Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Waiver Claim   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
suA

Hialeah Heat
VI.11

Broken Bat Baseball
Recently picked up Ben Booth off of waivers and he’s amazing, almost perfect in the field. The problem is, his hitting. I don’t have a lot of experience and I’m not 100% sure yet how the development system works yet. Is this a player that can bloom into a hitter? Is development in this game pure luck?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No, its not luck. Every players has a set potential for each rating. On rare occasions a player will greatly exceed their scouting comments, but generally players will fall into a range based on their scouting comment. You can look at a player's trajectory to get an idea where they will end up (or if they are likely to exceed their scouting comments).

Big Ben has had healthy growth in his Hitting, but he is nearing his max POT. Its likely he may gain 1 or 2 SI in Hitting, but he is never going to be a good hitter. Ben's value comes in at defense. He has an excellent defensive build for SS, which is the most important defensive position.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also as a rare L/R (lefty hitter, righty fielder), Big Ben will hit a little better against Righties. This is advantageous because you will usually be facing more right handed pitchers than left handed.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just noticed the "above average overall potential" comment. Likely means he is very close to his maxes. Still likely to gain 1 more SI in hitting (and elsewhere), but this guy should really be in the majors at this point. I doubt there is anything more he can learn in AAA.
suA

Hialeah Heat
VI.11

Broken Bat Baseball
First of all Rock, I quickly want to thank you for always being extremely helpful to not only me but for everyone in the community. You are very knowledgeable and don't shy away from giving advice. I know every piece of information is on this forum or the help guides but I didn't want to use time looking. I see what you mean now, I wasn't aware I could see these graphs of development... VERY helpful. Right now, my team struggles a lot with offense and some pitching. I might risk putting him in the infield and looking for hitters else where. This system is very complicated and hard to prepare a good roster to win the league. I have to be very patient and observant to succeed here. How can I find better hitters? Free agency has some decent pick ups but its not enough.

Updated Wednesday, August 25 2021 @ 7:47:10 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
SS is the only position where I don't mind having a weak hitter.

It takes time to build a winning team (multiple season), and you are never really done as players get old and retire. You should try your luck at the draft each week, but really waivers is the best place to build the team. I picked up Shi Woo Kim uncontested (no other claims) off of waivers. Focus on finding guys who have positive hitting comments, and look at their development graphs to try and determine what their PD and BC growth look like.
suA

Hialeah Heat
VI.11

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow rock, that's one hell of a pick up... He will probably drop some balls at first but if anything that's the best DH possible... I'm jealous
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, he doesn't play 1B unless its an emergency ;) Although if you look at this minor league numbers, he is pretty solid a 1B. People tend of overrate Fielding at 1B. 1B don't have a huge amount of fielding attempts. They are mostly just catching passes.
suA

Hialeah Heat
VI.11

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I figured. When I started planning a roster, I wanted to have my 1B and Catcher with good fielding because I correlated fielding with catches passes or pitches but I don't think it applies at all. Fielding is just for fielding batted balls, right?

Also I came to found out that outfielders don't need fielding just range, speed, and some arm

Updated Wednesday, August 25 2021 @ 8:42:31 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Pretty much. Fielding may help prevent pass balls, but those are so rare I don't think there is much point of catchers having fielding.

Fielding doesn't hurt in the OF or 1B, because they do field balls. But less important than in other positions that are fielding a lot of balls. Not a bad idea to have some minimal level of fielding on your CF at least.

I don't believe fielding impacts catching flyballs (OF), and it definitely doesn't have any effect on just catching passes (1B). Both OF and 1B do occasionally field ground balls however.

The trap a lot of people fall into is seeing that 1B has so many FA (fielding attempts) and not realizing that most of those are just passes to 1B. Never really understood why MLB factors those into fielding percentage. Sure a good 1B will catch more balls, but always seemed weird they lumped those together. You could have a 1B great at stretching, but horrible at picking up GBs, or vice versa. Its really a different skill, so its weird that they lump them in together into one stat.

Updated Wednesday, August 25 2021 @ 10:46:34 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |