Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Waiver/Free Agent Claims 2053   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Claims:

Cuevas (1)
Glover (13)
Cardoso (2)
Benavidez (2)
Shanks (18)
Helm (1)
Thomas (2)
Collins (1)

Cuevas has a nice minor league track record, and I hope his left-handed batting and 19 range earn him a spot in the OF. He is also only 20. I know OF are a dime a dozen, but I was a bit surprised I was the only one who wanted him. Arm of 9 and PD seem to be the only issues, but if he was perfect he wouldnt be on waivers. Glover has nice-well rounded hitting attributes and a lot of upside. Cardoso, while not having a fastball to speak of, may have everything else. I was quite excited to get him, he has amazing HR% and control for his SI, and low F/R/A. Hoping he pops a POT at some point. Benavidez could end up with some nasty offerings, but he may be limited by his control. Shanks busted out of Bloomington's system, but force promoting him to AA seems to have worked. He had solid hitting there plus the AI fell in line with the recommendation quickly. He is part of a very crowded low-mid minors middle-infield room. He has 500 minor league stolen bases - 84%. Helm is interesting in that his HR% should be a lot worse based on his attributes but thus far isnt. He is a long-shot to make the team, since he would have to start to be retained, but who knows? Thomas was a sensation this year, hitting, stealing and more OA than errors. Collins did well enough in AAA to be kept. But as a lefty DH/1B he has to hit really well to say, and doesnt have much power.

Signees:

Holmes, Sarmiento, Alford.

Holmes missed an entire season on the crap-pile. He's 21 and might be able to pop a POT. His minor league performance has been fine when he's played. Sarmiento had a really fast growing PD, so I took him as a project. Drafted this year #4 by Cooperstown. DJ Alford I am hoping can compete for a spot in the post-Shockley CF. Solid minor league performance thus far and S.

Claimed-Released:

Sterling (1)
Lee (1)
Green (12)
Haugland (1)

Not much to say but that Haugland and Green are gone because they put the rabbit in rabbit ball.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Cuevas. Doesn't take a ton of bat to justify 19 range.

force promoting to AA seems to have worked

Hehe. May be a little causation vs. correlation muddling. Sadly he only gained 1 SI this season. Risk isn't improving.

Dinos had just 4 waiver wins, and 2 of those were short term help.

Our big win apparently was 1-claim Huerta. We were just looking for a CF who wouldn't drop the ball too often, and got that along with .860 OPS. Could well be the high mark of his career, but we are optimistic we've found a long term piece.

5 claim Hammond was the other. He played pretty well against LHP, less so against righties. Nice to have a competent backup SS on the roster. Think he could be around for a while too.

Edit: Just 3 free agents, 1 was short term. Slow year in Waterloo.

Hernandez impressed with his amateur numbers, but is behind in development. Will need to pick up the pace. 1B too easy to come by.

Think Barrera might be a bopper despite not having much power. Switch hitting C are sorta nice to have. Could get some big league ABs in 2054.

Updated Wednesday, February 16 2022 @ 4:44:46 pm PST
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Lies lol, he gained 3 SI (2 on the last update - now at the proper level). So in my view the risk is improving. Doesnt mean he still isnt on prospect life support of course

Updated Wednesday, February 16 2022 @ 6:24:28 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
For Haverhill

Claims:
1B Clark Binder 10 claims (released - space)
RP Jamie Healey 4 claims (looks promising)
RP Damon Battle 5 claims (released - bad performance)
3B B.J. Forrester 9 claims (looks promising)
1B/DH Won Choung 2 claims (released, reclaimed, released again for space)
DH Juan Manuel Ortega 3 claims x2 (claimed for 3, released, claimed for 3 again)
RP Ethan Stone 27 claims (marginal prospect; unlikely to last through next season)
SP Juan Padron 9 claims (decent; looked like a god compared to the rest of my staff)

FA Signees:
3B Gilberto Tapia (released - space)
DH Ernesto Bermudez (released - bad performance)
SP Edgar Linton (released - bad performance)
DH Walt Emmons (release - rental expired, but was very effective with a .804 OPS)

More FA signees than usual for Haverhill due to significant water treading this season...

amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
New York had a nice start to claims season, on the surface, with the first three on this list signed within four days during spring training:-

27-claim Shockley spent most of the year in the minors, and basically covers C/3B/SS/OF. He'll get more playing time next season.
33-claimer Latimer was a false promise: a great profile but not a good pitcher, and hasn't had a good season since 2049. We were just one of a chain of teams who dreamed we could turn him around.
17-claimer Cutler did okay for us, especially after I removed the "Smokin' Jay" nickname I initially gave him.
1-claimer Jimenez gave us an outstanding first half and an equally poor second half, he's gone now.
13-claimer Joy - not been much joy in NYC in recent seasons, but he looks okay for now.

FA
Casas sported a nice 3.49 FIP, but everything else was horrible (1-4, 6.63 ERA), hard to give someone an extended run when you're in a bad spot.
McMillan doesn't look to be much of anything, but keeps the ball in the yard at least, and our pitching was so bad almost anyone was worth a shot.

As usual when bargain hunting, a mixed bag.

Previous Page | Show All |