Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Spring Training Games   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Coolhand

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I play only players that are still gaining SI, so young majors players and minors players. I don't play anyone that is 28+ or at their max SI until the games matter.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Play all the young ones (25 and younger) in spring training and don't worry about wins and losses. They are all exhibition games.
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks guys

That's pretty much what I'm doing except for when substituting.

But if only the under 25yr olds get most effect and then none 28+ I'll rejig to reflect.

Many thanks

Jim
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My main concern is any adverse effect on the vets in the show already? Will that get 'rusty' - not game fit/less dial'd in?

If sat too long on the bench.

Which is why I was going to slowly drift them back in so the starting line-up is ready come day one - or is the game not wired that way and leaving them off for the x games makes zero diff to the established players?

Updated Thursday, June 18 2020 @ 12:08:08 pm PDT

Updated Thursday, June 18 2020 @ 12:10:52 pm PDT
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
If you have player between 25-27 has not gained full SI yes Sub them in 28-30 is rare to gaining anything in spring older than that vets only decline.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No guarantee, but I don't believe they get rusty. The vast majority of us just us spring training to get experience for players who are still devleoping.

BTW, during the season the AI manager will substitute in the best players. During spring training, the AI manager will substitute in young players. The AI logic changes (for the better).

So if you have 27, 28 year olds who you want to have playing time, you might want to specifically slot them in for a few games.

That said, I would only do that for players that you want to try and get more SI out of before the season starts. In generally the younger guys are a better investment (if they will become full-time players in the future).
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So does it actually make sense to start experienced players in spring trainig to get "rust off"?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My working assumption is that "rust" is not a thing in the game. I would only play 27/28 year olds that are still developing. But I would still recommend giving playing time to better investments if you have them.

Or if you are trying really hard to get an older guy position experience. Spring training can help with that as well.

Updated Tuesday, June 23 2020 @ 4:23:25 pm PDT
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks! You are right, I must have mixed it up with OOTP. I rechecked BB's manual now and the need of "getting off rust" during spring training is not mentioned there.
Still, over the years I've build the impression that it helps to let all players play in spring training to get a better start into the season. However I'm trying not to start my regulars until the last 10 games of ST or so. That's because again, I had the impression that otherwise they would be too exhausted in the season finale. I bet BB's creator would be laughing out loud reading this :)

PS - I forgot to mention that the rules are saying that there are 20 ST games, but there are actually 30 ST games meanwhile (Games section, -Schedule).

Updated Wednesday, June 24 2020 @ 2:39:42 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually do the opposite. I will play developing guys from my starting lineup during the earlier games of spring training. And then I pull them for the later half of spring training to reduce the risk of injuries bleeding into the regular season.

Previous Page | Show All |