Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> What's up with this guy?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
if you can pay his salary, keep him.
his troubles are all because of a low ability in Movement which leads to too many HRs.

Other than that, he's good.

HRs are greatly affected by ballpark dimensions.
If you can play him only in a park with high walls and/or large outfield, he's gonna be good.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep or cut Mango?

* Regular season
* Minors
* Amateur

He turns 26 next season. Regular season stats look more like Amateur stats than Minors stats. His Minors stats are the primary reason I've stuck with him this long. Does he improve as a reliever, or do I just fish for a reliever in the offseason and give up on the Minor League glitter?

P.S. I had hoped Mango would look more like this guy.

Updated Sunday, November 28 2021 @ 7:48:25 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty surprised he has done as well as he has (everywhere), obviously a highly under-rated player. He is always going to have some trouble with HRs. I think he had a bit of luck in that regard in the minors. I don't see him improving dramatically, but he is probably a little better than last season. Maybe a 1.500 WHIP? Not great, but could be a passable role piece.
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I say keep Mango if you have the roster spot, if he is a young cheap replacement-level pitcher (also able to start with his stamina) then he could be useful. He gets decent Ks. He needs to bring down his ERA, can he be a 4.50ERA/1.50 WHIP guy?

It also depends on the rest of your staff right now, and your transactions early next season. There are years when that type of guy is useful for being an innings eating end of the rotation SP who wont kill you.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think he must have peeked in on this conversation. He put in 5 2/3 of two-hit relief in a must-win game last night. As if to say "I hear you loud and clear, hardhat."
mrprogamer2020

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No wonder my man Clark Parker can't get below a 5.5 ERA no matter how good he is as a #1 Starting Pitcher. Probably going to get a pitcher for a round one pick next season.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If I might venture an unsolicited opinion, SI is very helpful but not always predictive of pitching performance. Where the SI goes is much more important in my view. If it was just SI, there wouldnt be much point, everyone would just fight over the same players and go for the same builds.

Roldan, VI.18's best pitcher and likely Cy Young winner (again), attributes, other than an amazing ability to throw strikes, certainly dont hint at his ability to dominate (even in VI). He wasnt quite as good in V. (2049) but still very good, even with his less than ideal 13/11/15 V/CoS/M.

https://brokenbat.org/player/222088

Sometimes pitchers are in the wrong role, even if their attributes say they shouldnt be.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Roldan has godly Control, which can be a major factor. Mango not so much, which is why his minor league performance is so surprising.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/260737/L

Could be a fluke, but take out one insane AI shellacking on Aug'24 4 2/3 IP, 14 ER, and his ERA would be close to 3. Also, looks like he's done with SI.

14V/7CoS/9M/14C should NOT yield 23 GS/16 QS, even in L6. His control did make a difference. When he would walk 3-4 in a start he would not normally have a good one. Even with that one blip, he was 10th in the league in ERA, 7th in WHIP

I am sure higher leagues - higher SI - higher stats may make a big difference, but I have not seen it with my own eyes yet
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Is Howie a lost cause? This is pretty much a make-or-break season for him as far as I'm concerned.

Minors

Majors

Had high hopes from Minors performance.

Previous Page | Show All |