Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Righty bats increasingly unable to hit RHP?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the splits have always been there. If you are like me, you are probably looking for guys with strong splits because they are strong on one side or the other, so then your system is going to be full of righties who can't hit righties ;)

I still see guys who are pretty close to 50/50. They can be useful on both sides, but usually don't have the same oomph as a platoon guy.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, probably their splits have been bad for a while, but *sigh* I'm frustrated a bit. I put in an uncontested claim on Crum not long ago because "switch hitter with fair success from both sides of the plate in amateurs." But even the switch hitters—which are rightfully rare—really seem to not be reliably competent from both sides of the plate. I may be making much ado about nothing, and it's just frustration of not really finding quality righty bats who are about 50/50 from both sides.

Updated Saturday, July 24 2021 @ 4:12:51 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The game cleverly only has 17 spots, so you cant platoon everyone haha. I have no switch hitter that doesnt have as severe a split as anyone else, so they might as well not be switch, a lot of them

Updated Saturday, July 24 2021 @ 4:20:22 pm PDT

Updated Saturday, July 24 2021 @ 4:20:46 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've actually found that a lot of Switch hitters in the game still have strong splits. Its more the extra step to look at which side they are stronger against.

Looking at Crum's amateur stats, I suspect he is going to make you angry...

Updated Saturday, July 24 2021 @ 4:23:39 pm PDT
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean, you're always going to have weird splits somewhere.

I played basically all of last season with the same lineup against both LHP and RHP because my backups were so clearly worse, but I think I should maybe reconsider some of that now.

However: Undervalued solution is to have pitchers with weird splits as well. I have an LHP starter who in his career keeps lefties hitting .150 or something in that neighborhood, but righties hit .240, which is quite close to respectable.

Maybe he's just weird because he throws flyballs like no tomorrow, but that's a good way to throw off opposing lineups, I've found.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Very interesting to hear others thoughts. Dinos platoon aggressively - traditionally everywhere but C, SS and 2B. Our RHB don't often get many opportunities against RHP.

That said we have used RHB DHs vs. RHP the last 4 seasons and have had good success. If anything our recent sense has been RHB do just fine.

Relatively small number of teams, symmetric schedule and cup breaks can cause noise. Eg., Columbia and Murfreesboro won't see my 5th starter until October. Roanoke and Arlington will see the 5th starter every series. There may be less variety than we expect, and a very good or very bad frequent opponent might skew.

Calderon is my head-scratcher. Almost 100 points better vs. LHP in minors, but better vs. RHP in majors. Maybe low sample shenanigans.

Edit: the guys used at DH were
Tak
Gordon
Armenta

None were certified righty stompers, but each could put together a good season or 2. Interesting looking back at Tak - his 2044-2045 had me questioning his viability, but in the end he's got better results against righties.

Updated Sunday, July 25 2021 @ 10:26:07 am PDT
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I tend to platoon a lot, too. I only have like 3 RHBs that are decent against RHPs, and Krejcí who can bat both sides, and who happens to have the exact same batting average of .272 against both. Talk about being consistent!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
At the start of the season the only RHB I had in against Righties was my SS... And he is platooning with another RH SS who just hits righties worse. So my only righty was platooning vRHP, LOL.

Strangely Wadsworth has done a lot better against Righties. So he actually works well as a platoon with Hamel who is useless against RHP. Of course they are both pretty useless at the plate, but I haven't had a SS who could hit for quite some time now.

Updated Sunday, July 25 2021 @ 2:15:19 pm PDT
hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/209073
This guy I have doesn't hit for a very high average but he is a RHB who hits RHPs a little better then LHPs.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
For us, Rowe hits slightly better against righties and does average to above average against lefties.

Previous Page | Show All |