Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Wasted Talent   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Under the old system I pulled 11 POT 14s in 17 seasons. 0 POT 15s, and 0 POT 16s. And most of those POT 14s were garbage.

Not sure where these ridiculous expectations that you should get star players every round came from...

Updated Saturday, August 29 2020 @ 4:29:57 pm PDT
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Has anyone every done any research to quantify this often stated theory that there are a bunch of 13+ POT players masquerading as 11 or 12 POT on the waiver wire?

It sounds good in theory but you make it sound like it is a frequent occurrence when it's probably not.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've seen quite a few guys pop.

Here are a few data points from just my league this season:

Alberto Toca - 13 -> 14
Hunter Tate - 13 -> 14
Mauricio Bravo - 12 -> 13
Trent Hibbard - 12 -> 13
Ivan Galvez - 12 -> 13 (been around too long to know where his POT started out)
Sylvester Scott - 12 -> 13 (drafted before POT was tracked)

Texarkana had two guys improve this season (Tate and Galvez).

In the last three seasons, Jersey City has drafted four guys that gained in POT, and none that declined.

My favorite is Tony Estrella who was drafted by Santa Monica in the last round last season. Drafted as a POT 9, popped to a 10 already. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop to 11. And he has a very nice build for an 11. Could actually be a useful player in the future.

Don't expect guys to go from 12 -> 14 in one season. They will more likely sharpen slowly over the course of several seasons. But there have been at least a few recorded instances of guys going from 12 to 14. It was harder to track before POT was tracked. It will be easier moving forward to see these guys who pop 2 in POT.

Looking at your team, since POT tracking has been in place, you've had 7 draftees improve in POT and 7 guys reduce in POT. So 50/50 as would be expected with fuzziness. One guy improved to 14! Unfortunately for you he is now Starting for a LL-2 team... Two guys improved from 11 to 12. The POT 14 is less likely to improve further, but I wouldn't be shocked to see either one of those new POT 12s become 13s eventually.

Updated Saturday, August 29 2020 @ 9:46:12 pm PDT
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So many very young players who ended up playing too many games for the Taylor Tigers/Kingsport Kings last year. That guy is destroying parts of the talent pool just for the kick of it.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know its technically not possible to prove, but is there anything that could be done to either remove that owner or limit the ability for 18 y/o to start in the majors?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He didn't do anything against the rules. So I don't think it would be fair to remove him. Steve is the only one who can decide actions, but I would love to see him limit the number of teams someone can have. Maybe two max?

I don't think we should limit the use of 18 year olds. I don't like the idea of limiting the game to try and address one user's bad behavior.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Another thing that drives me nuts when looking at waiver/free agents is when you see something like a catcher with a 10 arm who would have made a great 2B but there he is at 24-25 with just the C because he didn’t get trained properly. I see so many players I would want for other positions than they are qualified for but it is too late.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy is a good example of wasted potential. Granted he was cut (after 1 week), not weeded. But exactly the sort of guy that does get weeded (originally a POT 11).

Showed good speed and power in the Latin league, and he could be a really good player. But after missing out on two whole seasons, its unlikely he can develop to his full potential.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Or that guy Positions: (nun)

.. usually takes a few decades to get there

Previous Page | Show All |