Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft 2041: Round 7   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm totally unable to dig up Steve's posts from two years ago or earlier. I just remember him being a little more open about the intestines of the system than he is now.
Well those two bot teams didn't always draft in the later rounds, when their rosters were full (apparently, the engine cleans up the rosters once, early in the season and then fills them up through the draft), but the picks they took were anything but random. If you take seven random picks, even in the first four rounds, you don't get two 15ps and a 14p, like Ankeny did, or three 14ps like Hoboken. Looking at potential, their early round draft picks are as good as mine or yours. You had a 9p third rounder last season, and I'm pretty sure your draft decisions are not random. Hoboken's lowest potential draftee since 2036 was a 10p. Ankeny drafted an 8p in 2037, but that was in round 9. Same year, I had a 9p in round 10.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You may well be right, but I still think this outcome looks random.

I had notoriously bad luck under the old draft system, and Fernandez was actually a POT 10 under the old POT system. Either way, he was drafted on this scout report "He can be a very good hitter. He can develop into an above average slugger. He has good overall potential." For third round, that was a great scouting report for me.

But POT has little to do with how good a pick is.

Look at Hoboken's first round pick last season. POT 10 with the scouting line "He can have a major league curveball. He may be limited to only a few innings. He has above average overall potential." That scouting line shouldn't be a first round pick, unless they were getting options as poor as Haverhill. I think even my team has only been shafted with nothing better than "above average overall potential" more then once or twice in the 1st round. Bad POT, bad scouting report, 1st round pick, makes it look random to me.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok, after a few losses I decided to release one of my players and draft after all...

Huh?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that's why I plan to drop someone tomorrow.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you guys think it's possible for a prospect to have a POT increase before being drafted?

Ex: He was a 13 POT when he was on my draft board a few weeks ago. I passed up on him for a different player. Now, he got drafted in the seventh round and is a 16 POT now.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well there is POT fuzziness so it's possible he could be anywhere from 13-16 POT.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know this might sound weird, but are others not picking the best option if you know you'll cut him immediately? That will keep them in the pool where someone else might grab him and train him for the rest of the season. Just a thought.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
They have a better chance of getting trained up if you do pick them and drop them. If you leave them in the pool they may never get drafted. If you drop them on waivers, there is a high chance they get picked up by someone, because those players are available to every team.

Only caveat would be picking late in the 7th round. If you pick on Fridays (which you always should since early bird advantage is magnified in the new system), then you can drop them in time to be drafted. 8th round, there is no point in dropping.

Updated Friday, July 26 2019 @ 11:41:10 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
If you leave them in the pool they may never get drafted.

Correct me if I'm mistaken in my understanding of the new draft, but these prospects exist season-to-season now if they're drafted or not, yes? Isn't that why Steve said that College would be hit hardest after this draft? My assumption with that statement was that the best high-school seniors would have been drafted in the '41 draft.

If those assumptions are the actuality, makes me wonder if perpetually undrafted college prospects eventually fall off a cliff somewhere. Not to infringe of Rob Liefeld's copyright, but college would have pretty much been a dead pool at some point in the near future unless some percentage of overlooked high schoolers occasionally improve dramatically in college. Be my guess as to why the two pools where merged.

Updated Friday, July 26 2019 @ 12:37:48 pm PDT
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So in HW, players in juco have to wait 2 yrs to get drafted.
In MLB, players must have finished junior or senior yr and be 21 or have gone to junior college (inwhich they can be drafted any year)

Wonder if Steve copied one of these formats for the college route players.
Also hope he adds a few players to college that were not available in HS draft. It would represent kids that bloomed later or went undiscovered by scouts.

Previous Page | Show All |