Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Evaluating youth   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
rlawrence

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, so I see some 17 year old with a '7' in hitting, and 'will never be a good hitter' comment.

I see another with a '1' in hitting, and 'can be a very good hitter' comment.

So, if he can be a very good hitter, do I even really care what his starting numbers are? Or if he starts so low, do you just leave him be?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The "very good" represents his cap. You generally expect a VG hitter to finish in the 14-17 range.

Some players add SI faster, move through the minors faster. I am quite convinced there is a hidden variable (which I usually refer to as "talent") which influences how much SI they add. Talent is a fairly common feature in sports management games like BrokenBat.

When the training update fires my guess is it checks to see if the player is below cap, and then adds a chunk of skill related to the players talent.

(There are other factors - we've been told that part of the added skill is a random. Your manager also has an influence).

If correct what this means is that starting skill level is important. There is a finite amount of time a player can spend in the minors. If starting skill is low and talent is low then a player may not make their cap. An 18 yr old "VG" with 1 hitting is a higher risk proposition than an 18 yr old "VG" with 9 hitting.

Doesn't mean you should cut the 1 hit guy. He may turn out fine. (Butler for example had a starting hit skill of 0. A season and a half later it was still 0. But he filled out fine). But these guys are higher risk.

Worth noting that it seems that the written scouting is occasionally inaccurate. A player may say "VG" but might actually just be good. He may come up short of expectations even tho his starting skill and talent were fine.

Hope that makes sense. Dinos place a great deal of importance on starting / current skill numbers when doing prospect evaluation.

Previous Page | Show All |