Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Players Hot and Cold streaks   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Gibstar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Are Hot and Cold streaks controllable at all?

My team had a stellar Spring Training, get to the regular season and the majority of my pitchers are Very Cold? and getting shelled by weaker competition.

Just curious as to the rhyme or reason to the hot and cold streaks. I can only push back starts so long?

My team is aging so I figured that could be a reason but even my young guns who lit up the spring are cold?

With that said, I would rather everyone cold now and hot come playoff time.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If they are, I certainly haven't found the magic method.

Spring training is pretty meaningless since you are mostly just playing against minor leaguers.

My team is super cold right now. And these are guys with 5+ seasons of solid major league stats... Unfortunately being cold now doesn't mean they won't also be cold later. Some guys are just cold all year. Reference Scanlon's performance last season.

Updated Thursday, September 24 2020 @ 3:02:56 pm PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have no real proof, because black box, but my going theory for more than a year now is during the season flip each player gets a slight modifier positive or negative, which affects their overall performance for the season. For simplicity's sake, say a range of modifiers from +3 (better than average year) to -3 (worse than average year) that get tacked on to the player's game calculations for the season. Again, no proof, just the story I build in my head.

Updated Friday, September 25 2020 @ 6:59:41 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. My theory is much the same as Lostraven's.

Small adjustments in the number regularly (with training update maybe, or perhaps as often as each game sim). Total reset in the number before the season and at the all-star break. (Maybe when injured, when cut, ...).

One of my biggest problems with this theory is that there is often a divergence between offensive play and defensive play. Scanlon is a good example. His offense was dreadful last season, but his defense was way above expectations.

Maybe errors are just so volatile they are noisy.
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's probably an overal number value which can be 'tweaked +/-

Then within that individual aspects hit - field etc so that if 3% comes off one then it must go - 'somewhere' whether that's broken down into the individuals ranges is what's random

And as above maybe reset spring break or not until the end of the season.

Also, humans go through cycles hot-cold streaks so that may also be apart of the 'black box'...

Jim
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Scanlon's fielding was right on par for him. I suspect that if there is a "form" variable (and its not just RNG), that it probably effects hitting and pitching only (not defense).

Previous Page | Show All |