Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> One-dimensional pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
All day long you see pitchers with no pitching comments on major league rosters and as well-developed minor leaguers. The ones that get developed seem to have high CoS and gain a lot on that as well as control. I would theorize that this is because leftover SI gains over 12 must go somewhere other than stamina, movement and velocity, because all of those if good, have comments associated with them.

Sometime I see pitchers with no changeup in their repertoire. No idea if that means their CoS stat is not really going to matter to their effectiveness (if they are even effective lol). Which brings us to this guy. His repertoire has 2 pitches: Fastball and Changeup. He seems reasonably effective, so maybe his movement of 6, and his movement stat being, as far as I can tell, dead, on his graph, means little. No idea, I have the #602 ranked team after all.

https://brokenbat.org/player/242934

Updated Wednesday, June 23 2021 @ 11:53:13 pm PDT
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, there are no comments for CoS and only negative comments for control, so a high POT pitcher with no comments could either have high CoS and control, or have their POT overrated. If there is enough info, looking at the development graph can help determine which of those two is correct.

The pitch repertoire has no effect on the actual games, as far as I know - but lack of a changeup or breaking ball might indicate low CoS or Mov respectively. So I would expect Burris to not develop much movement.

I wouldn't sign Burris - I'm a big believer that CoS is the least important pitcher skill, and movement one of the most important. Data collected by jamanys seems to back that up (hitter version of the same analysis is here, if you're interested).
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I have no plans to sign him lol. I was just interested in the concept.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Back when potential had less uncertainty, "projecting" prospects was a normal exercise. You would assume their final SI from their potential, and then estimate all the rest of the skills based on information available.

For Burris,

- 11 pot means 88-95 SI. Let's go with 92.
- His arm and range are fixed. Those skills are worth 0.5 SI per point for a P. So that's 9.5 SI spoken for.
- stamina scouting suggests 14-16 range; go with 15. Pitching skills are worth 1.25 SI per point for P. So this is another 18.75 SI.
- no scouting for vel or mov increases uncertainty. Both less than 13 expected. Vel still improving on D graph. Mov not doing much. Estimation time! Vel 10? Mov 8? This would be another 22.5 SI.
- leaves fielding, CoS, control. Fielding a guess, but only 0.5 SI per point. Currently 9 and moving on D graph. 13? 14? Another 7 SI.
- So: 92 - 9.5 - 18.75 - 22.5 - 7 = 34.25. Divide by 1.25 gives 27.4 SI points combined for CoS and control. Both are currently 10. Another 4 points on each?

Suggests a final product of 10 vel, 14 cos, 8 mov, 14 control, 15 stam. Are those skills going to allow his minor league success to translate to the bigs? Dubious.

All that said, this is the first player I've projected in years. The first step is estimating total SI. That's a lot wobblier since the new draft came in and potential became more uncertain. Projecting is even more of a guess than it used to be. :)
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a great comp, but here was a guy I inherited. Always wondered how his movement could end up at 6 while throwing a reverse curve.

https://brokenbat.org/player/199041
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Repertoire doesn't really mean anything. Sure, he knows how to throw a screwball, but that doesn't mean he is good at it. With no Movement scouting report it is not surprising that he capped at 6 Movement.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
At this point in time, the pitch types/pitcher repertoire are mostly for entertainment purposes. Currently, the game engine doesn't having hanging curve balls that are hit for home runs or guys that are great fastball hitters, but can't hit the curve.

That's not to say that we wouldn't eventually implement this kind of depth...but its just not in the code right now.

Steve

electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
It is safe to say he doesnt know how to throw a screwball xD
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
In real life many pitches are a mix of velocity, change of speed, and movement. Here they seem to be pigeon-holed into a single category.

Screwballs are sort of rare here. They typically show up on lefties with good CoS. (I have it listed as a CoS pitch in my notebook of BrokenBat goodness).

Cutter is the most confusing one in my view. A cutter is somewhere between a slider and a fastball, but seems to be most indicative of CoS here.

(BTW - I hate cutters. Only 1 of the top 20 pitchers in Dino history threw a cutter, and it was last in his repertoire. The list of Dino flame-outs is rife with cutters).

Sure, he knows how to throw a screwball, but that doesn't mean he is good at it.

Think this holds truer for pitches listed towards the end of the repertoire. But when it shows up first it's telling you something.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm going to take that back.

I looked at 200 LHP in free agency. 8 of them threw screwballs. And while there were some that fit what I've come to expect, there were others that did not.

Screwballs are a special case in that they are only ever listed first. Much of the predictive value of the repertoire is where the pitch falls in the list. Screwballs always being first may just be an occasional "this guy is a lefty" Easter egg, much like shuutos mean "this guy is from Asia".

Edit: Worth noting Private Snowflake's post is a different line from what I am discussing. Repertoire doesn't have an impact in the match engine (as Admin has stated), but it does have predictive value with respect to skill development (Admin has also stated).

Updated Thursday, June 24 2021 @ 2:15:49 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |