Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Franchise Players Off Waivers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Larsen (44 claims) and McCarty (111 claims).

2 MVP awards to show from my 35 seasons at the helm, and these 2 lads won them.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Adam “The Fox” Crocker — Free Agent — …Okay, not a franchise player, but he probably gets a Bobblehead Night every few years or so.
Caesar “C-Guez” Rodriguez — 5 Claims — One of my earliest pickups. Only stayed with the Rats from ’29-’35, but two Cy Youngs in that time.
Mateo Sepúlveda — Free Agent — Five Gold Gloves in right, Rookie of the Year, and the all-time stolen base leader for DFB. Also has an iconic outfield assist in the ninth in a pennant race.
Mario “The Sidewinding Southpaw” Isaacs — 3 Claims — Not exactly a franchise player, but notable for DFB’s only no-hitter.
Denny Hewitt — 1 Claim — He would have surpassed Sepúlveda in stolen bases this season if he was still a Rat instead of a very close second.
Ramon Nava — If he’d played the past few seasons like he has this season, he wouldn’t have been platooning at second base. He still has a few years.
Shawn Currier — 1 Claim — “Franchise player” might be a stretch, but for a “stopgap” fourth outfield pickup, he’s been All League twice in three full seasons. (Bonus: He has Sepúlveda’s old jersey number and is doing his damnedest to live up to it.)
Eric83

Brentwood Bearcats
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nielsen (11 claims) is probably the best waiver pickup in my 19 year history running the Bearcats. He was a dominant closer for 5 seasons and an equally important middle reliever for many seasons after that. A few highlights:
  • 14 total years on the team
  • 7 All-Star appearances
  • 3 All-League awards
  • 2.92 ERA (1st all-time in franchise history)
  • 284 saves (2nd all-time)
  • 1.18 WHIP (3rd all-time)
  • Most dominant season was in 2039: 1.37 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 48 saves, .175 BAA (118 IP)
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
several players became legends for the Mules after being discarded by other teams.
more than a dozen, indeed!

"Money" Morrow is among the best hitters ever to play this game

and in the early times, the best hitter in franchise history was "Gonzo" Quinones, who was signed as a Free Agent!

a special mention also for "Stepi" Stephens, two times SP1 for the USA NT in the World Classic. Hard to believe, he went thru the waivers too
crash_davis

Williston Pioneers
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't take credit for adding this player, but http://brokenbat.org/player/220600 Brett has an MVP season, twice Catcher of the League and twice 2B of the League, which accounts for his four All-Star seasons. He'll be the first player I get to add to the franchise HOF
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
"Graham" Chapman ...
"Moose" Baker

or is this just since waiver numbers got counted
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok I’ll play! Currently active:
http://brokenbat.org/player/192173, Luis Garza, 12 claims. Insane power and consistency.

http://brokenbat.org/player/202442, Mateo the sand man solis, 2 claims, 398:37 save ratio. Won the job as a rookie and never relinquished his death grip on it

All time:
http://brokenbat.org/player/177201, Fabian Pinto, 30 claims. Legend. True definition of a waiver pickup who became a franchise player.

Honorable Mention:
http://brokenbat.org/player/188579, Juan mora, 6 claims. For 1/5 the claim activity as Pinto, he was a multi year staple on the Falcons.

Pitchers:
Too many candidates but no clear “franchise” standouts outside of the Sand Man listed above. The short list was Quincy Hale, Ernie Cutler, and Kirby Latimer (<-FA pickup!) if anyone wants to dive deep into Falcon Lore.
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't play for long but I have few nice pickups.

Emilio Hernandez - 108 claims - first even waiver I get. Few times all-star and once even all-conference. Stable part of my pitching lineup.
Fidel Angeles - 78 claims - second waiver I signed. So far one all-star but he's starter and good pitcher even he doesn't reach his potential.
Emiliano Quintana - 11 claims - 3 times all-star and he owns DH position since day one.

Besides those three, Gavin McDonnell (37 claims) looks promising but he's too young to tell.

Updated Sunday, January 23 2022 @ 3:03:43 am PST
nxck98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sergio Aguirre - OF. Picked him up as a free agent two seasons ago. He's been my best player ever since.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Almost all my guys are off waivers so not hard to choose

Mateo De La Cruz (26 claims) - Signed as a 19-year old with 88 SI, 12 POT and a minor league ERA north of 6. Did great in our farms and has become an All-Star.

Brendan Flanagan (2 claims) - Claimed him at 93 SI 11 POT. Took a few seasons to find his way into a full-time role but in his 2 full seasons as an everyday starter, he’s made 2 All-Star teams. 292 hits, 137 steals, and a BB/K ratio of 123/116 for the past 2 years. Already 10th in career stolen bases for us.

Arnie North (43 claims) - Very heavily contested claim and yet somehow we got him. I was starting Redman before him, which was a big pain offensively. North is decisively a light hitter, but he fields well and runs very well. 20th in career steals and 15th in double plays already with a Gold Glove, all before reaching 25.

Curtis McGee (9 claims) - One of only 3 players on my team who played during ‘47. Deadline claim who had a pretty good debut season with us (3.64 ERA, despite going 1-5). Not as great seasons in ‘48 and ‘49 but he did make it though without being released, unlike almost every starter. The 50s have treated him well, however, as he’s posted an ERA under 4 every season. FIP isn’t amazing but he kinda gives me 1950s pitcher vibes: Lots of hits and walks but not many runs. This year, there’s been a wee bit fewer hits and runs and that’s jacked down his ERA.

Marvin Wilkins (Free Agent!) - By far my biggest steal, maybe the best I’ll ever do as an owner. Signed at 25 and he consistently provides 20+ homers a year. Already 10th all time in outfied assists for us and he keeps pounding the ball outta the park.

Previous Page | Show All |