Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Homeruns Per Innings Pitched   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
as said above 10 IP per HR is a good standard...below that and I make the pitcher a short reliever or a cut.

I also use that number to look at what pitching skills/or lack thereof influence that stat, and how far away the outfield walls are/should be
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
HR/IP is just one factor. Granted its an important one, but you really need to look at the whole pitcher. For unimportant roles like SP, it might not be a big deal if he gives up HRs. Especially if he strikes a lot of guys out and gives up few hits or walks. HRs are most damaging if there are additional runners on base.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@jclemen2 - Rojas is exactly the sort of extremely homer-prone pitcher you're better avoiding, 258 HR in 1400 innings is awful, and his ERA/FIP shows it. Sometimes a high SI and POT isn't everything, its results that count.

10 IP per HR is the standard I've always used.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Rojas is an interesting case. Totally agree that his HR rate is one of the lousiest I've seen of a regular pitcher, but interesting in that he's been able to manage as well as he has, especially as Mount Prospect has moved up in leagues so steadily. Definitely has to do with stopping the bleeding with his fantastic K:BB ratio and attractive WHIP.

I guess you have to just toss all of those factors into a blender and see what flavor shake you end up with. I could see wanting to hold on to a 110+ SI pitcher who's .500 at the upper leagues, especially when he's giving you the $500k/year hometown discount.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Lol I just checked again and found another funny one:

His BAA is also very low in the .250s. So while he's given up 1424 lifetime hits, an incredible 258 have come as dingers. That's >18% HR rate on hits allowed.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Most of my pitchers have good HR ratios. But some of my best have not. McNabb is a good example. Sub-10 ratio (8.65), but I still considered him an Ace. So good in fact he was my closer for several seasons despite Closer being the last place you want to be giving up HRs.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Justin Verlander has a tendancy to give up home runs lately. I dare you to cut him. The whole of the parts is what I look at. One stat line is noise.
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Rojas was my 2nd pick I ever made when i joined in the 2030 season. He was supposed to be the future ace, but he's disappointed everywhere I've used him including as closer where he had 12 saves and 7 blown saves.

I just haven't been able to release him, but another terrible year and it will be time. Maybe i just need to start him on the road at Smyrna with their 35 foot walls and at Santa Monica with their 335 ft foul poles with 15 feet walls.

Updated Monday, April 13 2020 @ 10:36:14 am PDT
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Just won a high claimer on a guy with higher than ideal HR:IP ratio. Like Rojas, I’m hoping his low BAA and high K:BB ratio shine brighter than the dingers.
http://brokenbat.org/player/172430

Updated Tuesday, April 14 2020 @ 2:14:56 pm PDT
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Just an update, Rojas is in a Long Relief role, he's given up 2HR in 2 1/3 innings.

Previous Page | Show All |