Forum >> Discussions >> 2052/2053 Rollover   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Less movement in Haverhill.

Increases:
Art Barnard - will likely keep him from getting the axe this season. I have too many catchers and he only has 17 Arm, but 13 POT makes him a bit more interesting.

Erik Ashworth - increased to 11 POT. As my only SS prospect, I really need him to keep popping...

Decrease:
Cecil Lancaster - has been underwhelming so far, so the decrease wasn't a surprise. Stats have been a bit garbage, but his profile still looks decent as a POT 12. A little closer to the cut line than he was last season...

Updated Saturday, December 4 2021 @ 1:51:33 pm PST
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Apparently a letter-writing campaign has begun in Corvallis, with exuberant fans asking to bring back veteran starting pitcher Randall Houser, now 36. Chants of "one more year!" could be heard near stadium offices this early January 2053. Rumor is that negotiations between Ravens management and Houser are ongoing.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, 3 seasons experience has taught me I will get very few of the contested claims at waivers, so having 4 spots and 13 claims doesnt bother me at all anymore. In the past I felt like I needed to cut players to make sure I had room.

Most of the puzzling releases are by bot-teams but not all. Cough cough Lenny Farr. He may have a red flag or two but if you want to destroy someones stats, dont manage their settings in the Spring Training tab.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, salaries have changed in Prattville and here’s how it went.

+$0.5M or more
Register (+$0.95M): He won Rookie of the Year in rather convincing fashion, so not very surprised. Only a .706 OPS but his raw numbers are very impressive.

Baez (+$0.6M): He probably wouldn’t have gone up this much if I hadn’t played him 83 dang times. He’s a guy I might end up replacing because good LHS are relatively plentiful and at cheaper costs than him.

Solis (+$0.5M): Definitely not a bad season, probably got the big raise because he was the closer.

North (+$0.5M): Not a great showing on the offensive end but he won the Gold Glove. It costs me money, but that SS defense plus OK offense is totally worth the salary.

Bähr (+$0.5M): His season was worse than it looked, but it was OK, all things said and done. Gained 21 SI so I think he’ll do better this season.

+$0.25M to +$0.49M
Mendoza (+0.45M): Another awesome season from him in basically every way, I feel, from an objective standpoint, that his salary should’ve been increased more.

Barbee (+$0.35M): The verdict is definitely in that Barbee is much better suited as a reliever than a starter. It’s too bad that he pitched so well only to go 1-5 with 3 BS, to be honest.

De Smet (+$0.35M): Ah, to think that he used to be at 124 SI. Oh well, those days seem to have passed. However, he miraculously posted his best ERA ever at 34, and I’ll give him another shot, though he probably won’t do so well as a starter.

De La Cruz (+$0.35M): Probably De Smet’s replacement in the rotation. Had a good year last season but was excellent as a starter.

Weiner (+$0.30M): Decisively the most boring player on the roster. Batted from the 7-hole most of the year and did fine.

Rosario (+$0.25M): Had a good season from the plate and got a raise. It’s weird to be paying my backup catcher more than my starter lol.

Wilkins (+$0.25M): Had an excellent season but he didn’t get much of a raise. Definitely my best FA signee to date.

+$0.01M to +$0.24M

McGee (+$0.2M): One of the last 2 players on my team who played in 2047, McGee had another solid season. He’s definitely my favorite player on the squad and I’m glad he’s still good.

Simmons (+$0.10M): He’s just about as uninteresting as Weiner, except for the fact that he got replaced in the lineup multiple times only to get his spot back. Not sure how long he’s got on the team, but he’s an OK player.

Flanagan (+$0.05M): I personally think that this season was much better than his last, but clearly the Broken Bat gods don’t agree, so they barely bumped him up.

Salary Decreases

Russo (-$0.05M): Not sure about that one, but I ain’t complaining.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
but if you want to destroy someones stats, dont manage their settings in the Spring Training tab.

Interesting. We don't know for certain what settings are used by the minor league match engine and which ones aren't. Are you suggesting pitch count? IBB? Hook?

The player you mentioned has started 69% of his minor league games, and averaged 4.6 IP/g overall.

As an amateur (so 50 pitch count, default hook) he started 60% of his games and averaged 4.3 IP/g. Seems very much inline with his minors.

I always tune my pitch counts to role. As an example, Nunez was changed from 50 pitches to 20 when he joined the Dinos. He had an average of 2.34 IP/g in the minors, starting 14% of the time. A nearly identical 2.14 IP/g as an amateur, starting 11% of the time.

Like all my developing pitchers, Nunez also had his hook changed from the default (5?) to infinity. Having an infinite hook does not prevent my guys from having some very short outings that are quite easy to identify early in the season. (I suppose they could all be 9th in appearances, but that seems far fetched).

I had an interesting hook example a few years ago. Alfaro spent his pre-Dino minor league career with his hook set to zero. He averaged 2.45 IP/g in the minors.

But he only started 9% of those games (a starter is going to get 75 pitches and a hook of 5 minimum). If you compare to his amateur numbers (default hook) he averaged 3.2 IP/g, but started 16%. Would seem to make up the difference.

I do think minor league stats can lie a bit for some guys. But I feel that's largely from the match engine using players in sub-optimal roles. I'm not convinced (from what I've seen) that we have much influence with our management settings.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure we can influence steal aggressiveness, but unclear to me what else gets influenced. I was thinking it might be the more tactical items rather than playing time related stuff. So maybe intentional walks? Hit & Run, Bunting, Extra bases, etc.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Farr doesn't really look very good for a AAA pitcher. The reason we all have claims on him is because of his potential and scouting report. We are all betting that he is going to blossom in the majors. If he wasn't a 14 POT he would probably have half as many claims.

Given his current ratings his stats aren't unreasonable. And they may well indicate that he isn't really as good as his scouting indicates. Not uncommon for a Lefty Fastballer to give up even more HRs in the majors. I don't think his stats looks out of whack. He just isn't all that great a pitcher (not yet at least).

Updated Monday, December 6 2021 @ 8:33:51 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure we can influence steal aggressiveness

Agree. I'm fairly certain I've tested that one. Bunt settings are also used. I've turned off bunting for all my guys. The only ones with bunts on their player cards got them with other teams (or snuck a few in before I got to the settings).

Those settings can't turn the game into a clown fiesta the way some pitching settings can.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out there is a certain pitch count and hook for the pitcher that starts the game, a separate generic pitch count and hook for relievers, and that most other settings are respected.

I'd say all instead of most, but I wonder if pinch hitting and replace for defense are overridden to get more guys into the games. That said, my (X on PH, rfd) "good enough to start" guys average 3.7-3.8 --> 4.3-4.4 plate appearances per game, where "good enough to start" guys I know had PH and rfd on show 2.9-3.0 plate appearances a game. Admittedly small sample.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The only setting I have spent much time on is pitch count. You cant control AI GS but it seems to keep it under control to some degree.

Harper was getting destroyed virtually every year because his stamina was 3 (now 4). I basically would go to minors performance day by day, and when he would start of course his stats would inflate. He was starting 25% of the time in prep. I didnt catch on to using spring training settings for awhile, but its 10% under my watch. Outside of the whim of the SI, maybe 10% is about as low as it can go for anyone.

Lopez (Stamina 5) has rarely been used as a starter at any time, ever. But that seems much much rarer than a low stamina pitcher being used heavily as a starter.

I suppose logging it daily is the kind of micromanagement needed to see if there is an effect. Can only speculate on what others are doing.

The AI, like owners are both capable of putting a pitcher in the wrong role. I just think the low stamina pitchers suffer worse than most as far as stats. I compare the GS to those I see on waivers with similar stamina, and it seems mine are started a whole lot less - I attribute that to the influence of pitch counts in my settings.

When I see low stamina - heavy starts - big gap in FIP I find it likely there is a lot of noise in there.

Farr: 79 SI and 11-ish on pitching skills shouldnt be assumed to dominate in AAA. Olivera had that kind of even progress on attribs and was not special in AAA. He also had higher stamina than Farr. Olivera: SI 77-84, 277 IP, 39 HR, ERA 4.64. If we want to compare lefties: Moreno at 86 SI this past year in AAA compares fairly closely as far as attribs: 208 IP, 29 HR, 4.55 ERA. So to me, Farrs minor league stats might be a concern, but are not a deal-breaker.

I see lots of claims on veteran pitchers that have crappy year after crappy year because their pitching attribs are high, so it seems odd that so many put so much stock in minor league stats of less-developed pitchers, especially if you are correct that we have little ability to manage settings.

Caveat: I dont know how the AI handles levels in the minors, perhaps same as League of parent team, but comparing to major league performance naturally I am at the lowest level, as are the BH Patriots.

I mean you have to make a judgement call somewhere, when cutting someone, but its hard to imagine he would be at the top of that list.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes it just comes down to fatigue. You get tired of seeing a guy fail over and over again. Same reason I cut Enriquez last season. Ratings say he should be a decent pitcher. But after 50 hits in 28 innings, I decided it was time to throw out the bath water.

Previous Page | Show All |