Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Ooohhh!
I had no idea...
Well done!

We may want to reconsider the scope of the enterprise then, given that many teams are already been taken care of

Thoughts?
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well one way or another, for the overall health of BB, some of these teams NEED help. Looking at a couple of the teams wickersty linked above (Blacksburg & Westbrook), it would take a special kind of rookie manager to take one of those teams and stick around. I don't know how many active managers there are of the 756 teams in BB but if Steve doesn't want us doing community rebuilds hopefully he will let some of us run a second team to help build up some of these teams that are in seriously bad shape. Just take a look at the minor leagues for Blacksburg... Brutal. In spite of what some people may think, beating the crap out of garbage bot teams is not my idea of a good time.

Updated Thursday, August 8 2019 @ 5:23:30 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wish I had lucked into one of those teams as a rookie.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If the goal of this is just some fun, I guess it's cool... but if the goal is to improve bot teams to make it easier for rookie owners, I'm opposed. This may sound harsh and elitist or whatever but I expect the average guy who's into stats and strategy enough to be good at even a simple game like this to be a standard deviation or two above the mean. What's the average IQ in Legends? I'm not sure how making it easier for a bunch of dumb guys to stick around and do a little better would improve the site.

But, yes, you can have a second team if Steve approves it. Shamokin is my second team.

Took over at the start of the 2035 season. They had lost 100+ games four straight seasons, finished last in LL6 every year, ranked 743 of 756 with 0 prestige. Six seasons later, we're ranked 74th, have won 90+ games four straight seasons, and just missed promoting to LL3 by one game and five runs this season... and that's with having a baby (and therefore less time for waivers and development tracking than is optimal) at about the same time I took over.

If more of these one-day owners did stick around, would they really ever be much competition? If existing owners who just can't figure it out are given loads of free advice by a community-managed team thread, will they ever develop past the point to which they were "trained?" Again, maybe harsh, but it seems to me that relatively dim guys who rage quit and cut good players in the process have the potential to hurt the game more than bot teams do.
The new draft format is enough help. Making the game completely idiot-proof probably shouldn't be a goal.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would agree. I don't think we need to help the new owners coming in. I *think* the goal here was more to have fun with it. As I assume is the same goal for folks like Repoman. I consider reviving a broken team to be great fun; that's why I wish I had done a better job picking a bottom dweller when I started. Instead I just choose one of the random options I was given. Maybe one day I will pick-up a second team like so many others have, but for now it still seems like a potential conflict of interest issue.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You know what? After reading the last couple of posts by Herp Derp and Rock... Here's where my mind is at with this whole idea, and where it was.

I'm 47 years old (the 71 in my username is 1971... yes, I'm old) and I really enjoy sports management sims. I also enjoy rooting for the underdog. For one I'm a Cubs fan so you can imagine how that has been for the last 40+ years. I was stoked when I found BB almost 4 years ago. The amount of help in the forums was crazy. I had never seen another game like it.

When this idea was first mentioned I was on board for the long haul. Kind of "let's see how far a couple/few of us can take a really crappy team. Then there were a couple posts about if it would be fair or not for people to team up and run a team. So then my mind went into the whole "fair" thing and started coming up with ideas that wouldn't make other managers upset about this whole idea. I started looking at some of the bottom ranked teams and some are really bad. I don't think very many brand new managers that would get one of these teams would stick around very long. But I guess that's ok. Like Herp was saying, relatively dim guys who rage quit and cut good players in the process have the potential to hurt the game more than bot teams do. So my whole "overall health of the game comment" was probably off base. The main group of managers always offer up help in the forums for any new manager into BB enough to really give it a shot.

So maybe it's time for me to go back to my "grumpy old man" self and not really worry too much about people getting upset. If Steve approves this idea, I'm down if someone wants me on their team. Let's take a bottom dweller as far as we can. If not, I'm fine with that, too.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, I can see where you’re coming from on the conflict of interest on a couple of fronts.

One, maybe dividing attention could hurt your existing team… but most of the guys I place waiver claims on with one team also get a claim from the other. There are a few guys who would fit one team and not the other but most could work on either. Not really that much more attention required.

Or maybe the conflict is in playing it straight if they ever meet… but my two teams have been in the same league (different divisions) for two of the six seasons I’ve had two. Just resist any temptation to take a dive, play your best players, keep the same basic strategy on both sides and it’s not really any different than playing anyone else. At higher levels, the other owners would probably notice dirty tricks… of course that’s if they know both teams are yours… in which case, similar usernames help. I’m Herp Derp and Hurr Durr… hard to hide that I’m the same guy.
You should seriously consider it. It really is fun to rebuild.

dsz, you’re not so old. Only got me by five years… (I know what you’re thinking, “who has a kid at 42?”… yeah, well, it’s true that the last time I carried around a 30lb toddler I didn’t have to worry about pulling a muscle in my back or something but the little man is totally worth it.)

My main beef with this whole thing would be spoonfeeding guys on the forums, intentionally or not (same basic reason I dislike the “Hey, I’m gonna cut this guy. Place your claims.” posts).

As it is now, it’s true that there’s plenty of help available if you want to look for it. Sure you can also ask questions, but if you ask silly things you’ll get ignored or gently berated… same if you ask too many.
But what if you could just watch how guys run their teams? There are reasons management settings are hidden and this would reveal more than just management settings.

If you want to share a team with some other guys, I’m not sure what sort of conspiracy you could devise that we’d need complete transparency to prevent. The willingness to be above board is admirable, but I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work just as well or better privately.

Updated Friday, August 9 2019 @ 6:30:38 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think this whole idea is bad, but Steve allows owners to have more than one team for some inexplicable reason so I'm not sure how this is very different. I can see that it might have been okay in the early days, but I think it should be banned now.
Reclaim

Mililani Miners
VI.32

Broken Bat Baseball
Two cents worth from Reclaim.....

The Reclaim project was set up initially when Bilbo Shaggins rage quit and gutted a team - unfortunately by the time it was approved that team wasn't available but another couple of really bad teams needed to be fixed.

At a guess there has been around ten teams 'Reclaimed'. If you look at the two linked, I.E the current Team, Cuyahoga Falls, and the one vented about, the Gary Grizzlies - the common theme is that almost without exception the players have been picked up in Free Agency or as 1-claim waiver wins.

Essentially I see this as a way of stopping players wasting away in FA without ever being picked up, Herbert for example was a 26 year old 12 pot, he has developed into the staff ace and would gain a huge volume of waiver claims if released, but that's not what this has been about. It's been fun fixing teams, but in reality most of the teams haven't been successful, Gary is an exception, and if it got picked up by a long team player it'd be great - if not, then its developed a couple of stars in the meantime.

Updated Friday, August 9 2019 @ 6:33:46 pm PDT
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

Essentially I see this as a way of stopping players wasting away in FA without ever being picked up

that's exactly why Haselrig started the Scouting Network in the old days (when Potential was hidden).

Same, Team Italy was meant to develop players for the National Team.

It's dedicated _Users_ feeling pain for players going waste as unclaimed FAs
Quite funny how we've been enticed to believe bits as real people :)

Previous Page | Show All |