Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Coaches Discussion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Just a place to think thoughts about what coaches will be doing. I, for one, wonder what effect a bench coach has.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think they'll add to the "managers effect", I think they'll be a part of it.

Instead of needing to find that one great manager, you can "build" a manager from 6 parts.

Not that a manager has all that much affect, or so we've been told ;)
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
i am not certain the coaches haven't already been cut into the mix...funny how my pitching (always been a weakness) has been for me rather good since the coaches show up, but my hitting has quieted...best coach is the one for pitching, worst is hitting

no proof, just speculation, but my team has gone from 4 games in the lead to 11 games back since the coaches showed.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball

Instead of needing to find that one great manager, you can "build" a manager from 6 parts.

Not that a manager has all that much affect, or so we've been told ;)

Heh

I remember having a guy go 58-99 until he was fired, got replaced by a guy, and we promptly swept a series that we weren’t supposed to win and avoided 100 losses. Coincidence? I think not.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure Steve has said he intended for the Manager to have about the same effect as a player. So probably about 10%. But that was just the goal. That is also in-game I believe. They have a huge impact on development. Position training for one thing is 1-1 based on manager skill.

I took a quick look at how he does it in Hardwood, and it looks like its kind of an averaging thing. Best guess is that the manager skill is raised by some weighted impact by the most skilled coach, and then diminishing returns on the others. Will likely be similar here, but I would guess the coaches may only impact certain ratings based on pitching/hitting/bench/ etc.? Hitting and Pitching are pretty straight forward. There is no Fielding coach, so maybe some combination of the other guys will impact defense and position training? I would expect a bench coach to have some impact on everything (kind of the Manager in waiting), while the base coaches would likely impact running skills the most (offense?).

This would be my guess based on real life impacts:

Manager: Baseline ability
Bench Coach: Modifies baseline abilities
Hitting Coach: Modifies Player Development
Pitching Coach: Modifies Pitcher Development & Pitching
First Base Coach: Modify Offense (baserunning)
Third Base Coach: Modify Offense (baserunning)

In that scenario your Manager and Bench Coach would be the only ones impacting Defense and Position Development.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thinking about attributes per coach type

Manager: All Attributes important
Bench Coach: Not sure
Hitting Coach: Offense and Player Developement
Pitching Coach: Pitching and Pitcher Developement
First Base Coach: Offense and Player Developement
Third Base Coach: Offense and Player Developement

other than the bench coach the things the coaches should be responsible for feel kind of obvious, I looked up bench coach

A bench coach also sets up practice situations and stretching routines for MLB players before games. Usually, you will see the bench coach out with the players on the field during these assignments. Also, a bench coach helps coordinate spring training programs and routines early in the year.

this and the fact that the other coaches don't seem like they would have any effect on Defense or Fielding Development makes me think that Bench coach would be the one to take over those Attributes. any thoughts? Offense and player development seem very overrepresented.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think the base coaches would have much impact on player development. They are more there for game time stuff.

Hitting coaches don't really do much during a game, but they do prep players for their opponent, so I guess it would make sense that they could also have impact on Offence. Just seems like overkill given you have the base coaches already.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The Bench Coach should probably really impact all aspects. They are basically the right hand man of the Manager and can be involved in everything, and actually take over if the Manager gets ejected.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean, if someone took the offense off of my manager's hands, I'd take that. My man is really bad at it, hahaha.

Interested to see how it works out. Might open up for some form of compensating. My 6-13-14 split manager would benefit from some good offense coaches, whereas I might not need to search for that much improvement on defense, for instance.

Though the fact that my stock pitching coach is bad at coaching pitchers is a cause for concern atm, but we'll burn that bridge when we cross it.

Gonna be interesting to feel out, that's for sure.

Previous Page | Show All |