Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Idle musings on promotions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca: "I see this as an aggressive placement rather than an outlandish one."

What's the difference between "aggressive" and "outlandish" in your mind?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock: "I've been seeing a lot more players stunt since the last tweak Steve did with the recommendations. I think they are more aggressive than they used to be. I would have kept that guy back a couple more months at both AA and AAA."

I'm in full agreement with you in regards to this statement. The stunting of players when they are called up to early is a real observation I've made, which just gives me even MORE anxiety here.

My tentative plan has always been if a player like this (i.e., one this young) gets the call, I leave them down until the SI gains start to slow down, then promote them.

I do agree with Seca that the actual numbers may be off (i.e., he may be underscouted) and the AI is suggesting such because of that. But see previous words about promotion anxiety.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@eel: "McCann is now 20 and on the team. If someone is a rapid gainer of SI and has stopped over several cycles, it may mean he is done with the minors and should be promoted (space permitting)."

On the same page as you here. See my previous comment to Rock.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
"If a player is gaining 0.1 in AA, but they only gain 0.09 in AAA, how much can you really tell by looking at one year's worth of pops?"

Just another reason this game can be a real mind-bender sometimes. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a hypothesis on scouting in regards to promotions as well. Really just a guess at this point, but I think the AI recommendations might be based on what the AI thinks the player's ceiling is. So if players are under/over rated, the AI recommendation might be off by more than usual. In particular I try to be less aggressive with guys who I think are under-rated. The corollary might mean that guys who are slow to promote may be over-rated.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball

What's the difference between "aggressive" and "outlandish" in your mind?

I’m not Seca, but I think they’re a little different.

Aggressive promotions are rational, and you’re probably going to be fine if you do them, but it definitely won’t hurt to get them a little more minors time. Childs, I think, is a good example. He got roughly a full season in AAA and had gained 5 SI this year, but he still got recommended at 79 SI. I hazard to guess that he’s gonna peak at mid-13 POT so he still had a ways to go when the AI receommended him. That was an aggressive promotion.

Outlandish promotions make literally no sense. The AI promoted Hansen to the majors at 19 with 67 SI when he was with me. That’s outlandish.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Its why Age and current SI matter a lot to me. Carrizales was recommended to League at 63 SI. Not sure I've had too many that low but plenty in the 60's. If they're young, you can keep them in AAA and use Spring/Cup/Eliminated from pennant time to get them some experience, so they dont blow up your chances when you know they're not ready but think they will be good when they are. Since Carrizales was 22, I had the time. Finally decided the low CoS and homers werent my thing and let him move on to Minneapolis. I did develop him to 88. He's doing well there, but I develop extra pitching, so its hard to make the staff unless someone can start now. Low control and low velocity mean lots of hits and walks. Glad he's doing well though.

Fury's ideas about promoting when a player is a certain distance from their cap I find meaningful. I took Alderman straight from waivers to League at 66 SI. He gained to 102 and stopped. I thought maybe that was too much distance, but keeping him in AAA half the season last year on training update day didnt do anything. Looking back I should have realized he had his time in the minors, he was just barely used by the AI. Same thing in Prep. Thats always been a mystery to me.

But I like to see my normal everyday 12 prospect around the mid 80's SI before I call them up. Thats why age matters. The luxury of sitting Quintero, Waters and Donaldson in AAA last year because none were older than 23.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
When I first joined the game back in 2016 recommendations were clear-cut, and appropriate. There have been a number of tweaks since then, perhaps to bring in uncertainty as much as anything, and if that's true they have certainly worked. Now, I mostly ignore any and all recommendations. I've stuck with trying to maintain similar amounts of playing time at all levels for prospects, with the inevitable glass ceiling of AAA. If a guy appears to cap at any particular level that would earn promotion too (again, excepting AAA). But I tend to follow my own path.

I have a similar guy to Xiong in Hulsey. Maybe I should have give Hulsey more time in A ball, but he's been an effective pitcher in the minors, including in AAA this season. Do I want to put a 60 SI pitcher in the majors at any point in the season, but especially now? Heck no, and yet he's been recommended all season long. I'll be hesitant to promote him next season unless he pops after spring training.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If the AI was 100% spot on with promotion suggestions the game wouldn't be as much fun. I consider a promotion suggestion much like I would suspect a real life AA manager calling the big league GM and saying this player is ready for promotion to AAA. The GM says thanks and moves him up when he is ready to, or has made room for him at the higher level (which obviously doesn't apply to this game).
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well it would have been nice to have that emphasized a bit more in the manual. But yes, I can see they want me to have my own system that works for me so I am developing one.

Previous Page | Show All |