Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> drafting effective first rounders   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well my 1st round picks are almost always horrible... But I'm pretty sure the secret involves chicken and offerings to the gods of RNG.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
How do you guys draft good players in the first round like when i draft in the first round the players are usually very bad or have no potential for the future. Do you guys stay in a draft board until it updates or something. tell me your secret.

each year i hope to get one future star & one more starter at key positions (pitcher, short, catcher, 2nd) then in later rounds get one or two more players at the remaining positions (outfielder or corner infielder) I am online the moment the draft round starts for each of the first 5 rounds, sometimes more if i've had a bust round. Some years have been better than expected, some worse.

My franchise has always had a pile of cash, and my manager good at developing hit, field, pitch--so i figured i could afford to go after younger players with high potential and hope to get high skill development. So the first few years i took high school players, figuring a lot of coaches would pass on that pool because of the time and money required to get them to the majors. Well, I got a lot of good potential young players but whose range and arm did not fit their position, so i trained them for another. After a few years i found myself with a good stock of prospects but without future help at short, catcher and pitcher, so i began to draft at those positions using rounds 1 - 3. I've gotten players to fill those slots for the future, but it took more picks to fill the slots than i had slots to fill.

While waiting for those prospects to mature I've used the waiver/free agent system to stay competitive--its a grind and rarely does you claim win, but when it does, there are solid contributors added

Updated Tuesday, September 7 2021 @ 8:30:17 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure the high school pool drains really quickly. You can look at the percentage of players remaining in each pool. That is why I have drafted from the 1B pool a few times in the past. I usually draft high school as well, because I would rather have young players. But that pool does drain talent pretty quickly.

You'll whiff on most claims, but waivers is still the most reliable way to build a team. Afterall any claim you get should be useful, while its not uncommon to get a 1st round draft board with nothing but garbage on it. I look at the draft as a bonus. I'm happy if I manage to pull one useful player in the draft each season. Could be first round or could be 8th round. As long as they have a shot at contributing at the major league level.

I look every draft round, but I don't take a player if its all complete garbage. Considering the garbage I have drafted in the last three seasons that gives you a good idea what the other boards looked like... The only guy in the last three seasons that has a decent shot at the majors is Bart Noble, a POT 10 2B prospect. Mostly only because 2B is a big weakness for me. Last season's 8th rounder Erik Ashworth (POT 10 SS prospect) is still an unknown, but will have to severely break his scouting report to be useful. The rest are garbage filler players.

I went 22 seasons without drafting higher than a POT 14, until the draft reconstruction (when everyone was getting POT 15s). Conversely I remember at least one team pulling two POT 16s in the same season (I've never pulled a POT 16). So end of the day, its all just luck of the draw.

And no... Apparently it is not good luck to hit a leprechaun with a baseball.

Updated Tuesday, September 7 2021 @ 8:38:39 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I am not sure I will do it this upcoming season, but my preference is to draft pitching in round 1 (and later). The corners (IF & OF) and 1B/DH/C are always going to be clogged with players. If I am trying to get a 2B/SS/CF then I risk wasting a high pick, because fielding/range/arm/no hitting comment etc can lead to yet another guy who can only project for those positions that are generally full. Even though it is harder to find good hitting than pitching outside of a few pretty young prospects that appear on waivers when someone doesnt want to take the time with them.

There are a lot of marginal/poor pitching prospects out there too. But it is easier to find a contributor, people can either make the staff or not. As Rock says, there are many good pitchers on waivers, and in fact I have only 6 of 22 pitchers from the system, 2 that were on the major league roster when I got the team and 4 that were drafted (2 by me). Not that I have had long in game to see how I do with that.

But going back to the draft, round 1 strategies, it is hard to find the dominating starting starter everyone wants on waivers. If he's ever there, there will be 50 claims. So thats what rounds 1 gave me a chance to do with Moreno.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've always found it a lot easier to getting Starting Pitching off waivers than good hitters. Most of my Aces have been waiver claims. My current Ace is a waiver claim. As was the guy before him, and the guy before that guy. Finding a 30+ HR hitter on waivers however is a real unicorn. Much easier to find pitchers.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just out of curiosity, Rock, why do you think that's the case? A majority of managers are better at gauging potential future performance of batters vs. pitchers?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe. Or maybe I am just much better at judging pitchers than batters ;) Just a lot easier to find pitching for me. I think it might also have to do with how POT is calculated. I've long said that a POT 12 Pitcher is the equivalent of a POT 13 Hitter. Too many folks get caught up in POT, although that has probably improved with POT fuzziness.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember having a conversation with Seca on our league board about the irony of claims #s, and how I was much more excited about 6 claim, POT 12, Juan Pablo Cordero (who I considered a slam dunk) than I was for 24 claim, (then) POT 13, Elvis Callaway (who I considered a marginal prospect).

Updated Thursday, September 9 2021 @ 7:00:06 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
True. It seems the guys I seem to competing with LL teams over have usually 2-5 claims and many others I see with lots of claims seem to have less value.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've always found that pitchers offer a variety of potential builds that can have success in certain roles, while hitters have much less wiggle room to be lacking in their skills.

Plus, I think it is easier to get a 12 POT pitcher maxed out in SI than it is to get a 13 POT hitter to max out in SI (ignoring fuzziness around skills).

Just my $0.02.

Previous Page | Show All |