Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Plate Discipline   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
It seems like a high Plate Discipline, combined with at least decent Bat Control, makes better hitters than the other way around (high BC low PD), at least more consistent ones. I am asking not so much about the attribute value rather how one evaluates it. I look at walks in the minor leagues, and the graphs, but for most of the better hitters it seems like it moves pretty evenly at times in a hitters development.

https://brokenbat.org/player/268346

Gained 3 Hit, 2 BC, 3 PD. Yet there are a lot of players who are very skewed in BC vs. PD.

https://brokenbat.org/player/238441

He's gained one of each this season H/BC/PD but is

16/6 on BC/PD overall.

Thoughts on how to evaluate development besides stats and calculating speed of gain vs. SI that remains to be gained?
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
There have been a number of discussions on this if you look back through this forum. Some people prefer high BC - better contact, better bunting for example - and others (like me) prefer high PD - perhaps lower contact, better OBP. If you have hitters in the heart of your order who can drive in runs you want high OBP guys ahead of them. Alternatively, if you have/want a high contact, base stealing, small ball approach perhaps high BC will work for you. Horses for courses.

General rule:-
High BC/low PD hitters tend not to strike out a lot but get on base less.
Low BC/high PD hitters tend to strike out much more, but draw more walks and get on base more.

I started in 2026 with a lineup of mostly high Hit-PD-Pow guys with low BC:-

Parisi
Fuentes
Zuniga

But I also had:-

Fletcher
And franchise superstar Ortiz making his debut.

So I guess a combination is best of all!

Either way I look for flyball hitters where I can get them, or at least guys who don't GIDP too often, which is much easier said than done.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed. You cant get everyone who can do everything.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had horrible experience with low BC guys at the higher LLs. They always seem to end up with sub .200 AVG. Sure the OBP is a little better, but still usually not that great. End of the day, a weakness is a weakness. Just find the best guys you can and figure out where they contribute best in the lineup.

Consider a guy like Baird. Yes he is over the hill now. But you'll note that the high BC and low PD worked decently for a cleanup hitter. He struck out a lot, but his OPS was always high. For a lead-off I think PD is probably more important. My other 3B Burrell is a good example. Overall a disappointing career for a POT 15, but his PD/Speed combo made him a decent leadoff despite having a poor AVE.

I've also noticed that low BC guys seem to be really inconsistent. Good one year, horrible the next. Burrell is also a good example of that phenomenon.

Updated Saturday, September 11 2021 @ 5:24:58 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |