Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Question about coaching effect of prospect potential   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball

Ihired my current manager because he seemed to be the most solid gameday coach available, but severely lacks in the development department. It stands to reason that having a manager better at development would lead to prospects growing into more of their potential, but my question is have we figured out just how important that is in comparison to a player's natural potential to improve? Just how much would I be hampering my club's future if I chose to stick with my manager with his poor teaching of the game and pitching, but above average in every gameday facet?

For starters, it doesn’t make a huge difference. However, the best way for hiring is to limit the faults in a manager, not maximize the strengths.

Someone like this dude is still busy revealing how good he is to us humans (managers have the same attributes for all their career, we just can’t see the attributes for 4-5 seasons), plus he’s minimum salary, so I’d recommend him.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've never quite bought the "very small" effect.

Sort of feel their effect looks like a titration curve. Effect is fairly flat at both ends (very good or very bad players will be very good or very bad regardless). But near the equivalence point the effect can be stark.

With respect to training some players max out or come up short regardless of what you do. Where the manager will matter will be with "fringey" guys. Guys that have a little low starting SI or are a little old for their placement level.

Fringey guys are more readily available. A new team likely has more of these than average as they rebuild. Means a new team has more potential benefit from their manager than an established team.

I also don't agree with the "players more important, focus on that" part either. Frequency vs. Effect size. Your manager participates in every pitch, every swing, every catch. He affects every trainable skill of every player in your organization. He's your pitching coach, hitting coach, analytics department, high performance department and more.

That's why teams here happily pay their manager 10 million a season while their best player makes 4-5.

So if you are into the game you need a top flight manager. That means camping the (Saturday evening?) reset knowing the new manager URLs. Bang those in as fast as you can. It's not fun, but its worth it if you can find a good one. They have like 30-40 season careers which means you are set for 7-8 real life years.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Short answer HUGE impact on development.

Steve once said that he wanted to have the managers have approximately the same impact as a player. So that might mean a 7-10% impact. 10% may be a small number, but 10% is huge. that could be the difference between 80 wins and 88 wins, which could be the difference between 5th place and 1st place.

Manager also don't get injured or rest. So if they have the same impact as other players on a game by game basis, that should mean they have more impact than a player (who does need to rest and recoup) over the long haul.

An example of manager impact. Managers have a 1-1 impact on position development. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe a manager with 10 Fielding training will give a 2B +0.4 position training per season in the minors, while a manager with 20 Fielding training will give a 2B +0.8 position training per season in the minors.

Double the development skill equals double the position training. I'm not positive on the other development impacts but I imagine they are similar.

One small correction to Seca's posts, managers are released randomly throughout the season now, so there isn't really a point in camping on any specific day. You just have to keep checking all season long.

Updated Thursday, May 13 2021 @ 1:28:35 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have no idea.

My manager is one of the best in the game, maximum hitting management and development, and to me was a great asset climbing the pyramid and reaching the very, very top.

Since then? Something of a freefall back down the pyramid, and seasons where nothing that I attempt seems to make any difference. Were we really that good on the way up, and conversely have we really been that bad on the way down?

Beats me.
Drewbz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for the amazingly informative replies! The tidbit about aiming to limit negative traits instead of maximizing positives is especially helpful. I decided to go with the suggested manager above for now.

I'll try to read up on the manager resets and urls for the future. Definitely want to do whatever I can to put my team on the right track to promotion.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Have to put this somewhere - just changed manager.

Always knew the day would come, but hadn't expected it now. It was really, really tough to give up Monroe, who is everything I want in a manager, but at 57 and making nearly $7M/year and my finances just average it was time to pull the trigger. Helped that Espinoza popped off the screen, couldn't believe my eyes (like when I found Monroe).

So long Red, and thanks for the memories.
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow nice pick up. That guy is a beast!
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I spent a lot of time browsing managers. Idk if its the right thing to do or not, but at 32-63 wins/losses and therefore game day management dont seem like something to worry about. The Managers making more money didnt really appeal to me. Interestingly there was one guy in there who had no reputation at all lol. Anyway, I found a guy who is a good teacher of the game and a good pitching teacher. Let me know your thoughts on this process.

https://brokenbat.org/manager/3795
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
He's (potentially) quite good. Fielding development is (imo) by far the worst manager stat. You happily accept a crater there for upside elsewhere.

The blemish is "below average managing hitters". One of the frustrations with managers is the broad range some of the scouting repsents. "Below average" is close to the entire bottom half of the spectrum. Anywhere from 0 to 8 is possible. And it can take a couple real life years to find out where it settles.

Grats Amalric7! I was stunned when I saw Monroe had been let go, and disappointed i hadn't noticed soon enough to snap him up. Be interesting to see how Espinoza develops.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I will look again at managers when the offseason rolls around. I have been told this is a hitters league so naturally no one wants a neg on managing hitters. I thought "poor" was the lowest setting (not that ive seen that on Manager IG ratings). And Espinosa is so YOUNG! (Crying rn lol)

Updated Tuesday, June 8 2021 @ 5:25:39 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |