9th inning for mine ..

"Moose" Baker

"On the land line" Trejo

new search
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually put a setup guy to pitch for close games, and use my second setup as a younger rookie to eat up the trash innings. That way if I'm down by only a little I can come back and if I'm up by only a little I can hold on. I find that by including close but losing along with the close but winning games games I get the most usage and effect out of my best reliever.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've done 2 inning when I've had Closers with lots of stamina. Its a trade-off. They get a lot more innings, but it also means they are sometimes coming into games with some energy lose. At 1 inning, he's pretty much ready to go every game when I need him.

Its a decent compromise if you want more innings out of your closer. Just expect them to be a little bit less effective in the role.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
after tweaking the settings I've got to the point where 95% of the time I'm happy with what I see in the box score

I definitely think closer by committee is a valid option. It just has some trade-offs, and definitely requires that you pay closer attention to how the relief game is playing out from game to game. The Closer allows a bit more of a set and forget for those of us who are lazy ;)
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had a pretty sad season.

However my closer http://brokenbat.org/player/204868

Has been outstanding: 48 games 45 saves, 2 blown and 1 loss.

However my terrible lack of production, combined with many high scored defeats has meant that he has been relied upon to keep me above 500

Still he's improved no end and for me a ray of sunshine in a frustrating season...

Jim
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Same with me. My Closer has been pretty much the only bright spot on the team.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
If you looking at my closer&setup they are identical. Age is different I'm thinking running 2setups and give them same management setting. But closer's come into games you have guaranteed chances of saving it. Setups can come into any games no guaranteed chances.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Just to complicate matters (which if you read my post I like to do for arguments sake!) if you look at solis he’s got 55 saves and 3 blown saves. I exclusively used him in 1 innings saves and the conversion rate is great. BUT, my overall team record there is 60 and 15, meaning the other guys went 5-12 presumably by blowing it in the 8th, maybe the 9th if solis was gassed.

A 4 to 1 conversion looks pretty solid, but the argument can at least be made that solis, even taking a hit from being tired more often, COULD have met or bested the overall numbers if I had played him in the 8th as well.

I think it really comes down to whether you want the extra workload on one guy or spread a bit more, assuming you even want to use a specified closer to begin with.

Personally I think it would have been around the same overall record and I like the idea of a rested closer coming in in the 9th knowing that means less innings that closer will ultimately pitch.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/game/3843427
This is why I use closer.
Perfect save situation and dumb manager puts lefty inexperience in, instead of 2 proven setups and a man with 34saves dumb manager. Trying this and now I go back to having closer assigned.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I’ve gone the non designated closer route, and after having one this year, I am definitely for it..

Here is my guys year this year,

http://brokenbat.org/player/210963

And honestly I’m hoping for a bit more next year. Best part for me is he was a straight FA pickup after the first round of waivers during a season flip. He has really excelled for me this year, and I use him multiple innings.. most of the time he goes 2 innings for his saves..

Previous Page | Show All |