Forum >> Discussions >> 2052 DOPE Rankings   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Yay!

Nice work, Jayhawker.

Our first DOPE ranking was #112. Pretty cool. I think we were still the Bloomington Cougars...

Top 40 is a strong group. Wonder who will crash the party next year?
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hoping my imminent promotion to LL II gets me onto the next top 125.

Excellent work!
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Jayhawker, I'll happily take another podium!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd take a podium finish too, but I'll settle for 30th. :)

Nice work as usual!
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Great work Jayhawker!
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh hey, an honourable mention as a quick riser. I'll take that as commendation of the turnaround that's been going on.

Especially since it'll be a while before we crack into the list proper. Still a lot of work to be done.

Great work and a jolly interesting read as always.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Are these DOPE ratings going to be done on an annual basis going forward and is the same original formula being used? It seems a bit too heavy on the Cup side. Don't quite a few team owners use the Cup games to get experience for their younger players while protecting their main team from injuries that could affect the pennant race?
Jayhawker

Lawrence Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Jerbeetwo - Sorry I missed this post - was looking at this before I post 2053 rankings and saw I never replied!

Yes, I plan to continue to rollout a list each season while also giving the teams that shined in the gap of '45-50 their piece of DOPE glory (looking @ you amalric7) in the 'Forgotten Years' thread.

In the future I hope to have some visualizations (post #85346 has link) that are interactive & searchable instead of just a list but that's a longer term project as life has gotten bit more busy since I started.

As far as the formula, I based on input of some of the veteran community members, but the exact formula MukilteoMike utilized is lost. There were three main pillars for the formula:
  • Points earned per season should favor staying in a higher league (two season of 4th place in Legends should net more points than 5th & 1st in LII)
  • Cup should not be highly weighted (for reasons you provided)
  • Playoff winner should receive some additional points, but again should be not highly weighted

What I came up with was having a 'base' point value for 6th place for each league, that is increases in value with each higher league. The playoff winner receives 1/2 of the base value for that division.
The cup has a separate calculation - Teams that survive the group stage get the equivalent to the LVI base value, and it scales up to the champ receiving points similar to a division winner in LIII.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
And you look at 10 seasons right? I believe that is what the old formula did. So anything past 10 seasons drops off the table.

If you choose to play scrubs in the Cup, its a strategic choice, but it doesn't mean the Cup shouldn't earn you prestige. It just isn't weighted as highly as maintaining your position in a high league. Jayhawker may actually be weighting it even lower than Mike did.

In the same way, a team with no chance of winning, might put in rookies at the end of the season and drop a couple spots 2 -> 4 because they choose to do this. It will result in less DOPE. DOPE is just for fun, its not the end all be all. Just do what is right for your team, and have fun ;)

Updated Saturday, April 9 2022 @ 4:54:32 pm PDT
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Cool, in the top 125

Previous Page | Show All |