Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Pitchers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Just saying, but I've been noticing Pitchers on the waivers have been getting scarce, like just today the last pitcher that i had in my weekly results (i do mine below 30, 95+ SI) gone today (booo Patterson) and I've been trying to pull out some pitchers myself but have been very unsuccessful doing so.

As the seasons gone by I've been seeing less valuable pitchers on the market, and also some teams who value Pitcher FAs (like myself) somewhat 'depend' on FA Pitchers.

Also with the user base getting bigger and more knowledgeable users, common sense tells that they keep their stud pitchers.

So heres the discussion, are pitchers getting more scarce???

My opinion: To me it is, either that or teams or hoarding their studs : P but when you do go look at youth FAs and even regular FAs, there are way more Cs, 1B, 2B, 3B, OF in the market then pitchers. In MY youth pulls, I've never golded out a stud pitcher ever since.....Ramiro Zapata. I also think that some other teams depend on Pitchers who are FAs, because they can't pull out a stud themself. Once the Pitchers start getting more shallow, only the teams who have stud pitchers will win.

Just a thought, I would like to get a fun discussion started
LCabral23

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Luckily I didn't (haven't) had to pick up any FA pitchers this year... but I will say that when I "youth draft" a player the fielders tend to have better options (higher potential/develop better) than pitchers... That could just be a coincidence but it is what has been happening to me.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have to imagine that the rookies are randomly generated and there may have been some poor batches lately. However, I think more likely the issue is the time of year.

Think about it, what scenarios could you be in to release a stud pitcher? Possibilities:

1. He got old/deteriorating. If he's older than 35, he doesn't come back on the market. Anyone 35 or less probably didn't drop too much and teams may be holding on to them because they haven't had a few regular season games under their belt to find out if their arm fell off after they aged.

2. Cost too much. Teams haven't had a full week yet to gauge how much money they are making or losing. Nobody is in panic-sell mode yet.

3. Natural selection. Rookies coming up need playing time and are a better option than the older stud. Not likely to happen very often.

Those are what I can think of. Being at the start of the year, we are all in the same boat. Our players got older, we're looking for replacements before letting go the stud pitcher. Any that have gone to FA are likely to be snatched up in a hurry because we're all looking for the same thing.

I expect later in the season to be a better market for FAs as 'good' players underperform and are cut, minor players skill up and become viable (and cheaper) replacements, teams go bankrupt and are forced to sell off high-value assets, etc.

Hold tight, watch the FA market going forward and keep grabbing those high-school pitchers with your fingers crossed.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I also think people keep non-pitcher for a number of reasons.....good defense, hits for a high average, great power, base stealer. A flawed player is often a decent role player on the team.

A pitcher....if he can't get outs, he just isn't worth very much.

Steve
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i will say i have been trying to build my staff since i joined and its been alottttttttttttt tougher than the offense. i have yet to pull any true stud pitchers for rookies, we shall see
Alsek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A few things that have made it hard to build a solid staff:

- It is hard to slot an under performing pitcher in your staff to get exp. A struggling hitter can get some AB's without hurting you too much, but a struggling pitcher is really going to stand out.

- a lot of the ballparks are built for hitting. so even if you have a great pitcher, if he throws half his starts in a hitter's paradise, he is going to be hit. some sort of ballpark related stat would be amazing, but i'm not sure how to calculate it.

- fielding is tough to build around. i generally look for great hitters which i'm sure hurts my fielding, which in turn makes my pitchers look bad. it is also tough to figure out fielding as there isn't a ton of metrics to figure out things like range or even if that plays a factor (aka is having a high fielding stat really that beneficial? or not?).

LCabral23

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Your point about fielding is very true... It would be interesting to see a "chart" or "graph" that demonstrates what the various numbers amount to in regards to throwing distance and range, etc. I think that would also help managers better place some of their players...

I also agree that it is hard to slot an under performing pitcher into your staff... I know that the LR or MR are supposed to be the "worst" pitching positions but having one terrible pitcher in one of those positions could totally ruin your team...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah....try to put less proven pitchers at LR and maybe MR. If you think he's going to be a great pitcher, you might accelerate development and put him in the 5th spot in the rotation and take your lumps.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |