Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Riddle Me This: Player Performance   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
OK, I've not been around here as long as many, and my tenure in Hardwood is longer. Someone might be able to answer this one for me.

Please tell me how this player: http://brokenbat.org/player/233453 ends up as an all-league player at RF with a .298 AVG and 16 HRs...

...and this guy http://brokenbat.org/player/230097 only hits .247 with 22 HRs.

Is it just my luck with the RNG and the sim, or is there something underlying that I'm not catching that might help that 2nd player Finley perform better?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There are a LOT of factors. Which is why I advise looking at performance when evaluating a player

- Glick is a lefty. He hits rigthies (the majority of pitchers) very well. A strong split. I wouldn't use him in your vLHP lineup, but his split towards righties means he will perform above his level when facing them.

- Players get streaky. I've had guys follow up hall of fame years with complete duds. It happens a lot. Finley did great in 2046. No reason to think he won't bounce back.

- Player ratings can be off by as much as 20%. So its possible that Finley isn't as good as you think.

- BC is important. Players with low BC seem to be even more susceptible to streakiness. These guys both have low BC.

If I had to guess, I suspect Finley will perform better this year, while Glick will perform worse. But with that low BC its really anyone's guess.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Finley hit for a substantially lower average vs left-handed pitchers than righties in 2047. However, the opposite has been true across his major and minor league career as whole. His platoon splits don't look especially pronounced in general, but this would lead me to believe 2047 is probably a fluke. I think Finley's numbers vs LHP will probably improve substantially in 2048 and as a result his numbers as a whole will probably look better.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Finley's 91 walks last season are nothing to sneeze at either. Almost a hundred RBI too and 84 runs scored.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's true. A .788 OPS is actually very good. Its just that Glick has an amazing year. I'm doubtful that Glick will repeat that performance.

Previous Page | Show All |