Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Blown Saves   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I've received a few questions about blown save over the years. I think the logic is valid, but I thought I'd ask.

It seems people are alarmed by early inning blown saves (appearances that wouldn't normally result in a save, unless the pitcher closed out the last 5 inning).

Anyway, I found this example online:

Oakland Athletics at Texas Rangers Box Score, May 11, 2010

Zeigler blows a save in the 6th inning.

Thanks,

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not saying the logic is wrong, but the blown saves in that game come in the 7th inning.

Near as I can tell a save can happen in any of three situations:
  1. pitcher enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
  2. pitcher enters the game with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
  3. pitcher pitches for at least three innings.

So if any of those are true, it would be a save attempt. If the pitcher surrenders the lead during a save attempt, they earn a blown save.

I think most of us get fixated on the "tying run" clause because that is the most common situation for a Closer.

I'm not certain how the third clause is supposed to work. If a guy comes in in the 6th and then is pulled after two innings, they "could" have been in for three. If they are in for three, do they record the blown save? This is probably the clause causing us confusion.

I don't believe you can score a save in coming in in the 5th, because if a pitcher comes in in the 5th inning they have a win attempt. A pitcher can not record a win and a save in the same game. So if its a win attempt, its probably not really a save attempt? Its seems like a bit of a void in the rules, near as I can tell... But it doesn't seem like it is possible to score a save if you come in in the 5th inning.

Interestingly, although it is impossible for a pitcher to score both a win and a save in the same game. It is possible to score a win and a lose in the same game.

Updated Wednesday, February 2 2022 @ 9:58:38 pm PST
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's an interesting read I've found:
https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-unofficial-rules-of-holds-and-blown-saves/

And the game where Robertson gets in during the 3rd inning and earns a BS:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA201710030.shtml

To me personally, I'd say it's o.k. to score a BS in early inning cases. The other option would be to establish a new stat category called Blown Lead for such relieving situations until the end of the 6th inning or so.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Rock and I had a brief discussion about that one a few years back. Neither of us like it, but it’s kinda hard to argue with MLB.com.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I hadn't thought about the situation where a 3rd pitcher comes in before the 5th inning. The first reliever gets the win opportunity, so the third guy in is still a save opportunity (weird as it seems to get a save in the 3rd inning).
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Early blown saves are consistent with my understanding the of the stat. I think it's fine.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
changing focus on blown saves (sorry for the highjack)

is leading the division in blown saves a bad thing? after all, you have to be ahead to blow a save...and in my league, the two standings leaders in both divisions also lead in blown saves...oddity, or not?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would say blown saves plus a good record likely means that you have good starters, poor middle reliefs, and a good offense. So not good from the perspective of you pen strength.

Previous Page | Show All |