Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Feedback on the new active game play   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/game_action/928332

Every time Huerta threw 100mph the PBP malfunctioned. In the 3rd inning I saw it go up to 123mph, and stopped watching.

Okay, I see this and will fix it.

Meanwhile, you think anyone will be able to hit that kind of heat?

Thanks for pointing this out,

Steve

Updated Sunday, June 23 2013 @ 2:25:46 pm PDT
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The score, number of outs, the count and base runners are from before the pitch. Those values are updated after the pitch. I don't know...is that too confusing?
I just felt it as a logical order / flow that:
  • the pitcher / batter provides info about the at bat
  • the pitch / outcome info about the pitch
  • the narrative explains anything that happens as a consequence (outs, base movements, scores, etc.)
  • the outs / strikes / balls is a visual indicator of the status (after all of the above)
I want to reduce the amount of times my eyes move up and down the screen. Just an opinion
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, my plan is to make a couple of settings options that allows the user to select either pitch-by-pitch or batter-by-batter viewer. Also, an option for faster or slower scrolling.

I understanding about the length of the games with the pitch-by-pitch veiwer, but I'm not sure how fast one can read and process each pitch. It's set to 2 seconds per pitch...is that too fast or too slow?

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I found it a lot of info to absorb but I think this would be easier to assimilate if reordered because I think it could logically help the eye work from top to bottom:
Line 1: Inning - Pitcher - Batter
Line 2: Pitch - Outcome (Strike/Foul/Ball/In Play)
Line 3: Narrative, but begin this with a statement such as Out, Hit, Score followed by a ":" then the statement
Line 4: Out, Ball and Strike counts (graphically if it were possible)

Yeah, I'm watching Sunday night baseball and am looking at the graphic they have and how they display things.

Also, been looking at some screen shots from other baseball games/programs.

I agree, I think there is room for improvement.

Thanks,

Steve
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel the overall game takes too long to run; I think yesterday was about 15 or nearer 20 mins; I think this needs to be something like 5 mins shorter.

However, the pace of the pitches was about right for me; I have a ticking clock by my pc and it was nicely in rhythm with that.

I missed the occasional pitch; presumably because of a "glitch" ion the line and was left hanging-on for the result of the following pitch comes throw to see what had happened.

You might be able to make it quicker; with a single update for the ball and strike count as this updates in two places (the narrative and then the count).

If the ball is batted I think it should say "In Play" or "Out" and then let the normal match narrative take it from there (it does something like this on the MLB site). For example, there is a "strange" delay if the ball is fouled out and then caught by the pitcher.

Maybe you could speed up the bit between innings; but it is important to see it the pitcher has changed.

I would like also to see the total pitch count for the pitcher
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I can pretty much set the interval between pitches to almost any speed, but they become unreadable. To do pitch-by-pitch is just going to take longer, but I will add the batter-by-batter option and adjustable speed in the user settings.

Also...I think I can add total pitch count fairly easily.

Steve

Updated Monday, June 24 2013 @ 12:40:20 pm PDT
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree, for the amount of information the pbp viewer gives every pitch the speed is about right.

Nice to hear the bat by bat viewer is going to be an option, and that we'll be able to adjust speed.

It would also be nice to be able to pause viewer as well, if possible.

Now, with the pbp action in the game, I think it would be useful to have all that new info incorporated in the game summary, that is if the game engine is also working pitch by pitch, of course.
Ainsoph

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just tried it out and I was going to suggest pitch count and pause button. This might be far fetched but what about a graphic that showed where on the field the ball was hit, whether fair or out?

It would be nice to have some sort of indicator of the handedness of the pitchers and hitters near their names during the at bat.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I just tried the 1 second pitch-by-pitch. I found it is fast but good; just about absorbable but a quick game.

I also haven't seen any glitches in coding today.

Excellent job methinks!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
> pitch count

You mean the number of pitches thrown by the pitcher? The balls and strikes are up there.

>and pause button.

Good suggestion…might take a little work, but I’ll look into it.

>This might be far fetched but what about a graphic that showed where on the field the ball was hit, whether fair or out?

Ditto…need to look into how to do this. Certainly agreed that the format of the display could be improved.

> indicator of the handedness of the pitchers and hitters near their names during the at bat.

Okay…I think that’s position with a little work.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |