Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> The Luckiest Team In Broken Bat?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
hurstdm is my favorite opponent poster.

Awesome, awesome stuff.
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah Rohnert Park is lucky that's why they're ahead of us.... oh nm we're next on the list.

Last year I felt lucky that we didn't get relegated, we came back over the last month or two. We are prone to giving up a lot of HR, so maybe we tend to have some bad games? I think we had some specific pitchers that were bad that we've cut back on over this season. Last year we were 76-84 with a -90 RD, so that seems lucky, or again maybe our good pitchers kept us in some games but our bad pitchers got blown out. Also if I remember correctly we had a -40 RD just through the first 15 or 16 games.

The back end of our bullpen is pretty good with Zapata and Ramires and in the middle Acuna is pretty solid despite some HR issues. So they keep us in some close games but maybe if we're down early some of the other guys are giving up runs in what's already not a close game.

Interesting!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Haverhill (+80) is currently sitting 3 games behind Eden Prairie (-2)... Doesn't really matter though because Saratoga just went on a 13 game winning streak, which included sweeps of both Haverhill and Eden Prairie, LOL. So our division is pretty much wrapped up.

BTW, just to tie all the teams together, "Ahl-Star" Rodger Ahlberg came up in the Saratoga organization, was traded to Murfreesboro in 2044, released in 2045, picked up for a short stint in Eden Prairie before securing a job as vRHP platoon 1B on Haverhill.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
BTW, not necessarily luck. A lot also depends on team makeup. A bad bullpen can lead to a losing a lot of tight games and performing poorly against your RD. The opposite with a good bullpen. Having a polarized pitching staff (half good / half horrible) will also inflate your RD. Winning 3 games by a healthy +8 RD can all be wiped out by a rookie starting pitcher who gives up 10 runs a game.

Also, outperforming FIP is supposed to mean you have good fielding, not that you are lucky. But I pretty much consider FIP to be a garbage meaningless stat, so maybe it is just luck ;)

RISP may be luck, or possibly related to a hidden trait. We will never know :)

Updated Tuesday, June 2 2020 @ 3:10:13 pm PDT
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
SLO Turtles sighting! Hey, I would rather be lucky than good.

As an additional data point, my Turtles are a remarkable 27-16 in one run games so far this season. That's the most wins in one run games in our league, although it's not the best winning percentage.

We do have a strong back end of the bullpen and uneven starting pitching, though, so maybe we're actually evidence for Rock's theory.

Updated Tuesday, June 2 2020 @ 4:27:29 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My 1-run record is the difference between 3rd and 1st (Haverhill 14-21, Saratoga 21-13). Although its less clear to me why we always seem to have horrible 1-run records.

Don't get me wrong, Saratoga has definitely been the better team this year. I just don't think we should be 7 games out at this point.

This guy certainly didn't help us :(

Updated Tuesday, June 2 2020 @ 5:31:29 pm PDT
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How about the inverse?
Sacramento was 10 games under the RD projection last year.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome Moo Cows!
6th Man

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can we delete this thread? It jinxed me. Since it was made I am 1-6. Got 4 game swept by Mt. Prospect, the second place team chasing me. Cut my 7 game lead to 2...

Tragic
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Solons: How about the inverse? Sacramento was 10 games under the RD projection last year.

Being under by 10 games is completely brutal. My sympathies. I'm not going to do it right now, but someone else could figure out The Unluckiest Team In Broken Bat just by flipping over all the metrics. It wasn't too hard.

Previous Page | Show All |