Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Grapefruit League 2053   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. Your guy is chucking 150 pitches a start, my guy 90, but its my guy out for max.

Always seems the way. The guy you most want to get some spring playing time misses out. Had hoped Alcaraz would add a little SI before his callup.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
One of the weirder encouraging yet demoralizing losses. I screwed up Tucker's start again. Last time I had the wrong pitch count, this time there was a hook. Nonetheless he faced 30 batters and 113 pitches for the first half of a one-game double header.

Carrizales pitched the second half and also faced 30 batters on 110 pitches. Cant complain about his 7 1/3 IP, 6H, 3 ER. We finally fell in 13 innings as we left 15 on base (as did Petaluma).

We have some catching up to do to get anywhere near the 36 PA I am hoping for each game. This game we managed 55 (!)

@Seca This is my 3rd spring. Very lucky that I have not had serious injuries, just a few of the 1-5 games variety

Updated Sunday, December 12 2021 @ 3:50:52 pm PST
Joyd

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Always xD. This SI won't grow itself. Trying to rebuild bullpen. Waiver pickup Crespo has made two 8 inning starts and has been decent for throwing a billion pitches.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
An unexpected sweep. Winning the 1st two games was not a big shock, as Valera throws 115 pitch complete games even with 7 stamina, since he has outstanding control.

Moreno, my top pitching prospect who has already notched almost 60 big league innings (and effective ones to boot) is capable of blowing their doors off and did. Especially since spring is less likely to bring out the control issues he sometimes has.

Roque gave up 6 ER in 8 1/3 innings with no walks. He wasnt exactly effective, but he lasted longer than last time and walked 0 in a 11-9 win.

But what I wonder about is this: If success in spring means little because we are facing minor leaguers or junior major leaguers, what does failure mean?

Aside from George (A) and Goodson (AA) and Rodriguez getting 2B knowledge, every other hitter in my lineup is AAA or barely reached league.

The team is batting .224, the star of last season, McCann is hitting .154 with 11 K's, my top hitting prospect Waters is hitting .179, joining Goodson and Quintero below the Mendoza line, Zavala is the only one who could be said to be doing well (.302, 3 HR)
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The kind of pitching performance I like to see lol. Leading 1-0 going into bottom 8...then giving up 11 runs...in one inning haha...with 0 homers allowed

Updated Tuesday, December 14 2021 @ 2:41:45 pm PST
Joyd

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Freeport Doctrine "When double digit runs are scored by someone in 11 of 15 games" (how about that pitching!) Or "When 4 games where both teams that scored double digit runs are decided by one run" xD
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Played Makakilo today and it felt like Pompeii. They have some high ceiling hitting prospects who arent even finished developing. Hard to believe they're in V. Even Valera didnt manage to go 7 IP they were hitting him so hard. Moreno got rocked for the first time this Spring.

They must have been a little winded after all the running around the bases because we were actually leading going into the bottom of the 8th before giving up 4 runs. Roque and his 64 SI actually did quite well. 107 strikes, 44 balls, 6 K, 19-5 GB/FB, 1 BB and hurled a complete game.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, Makakilo is a good team. Lotta potential. Shared a league with them in LL6 and LL5, and they have had some rough luck.

I am dreading next season, when they'll probably catch me again. I remember their pitching being absolutely DEADLY.

On a different note, I would just like to say to the Southfield youngsters who played in this game: "I am so so sorry."

You got on the wrong end of my last game with my starters to give me some data on my starting lineup. That really wasn't meant to steamroll you like that.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well for me, thanks finally to the apparently endless string of double-headers, I primarily pitched my regular spring rotation without them being fully rested. It's sad when 6 starters isnt enough to rest everyone after 6 games lol.

The exception was giving Carrizales a start. As always without hooks, MR1 is the guy that comes in if the others throw 150 pitches but cant finish the game, so with his complete game he ends up with a similar number of IP as the starters. He has had the strongest spring of any pitcher. 4.01 ERA and has somehow managed to only walk 7 batters despite less than 58% strikes. Must be a lot of guys swinging at 3-0 pitches, which if they did it in real baseball would be swinging their way into the american association lol

If Moreno hadnt been badly destroyed in one game by the Eruption, he would be on here as well.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah Spring. The time for confusion.

Should I be happy Roque is doing decently on homer, throwing strikes second only to Dr. Valera "The Surgeon", punched out 30 batters in 32 innings, 7 walks, 1.76 GB, or that he's given up 71 hits and an ERA over 10 lol - not that I need him up to League anytime soon.

Harper has done worse, but having a stamina of 4 (rather than Roques 6) shouldnt lead to that big of a difference. Basically worse than Roque in every respect with similar or even better attributes. Oh well, its not like the #1 defense is behind them anyway.

Despite starting 4 low stamina pitchers (along with Moreno & Tucker), no one has covered themselves with glory this spring aside from Carrizales, who may spend the whole year in AAA.

Nice complete game by Tucker in the nightcap giving up 1 ER & 5 hits.

The hitting isnt as putrid as it once was. Team is batting .238 now. Of the noobs who are in League to stay: Donaldson/Waters/Quintero, Quintero got very hot and is now at .329, Donaldson is a decent .282, Waters a below expectations .247, though he has drawn a team best 14 walks. If there was any doubt McCann needed more time in AAA, .216 should do it. I dont know what to make of 4 SB/5 CS. He had 17/11 last season in AAA after being really good in SB - CS previously. 16.7% CS rate at C, also.

Tony Rodriguez has over 80 AB, and is batting .271 - could he be signalling he will regress from his All-Star 2052? His new platoon mate, left-handed hitting Zavala I hope will take some pressure off him (.259 with 4 HR). I am thinking Zavala is done with AAA, but his fielding isnt what it should be for regular play in the middle infield.

Updated Saturday, December 18 2021 @ 4:35:18 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |