Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Promoting Player To Majors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a 20 year old get the same message today as well - http://brokenbat.org/player/254547

I'm not planning on bringing him up this season except possibly as injury cover.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Cook is a 12 POT and is already at 90 SI, so just 6 short of the minimum for 12. I like to leave my players in AAA a little extra, but he's probably soon to be as ready as he is going to get.

On the Rhino's, Burton does look like he could benefit from some extra AAA time.

Updated Friday, December 4 2020 @ 5:03:39 pm PST
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
@Geech - Can you explain the "6 short of the minimum" for me?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What he means is that 6 more SI makes him a POT 12.

He's young. You won't hurt him if you leave him down for another 6 months to a year. But you also might not gain a lot. Lots of factors. Is his real SI showing, or is he over rated. Is he really a POT 12, or is he a POT 13 in disguise. If he is a POT 12, does he cap at 96 or 103?

If it were me, I would leave him down till the all-star break, and then reevaluate. But I am more conservative with promotions. He hasn't performed great in the minors. Possibly due to being promoted too quickly (via aggressive AI recommendations), or possibly because he is a mediocre player. Either way, I don't think it hurts to leave him down a bit longer.
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
So, if I have it right (and I'm more of a Hardwood basketball guy), if he is POT 12, then he can't be any higher than SI of 96 at this age? And if he's a POT 13 in disguise, there is "more" possible room to grow?

So, along these lines, that learned all he can was definitely there before the three training pops he got yesterday. Might be a secret 13, might just be good timing?

And if anyone that reads this is so inclined - I feel like this guy can be good. Am I wrong?

http://brokenbat.org/player/244137
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That guy looks like he could become a really good player.

For hitters, POT is basically "average rating". There are 8 skills. So a POT of 10 means the total SI would be between 80 and 87. That is assuming the POT is correct, which it sometimes isn't.

So its a range. A POT 12 will be somewhere between 96 and 103 if they are really a POT 12.

Pitchers are similar, but their skills are weighted differently. You can see the weighting in the manual.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
The thing to keep in mind is that all players gain some SI through training and some through experience. As a practical matter, the amount of SI different players gain through training and experience can vary quite a bit depending on what kind of draftee he is and randomness individual to the player. However, if a player is getting close to his POT rating, then there's a good chance that a lot of his remaining SI to gain are experience SI.

Because Cook's SI is so high already, most of the dude's remaining SI are probably experience. I think it's likely whether he's a 12 or 13, but especially if he's really a 12. My point about six from the minimum was, as Rock explained, just highlighting that he was already almost as 12 SI player.

Like Rock, though, I often give my players extra time in the minors.
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the help! I did not know that POT was calculated in that fashion. Certainly helps me weed out some players with low POT that are hanging around.

The other player, Wickens, I asked about has gone from POT 13 to 15, so it is good to know that he's probably going to turn out decent (if his BC was higher, I'd be even happier...).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just be careful. POT is intentionally fuzzy, and we've seen it change by 2 levels sometimes. So a young guy who is a POT 11 *could* be as high as POT 13 in reality. Also, sometimes the ratings beat the POT even if the POT doesn't change...

One last thing. Players do still gain Training in the majors. So as Geech pointed out, if he is close to maxing out his Training anyhow, he can still max it when he promotes.
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
In the end, I did bring Burton up to be a pinch-hitting option for the last 3 Cup games yesterday as we'd picked up a couple of injuries in Game 1. He currently has an OPS of 5.000. Part of me feels he should retire now. http://brokenbat.org/player/254547/X

Previous Page | Show All |