Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Pitcher pool during draft Round One   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lmartins6746

Asheville Aces
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
@electriceel I am jealous of your first rd pick...that is the kind of player Ibwas hoping would be available by focusing on pitching kn the first round.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I am still new here and he was my first 1st rd pick so maybe my expectations are too high.

Hehe. Nah. I think most expect/hope to see a good 14-15 in the first round. I do, even tho in my experience I only see one once every 3-4 seasons.

A solid 12 or 13 is probably the mode for round 1.

My post came off a little more down on P in round 1 than intended (I'm stoked for Andrew, and at least one miss was combined with the Asian pool which I think is sorta bad now). Think it can be a good move depending on your assets. Reservation is that you would be bypassing the SS pool which seems kinda bonkers.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@lmartins6746

Yes, Moreno could be a very good player, but here's the thing: he was the ONLY player worth drafting on the entire board. Same thing with my #2 pick (both Pitcher pools). So I can easily see how some might get not much out of their boards, even in the first round. Some people were talking about how it was hard to pick among the players that were available, but that has not been my experience so far. I am happy with the 4 guys I got from this draft (and some discarded draft picks), but each player I got was about the only choice worth making in their rounds. So I think it comes down to luck, a lot of times.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It mostly luck. Its unusual for there to be more than one good guy on any board. Usually the hard choice is which borderline guy to pick up.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Eight of my 10 full drafts I went with pitchers in the first round. It has not been a successful strategy as four aren’t on my team anymore and of the other four one has dropped from a 14 to a 12 which is really disappointing from a first rounder. Only one of the eight looks like possible rotation material. But I will probably continue to roll the dice because it seems so many teams draft better pitching than me and I need to try to keep up if I am going to get anywhere here.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I picked up your #1 pitcher this year, but ya, if that guy was my first round pick I wouldnt have been too happy about it either. As a 3rd or 4th rounder I would have been pleased.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Denvy draft war room tried this in '54 and '55. 14 POT lefty closer and 13 POT lefty middle reliever. Everyone Denver employee involved with the decision to use the pitcher pool has been canned, but we do still have these pitchers rostered here and they'll probably appear in the big leagues, but I prefer right handed pitching. We'll see.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitcher pool, my very first (full) draft: 2051. #1 Moreno: pretty reliable SP but born as a 15 I thought he would be an All-League Type. #2: Coronado. Rose to 13. Back-end SP at most. Control problems. Tried it again in 2054, 1-3: Nevarez, Mayberry, Golden. Last 2 were immediate cuts. Rabbit ball Nevarez lasted 2 seasons.

Prognosis for 2058: NO

Like everyone, I probably need P more than hitting, but you pull up the pool and look at all those 9-10's and are "Whoops, blew another lottery pick".
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In my experience, I get boards full of 9s and 10s regardless of which pool I draft from ;)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. Blew some dust off this thread. :) I was looking forward to Andrew then. Now he's starting his 8th season, has 1000 IP, 70 wins, and an AS in his portfolio.

Waterloo has drafted a P in the 1st round 4 of the past 5 seasons. Results have been good. Won't be taking a hurler in the first round this year tho.

Previous Page | Show All |