Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2050 Draft Summary   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
R1: De Angelis: I hear that Vanderbilt pitchers are hot property in the first round these days, so went and grabbed one myself. A much-needed pitching prospect, maybe not quite elite but should be a good LHS and still has a shot to start.

R2: Weber: I project him as a genuine impact bat and potential star if the POT holds up. Even if not, he should be an everyday LF. Probably the #2 prospect in my entire system after Hicks.

R3: Zavala: He has a low probability of panning out, but keeping him around for now because of his interesting defense. Doubt he will ever have the bat - would need consistent over-performance (like his start in AA) or a POT jump to see the majors.

R4: Lipscomb: Only real notable thing about him is he came with a nickname.

Looked at the boards but didn't find any draftable players in R5-7, and didn't bother with R8. First time the Jets have ever forfeited picks.
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty happy with our draft this year.

1st round: We got Elwood Blake. He might have only 12 POT, but his scouting report is encouraging, along with 19 Speed, 18 Range, 20 Arm and the potential to be outstanding in the field. So although he's a lefty, he could be a dominant fielder.

2nd round: We went for Ernest Hale. He's a very young pitcher, but I'm confident that he can develop into a nice player. Also has 14 POT.

3rd round: We drafted Isaiah Hyde. He's also very young, but with his report of good hitter and amazing in the field, we're confident he could be our 3B of the future.

4th round: We were super lucky to find Daniel Gage. He's absolutely going to be our future SS.

6th round: Martin Sloan. If he really ends up being outstanding in the field, he could be a decent 2B if his hitting can improve.

8th round: Not sure how long he'll stick around, but Teddy Woodruff could turn out to be decent. Maybe he could improve to a POT 12 with a little luck!

Our 5th and 7th round picks didn't stick around for long!

Updated Saturday, June 26 2021 @ 7:49:21 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
We haven't pick rnd 8 yet either, but we might after the season ends.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
@ electriceel883:

I really like it when the draft pool throws new players a bone. Unfortunately you just got boot.

@ Rock777:

Interesting to see other peoples thoughts on players. Dinos were salivating when Fitzsimmons hit waivers. Near elite OF defender? Great hitter? Excellent base-runner? Sign me up. Sure, he has risk of dropping but 11 pot seems unduly pessimistic.

@ Haselrig:

I made a post in one of the draft threads asking about this season's Asian class. They seem a little under-cooked. Ueda more of the same, tho maybe not quite as pronounced. Should recover. :)

@ Private Snowflake:

If the redesigned draft has a downside it's that you can hit 2 15 pot pitchers and be kind of ambivalent about it. :/

@ Brewnoe:

I must have called Rich Schuler Heath by accident a dozen times during his Dino career, and I am neither an NFL fan nor into US politics.

@ tamale:

Not just a Commodore, but a Commodore lefty! Looks pretty sweet. If I could add 1 player from those listed here it would be De Angelis.

@ Chicken Fillet:

Blake is sort of cool. 17 years old and 5 SI from his suggested skill floor. :O Should give hope that he's better than a 12. With his current hit skill I'd be hopeful it will get to a playable level despite the lack of comment. Dinos have a soft spot for overbuilt OF. Had Anderson in center and Youngblood in right during our halcyon days.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't be surprised if Ueda is a 13 POT when it's all said and done. 125ish SI is a lot to jam into that build.

His numbers are good and I'm giving him some extra time in AAA to squeeze any juice he has left in training. He'll have plenty of chances to be a star here, but without power, it's a lot of empty calories with him and Herrera in the heart of a lineup.

I think Ueda's a good example of the psychological flaw in the new draft. Picks are either garbage, or at best meh until I see more. There's no fist-pumping or woo-hooing on draft day anymore. It's all instant disappointment or potential future disappointment should a guy's POT start slipping.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
With "Above Average" potential, Fitzsimmons may only drop to POT 12 but he still looks bad to me. A GB/FB of 2.00 doesn't fit well in my team strategy, and 0 growth in BC is a big red flag. 15 range is ok, but lower than I would prefer for a purely defensive CF. Doesn't have the power to play RF. So many points sunk into Defense and Speed that its pretty much guaranteed he'll fall short in batting. I've had a few guys with nothing but Hitting, and none of them performed well. They need to have some other supporting hit tools. I'll be surprised if Fitzsimmons gets very far into double digits for BC, PD, or Power.
saintport

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/285713

i really hope, he pans out cuz he looks so good
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Top prospect in almost any farm system. Great pick.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Round 1: Azriel David: He dominated in Israel, but sadly, the competition here is more stiff than in Israel. I hope he stays at 13 POT, I'll be interested to see what his POW does.

Round 2: [http://brokenbat.org/player/281190]Norman Gardener[/url]: Would also like him to stay at 13, but between David and him, I'd rather Gardener drop a POT. Solid hitting stats, very well developed, he's the CF of the future.

Round 3: Carl Nash: He was the one viable option that round, but honestly, I didn't think he'd last more than a week, we already had an ideal 2B his age. However, in that one week, Nash did well and the other guy faltered. So against all odds, he's our 2B of the future.

Round 5: Shannon Hughes: I didn't think he'd last, either, and his future is cloudy, given the abundance of 1B/OF/DH (3 in the minors and a lot in the majors), but I can't cut him for doing this well.

Round 6: Jaime Burgos: Burgos played all 6 years in Latin and missed only 7 games. Some great numerical stats, he has. But anyways, he's here to be the long-term backup SS for North, he's a fine defender, good enough hitter, and I don't feel like his career will be wasted if he plays backup for 10-15 years.

See y'all next season.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
One of the bigger themes of our drop over the last few seasons has been poor pitching) and this season it was downright terrible). We only had two pitching prospects in the minors, and although both should be good we badly needed a talent influx at the position. I didn't target pitchers specifically, just picking from the High School pool, but the results have been good (to this point):-

Round 1: Grisson. The dream report. Even if his POT drops all the indicators point to a future top of the rotation starter.

Round 2: Fischer. Less sure about this one, but a decent report and plenty of wheels, so maybe he pops POT (and he is rated very good) and sticks.

Round 3: Chang. If he sticks at 13 POT he could be a rotation filler.

Round 4: Gwozdek. Looks like a backup OF, but as a 14 POT very good he'll stick around for a while.

Round 5: Gooch, cut. Not a great board this round.

Round 6: Wright. 11 Velocity is a nice start.

Round 7: Giles. Anyone's guess, probably a cut.

Didn't pick in round 8.

We've bounced back in our drafting since the lost years of 2042-45, when only two of our picks stuck with the team, without landing any superstars - Grisson is probably our best bet at this point. The top four this season could all stick, and I'll hope for something similar in 2051.

Previous Page | Show All |