Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How much would you value this player?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/211793

Bruner is a weird case. He rotates around between 1B and LF depending on my needs, but has virtually no power. His sole value comes from an above average OBP.

How would you feel about starting this guy every day (or at least against righties)?

Currently he starts against righties for me in LF, but that could end soon if his performance doesn't hold up, as I have some fringey outfield prospects I want to evaluate, especially if it looks like we won't relegate.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
IMO, that ground ball rate screams 9th or lead-off. Limit the DP's. Maybe Bruner, Guzman 2nd, Lira 3rd, Bouchard and Quinones vs righties?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, with that GB rate, you want to be playing in a big park. He won't do as well in a small park. His optimal park would probably be:

- Max dimensions to sneak in more extra base hits.
- High walls (he doesn't have power anyhow so increases his value over power hitters).
- Turf to turn more of those groundballs into hits.

The exact opposite of my park. So I wouldn't want him on my team.

That said, his real offensive value is in OBP, which transcends parks to some extent. It depends on the rest of your team and your lineup configuration, but that OBP is nothing to sneeze at.

Updated Thursday, October 7 2021 @ 5:06:46 pm PDT
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You have an interesting mix of hitters. Four of your top 5 BC (16-18) have low Pow (6-12). Three of your top 5 Spd (15-19) have high Pd (16-18).

You might consider doing more sac bunts and and hit and runs with that mix. Only 7 SH all of last season with 5 players capable of moving runners up.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a fan. I loathe high-GIDP guys, as many as I've had over the years. Whatever their other qualities those GIDP will kill you, I've seen it too many times.

I cut Sid this offseason because I was sick of them. Same reason I cut O'Conner in his prime, bitd.

Obviously the game is about working with what you have and balancing out all the plusses and minuses, but I can only stand that huge minus for so long.
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thoughts on this guy? Seems like a solid 3B but historically hasn't hit well (outside of this season) and doesn't really have the GB/FB to hit for a lot of power.

http://brokenbat.org/player/275972
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a lot of affection for high OBP players like Bruner. During my franchise's best stretch, we had several guys like this whose main asset was OBP but didn't really have much power. Corona is a somewhat more talented version of that player currently on my roster, and I tried to capture some more of that magic with Pak (but with much less success).

Keep playing him. The dude is getting on base for you and making opposing pitchers work. An OBP heavy OPS of ~.800 is nothing to sneeze at.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@El jefe - Kopp isn't much of a prospect, a glove-only 3B. That low BC and PD and only marginal hitting & power means he'll be an offensive vacuum. Good minors numbers only go so far, you have to have the profile to go with it.

Previous Page | Show All |