Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Home Runs and Your Home Ballpark   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

For example, a short right field porch will not help your left swinging bats any more than your righties. I performed stadium experiments for a few seasons and am convinced you can't expect specific, sided results. Move a fence in and there is a stadium-wide homer adjustment, so on and so forth.

If that's the case, I'm rather disappointed.

So if I move the fences in in left field, somehow my entire park's HR rate is affected, because in theory home run calculation is a conglomeration of the park statistics? I understand what you're suggesting but am disheartened.

* Why give us the ability to configure fence distance at five points?
* Why bother reporting where the ball went out (left, center, right) other than flavor?

PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Having asymmetrical outfield dimensions is just a personal touch and has no sway on the what side of the plate a hitter hits from. The outcome is determined first, then the where: lostraven hits a homerun to left field of 374 feet.

Now if you have a guy with a lot of power, but he isn't hitting homeruns, moving the walls in or lowering the fences doesn't mean he'll start hitting bombs.

Watson is a homerun guy. Good power, good bat control.

Parnell is not a homerun guy, despite having the same power.

Why? Watson hits the ball in the air and Parnell does not. Check the GB/FB rates.

Maddening, I know. For instance: "Tater" may have prolific power, but if he continues with that groundball rate, his power will be in hitting doubles into the gap.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
DRS71119

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's says in the manual that dimensions and wall height affects the number of homeruns and looking at lostravens numbers, there is a tendency to pull homeruns. So I think that it's possible to make a ballpark favorable for homeruns if you have heavy fly ball hitters with power. The downside is you make your park favorable to everyone else also. This is why I have never messed with my dimensions.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
PrivateSnowFlake, or anyone else... when did distance get removed from the homeruns on the game recap?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's still there. My guess is your settings got changed without you being aware. I think standard dialogue eliminates distance. Set it to colorful. I'm not sure that setting does anything else, which is a bit weird. Why not just include distance automatically? Is that going to offend someone, like a bat flip?
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ahhh thanks Mike. I did play with those settings a season or two ago. Must not have changed it back to colorful without being aware of the difference. Thanks.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, another today I learned. Thanks, Mike.
DRS71119

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Updated Wednesday, July 24 2019 @ 1:59:21 pm PDT
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting! I've done some superficial research about ballpark effects.

I think your ballpark configuration affects the number of home runs produced in it.

I think this is right. I think it also affects hits and batting average. The Cowabungalow's set up to pump up batting average and runs, but take away some homers.

In particular, can any meaningful data BE collected to see if it helps or hinders?

Defensive data can be tough to get in Broken Bat. As you say, "I have only faint clues about how to go about doing this in this particular case." Agreed. It's tough to set up a control group and it's not like you can alter your own ballpark halfway through the season as a test.

How do I interpret any of this data, if at all? What else do I need to look at? Is this a futile effort to quantify the effects of ballpark configuration on HR outcomes?

I agree with the Magicians: Here is my take on stadium design--all choices affect results in a generic way. I performed stadium experiments for a few seasons and am convinced you can't expect specific, sided results. Move a fence in and there is a stadium-wide homer adjustment, so on and so forth. Look at other facets of the game, range, groundballs, etc., and I'll think you'll come to the same conclusion that it's highly unlikely to be more sophisticated.

I think Steve's admitted in a few places that the defensive model for Broken Bat is limited. I think "generic" is a good word for it. If you put in a great shortstop, I think you'll find your outfield defense mysteriously gets better. That kind of thing. I wish the ballpark settings and defense were more detailed, but my hunch is that the wall settings are largely windowdressing, except that they'll increase/decrease home runs and batting average in generic ways.

I think the Thunder are right: "Having asymmetrical outfield dimensions is just a personal touch and has no sway on the what side of the plate a hitter hits from. The outcome is determined first, then the where."

If that's the case, I'm rather disappointed. So if I move the fences in in left field, somehow my entire park's HR rate is affected, because in theory home run calculation is a conglomeration of the park statistics? I understand what you're suggesting but am disheartened. Why give us the ability to configure fence distance at five points? Why bother reporting where the ball went out (left, center, right) other than flavor?

The disappointment is real. My hunch is that it's largely flavor. I've also been disappointed to find out that player "Range Factor" seems generic and meaningless.

I've been tempted to set up a wacko, asymmetric ballpark to see what happens in the team stats, but I'd rather have what I've got. At least for now. Something like a Fenway maybe? Is any team playing in a Fenway type park that's seriously wonkered so we could check out your numbers?
knoxvol

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
hurstdm, I set up the Leopards' ballpark to mirror Fenway as best I could. Greenville's IRL stadium actually has the same dimensions as Fenway since the Greenville Drive are the Red Sox's single-A affiliate. I followed suit.

The Leopards' park is slightly different since a 302 ft right-field pole is below the minimum distance allowed in BB. Also, I went with the Triangle's 420 ft center-field instead of Fenway/Fluor's true-center-field distance of 389 ft because I thought that captured the essence of the layout better than the literal interpretation. And of course the Green Monster is included in left-field.

I have yet to drill down and compare our left-field/right-field HRs at home vs away, but would love to hear the verdict if anyone wants to have a go at it.

Previous Page | Show All |