Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2051 Round 1   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I hope this doesn't come back to bite me...
I could have taken a 14p, very good overall, excellent breaking ball, throw all day pitcher without much of a fastball, but without control issues, instead. That would have been a pretty safe long term addition to the rotation, pretty much a surefire third starter. Not bad, even for a first round pick.
But there was that guy who has all the talent in the world, just sometimes doesn't know where the ball is going, which is something I usually stay away from. Judging from the results my pitchers have turned in recently, he might develop the stuff to become an ace, even with limited control. And as a European, getting a Slovak called Slovák was something I just couldn't resist...
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. His ceiling is tremendous. Even if he doesn't get to 120 SI with that D he's going to have some fat pitching skills. Enough to carry questionable command.

(There are 15 players with the surname Canada, but none hail from Canada).
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that seems to be in the database as a name for US-Hispanic players only.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Holmes, fellow European - That's a gamble I really like! Normally I avoid control issues at all costs, even though at times I've seen them work for others , but I'd be particularly inclined to avoid in this case for being an International player.

And yet...and yet...

Let's say he sticks at 15 POT. Give a few points for fielding, might still have 48 SI for pitching skills, which at 1.25 per point is 36 SI in pitching.
36 - 7 for Stamina, starting pitcher = 29.
29 - 2 for Control, below average = 27.
Which leaves 27 points for Velocity, CoS and Movement.
Which is 9 in each.
So....

Velocity 20
Change of Speed 20
Movement 20??

Likely he falls short of that, but probably not all that much if - IF - he moves quickly and develops well.

But that's something worth dreaming on. Niiiiiice pick!
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I am just a scrub in league 6, but my most effective starter is control "below average". And his actual control is better than one of the prized prospects of the previous regime with no bad control comment who, at SI 98, has a control of 8. So there have to be some "below average" guys who will settle in at 10-11 just like some guys without it who will also. That whole 20% thing.

Your guy doesnt have a bad BB rate at all, and he keeps the ball in the park very well. I think he will be very good, someone the rest of us will wish we had in a few years.

Updated Sunday, July 18 2021 @ 8:47:37 am PDT
Drewbz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I may just be getting blinded by the potential, but I'm super excited to see Jason develop.

https://brokenbat.org/player/290066

The fact that there's not much of a read on him kinda makes me feel like I'm pulling a slot machine but hey, 15 pot is 15 pot. My first one ever drafted. Really need him to pan out. My pitching situation definitely isn't the best right now. Relying on a revolving door of dinosaurs at the moment.

Updated Sunday, July 18 2021 @ 4:16:31 pm PDT
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
amalric, you're in LL4, too? We're quite an embarassment for us Europeans in New York...
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Drewbz: Not to spoil the party, but with "good overall", not a word on velocity and on movement in the scouting report, there is a lot about that guy that suggests he's not going to stay at 15p.
Drewbz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I assumed as much, but he was still head and shoulders above everyone else on the board. It's a risk I'm willing to take.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya gotta take the BPA and hope. I made my first ever 1st round draft pick this time also

Previous Page | Show All |