Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Study on batting and defense   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be interesting to see the spread sheet to get a better idea on the numbers. Are we comparing apples to oranges? Plus I think other factors impact how valuable each stat is. For instance BC may be more valuable for high GB/FB hitters.

It certainly looks like BC isn't having a lot of impact on game play, which is a bit concerning. Possibly it is more "Avoiding Ks" than "Contact"... Even more curious that PD would have a greater impact on AVG.

Another theory I've had about BC is that it results in wildly inconsistent play. I've had a few low BC guys (mostly at SS), and they tended to go in big streaks. Performance varying drastically from year to year. This would make its impact lot harder to measure without a large amount of data.

Updated Sunday, April 18 2021 @ 7:36:24 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There is so much variance in play, its pretty hard to measure this stuff in general. My team fluctuates wildly from season to season.

Take Jaybird Hawes. He has had maxed ratings since 2044. He hit .239 in LL-III two seasons ago, but .292 in LL-II last season... So after promoting into a more difficult league his AVG jumped 50+ points. And his OPS jumped 100+ points. Most of the rest of my team did the opposite.

Some of it is based on ball parks, some is based on opposition ratings, some is based on matchups, some is based on RNG, and some may be based on programmed streaks.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I always thought that higher BC made you less prone to streaks. There was a guy who I cut, Horace Bach, who had 5 BC and started off the season playing at All-League level, but around midseason he dropped off so bad that his OPS went down 150+ in 30 games.

And we’re forgetting all the hidden attirbutes.
jamanys

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To Rock : if you want i can send you the excel by mail. I also note the fluctuation of player every season and i think it's due to the rng and everythings you notice in your second message.

To Notgood : are you sure there are hidden attributes in the game ? if i remeber well it's written in the game manuel that no.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The manual is a bit confusing on that point. It says there are no hidden attributes (which it defines as values that change due to training). However there are hidden values. And some of these are known, like SB Aggressiveness and GB/FB Tendencies.

So for instance, a high GB/FB player might benefit more from BC, while a low GB/FB player might not see much. So if there are a lot of low GB/FB players in Legends, the impact of BC may be nerfed. While the opposite may be true for PD. A lot of high low GB/FB guys might mean PD has greater value.

Updated Sunday, April 18 2021 @ 4:56:17 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yup. Saw that in my digging for info for the 50 Seasons of Broken Bat article:

Hidden Attributes for Players
There has been much debate on the forums about whether players have any hidden attributes. In the game’s own Help documentation, it says plainly: “there are no hidden skills.” However, it goes on to say that while there are no hidden skills that can be trained or improved (or degrade over time), there are hidden traits that can affect certain in-game outcomes “significantly”.

Furthermore, on August 31st, 2010 Admin Steve confirmed in a News Update that hidden traits were indeed added to players after the first Dry Run of the simulation engine. What these hidden traits values are, however, remain a mystery.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah GB/FB used to be hidden, if I’m not mistaken. And tendency to attempt a stolen base MUST be one, as far as I’m concerned (and from what I’ve seen w players)
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Another possible confounder is handedness and platoon splits. This can play a huge role in a player's overall numbers. If left-handed hitters happen to have lower BC, they could produce good offensive stats due to favorable platoon splits even if BC would have helped.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing about BC that is underappreciated is the foul balls. Guys with higher BC do have longer ABs which helps drive up pitch count.

Unless you watch the games pitch-by-pitch this is difficult to notice.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, you would need to correlate Errors or FP for a given position. Obviously a good fielding short stop will still make more errors than a poor fielding corner outfielder, but it's a matter of position difficulty and opportunities.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |