Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Retirement and Player Injuries   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Two questions.

How does player retirement work? My team is aging but none of my players has ever retired while on my team. Will players retire while they are still owned by a team? What decides whether a player will retire or not?

Are player injures influenced by games played, number of AB's, innings pitched, pitches thrown, age? Basically, is a player more likely to get injured if they play more or if they are older?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answers.

Celtics

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think players do not retire,but they lose their skills when they age and I don't know what influences injuries.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/6874

they just live on graciously in the back

Updated Thursday, July 11 2013 @ 8:04:16 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, after 35 yo, if a player is released, he will no longer be available as a free agent. So at that point, he is effectively retired.

Steve
Achates1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Injuries happen, they stink. I had my all star catcher go down during the playoffs. He is my best player and probably was the best player in the league. I also had my best pitcher and #1 starter get injured just prior to the playoffs. I had a great year bust lost in the finals. Injuries happen.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Are player injures influenced by games played, number of AB's, innings pitched, pitches thrown, age? Basically, is a player more likely to get injured if they play more or if they are older?

Sorry...missed this question.

Injuries are influence by amount of playing time and position played (i.e. DH less likely to get injured). Also, with pitchers, if you over-pitch them, their injury rate will climb.

Steve
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Injuries are influence by amount of playing time and position played (i.e. DH less likely to get injured). Also, with pitchers, if you over-pitch them, their injury rate will climb.

This explains why last season some of my star players were regularly unavailable through injury during the second half of the season; I thought the injured player was selected randomly but clearly I got too dependent on my starting lineup.
  • Does over-playing also impact player performance?
  • The rule book describes fatigue for pitchers, but does it apply for non-pitchers too?

Finally, please can the rule book be updated to make this clearer for new players
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
No, only over-pitching is a problem. Playing a non-pitcher everyday doesn't increase his injury rate.

However, injuries exist so that clubs are built in a well balanced manner. You should expect your backups to play 10-20 games a year because of shot-term injuries to your starters. More if the starter has an extended injury.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |