Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2042 Season   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its unclear to me, what you think is the problem or solution here?

The second link looks incredibly normal. A couple teams at the bottom demoting who got pummeled, and and couple teams on the top advancing. Everyone else just did ok.

In the first link, you have two Eastern teams that pummeled a bunch of weak teams. The better of those teams in promoting. Standard stuff. Not sure what the issue is here?

Updated Wednesday, October 23 2019 @ 10:03:14 am PDT
BUDude

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm guessing he was commenting on the fact that V.10 West had the winner at 88 wins with 5th place at 85. If most of us lose an extra couple games, we might fall a place or two, but in that case the league winner was only 3 games ahead of a relegation team.Nothing special in the East in that league. V.4 West had a similar thing, but with a slightly larger margin between first and relegation teams.

Also, for those following along, Strongsville finished the season at 5-5 to finish with an 80-80 record. Exactly .500. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Our league was like that this season too. I don't see a close league as an issue.

And I certainly wouldn't suggest the 87-73 team in the West deserve to promote over the 96-64 team in the East...?
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
The Marshals tied the teams worst record ever at 46-114 this season. We had a few interesting players this season like Ferguson and Payne , but the season was completely horrible. I hope that next season will be better.
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Its unclear to me, what you think is the problem or solution here?

I think his point (at the risk of speaking for him) is that in one league you have a 85-75 team relegating while a 68-92 team is staying. The other looks relatively close, however you have a 82-78 team relegating that would have finished 2nd in the other division.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe. Still not sure what the problem or the solution would be? Promote 8 teams? Who gets demoted above then? I think is getting too tied up with record without considering opponent is a big part of that. If you play weak opponents, your record will be good. It doesn't mean you are better than the teams the next level up.
BUDude

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Obviously trying not to speak for him, but I don't think he was trying to suggest it was a problem. Rather, it's just something interesting to see leagues that are so tight in competition. Obviously it's not necessarily *that* rare either, but it's always fun to see the tight races that develop in some divisions where several teams are in the race until the last day or so.

Ultimately, that happens in real life but without promotion or relegation. It's a part of the sport that some teams will have good records but will not make the playoffs because of a tough division. Just the way it is :)
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Condors win game 7 in bottom of 8th. Great season!!!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well he said:

@steve, please adddress the imbalance
and
you can't look at the historical data here and say it's a fair system

So I'm pretty sure he thinks there is a problem.
BUDude

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah, I missed those parts. I suppose it is an imbalance, but it's an imbalance that is present in baseball as well. Or really any sport that doesn't use conference standings for playoffs, but rather division standings. It would be nice to have a wild card, but to do that you'd have to combine at least two "leagues" into a bracket to get anything like that, and, while fun, would really mess with the promotion/demotion system the higher you got on the pyramid. Ultimately, the system here works pretty well as is and is about as good as you're going to get in a promotion/demotion system.

Previous Page | Show All |