGee all lost some stuff.

Previous Page | Show All |