Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Control   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had limited success in the past with low control guys.

Watsonwas a starter and Connell was a starter I used as a MR/RHS/emergency SP.

I normally draft below average control pitchers, but in the end I cut them because I always find someone else. I do look for them since they're good budget pitchers.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I prefer my late bullpen guys to have decent control, but I've never considered it a huge priority for starting pitching. I actually think lower control may pair well with fastball pitchers (so they don't throw meatballs), but good pitching is so easy to find on waivers, I don't have a lot of low control guys overall.

If southpaw Caputo had high control I would have cut him a long time ago. His below average control is the only reason I've kept him on the minor league roster.

Being a curveball pitcher, I would prefer that POT 12 Enatsu had more control, but good numbers have kept him on the roster too.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

It reminds me of how when I first started a few seasons back, most folks wouldn't touch lefties ...

Bah! I still only have an ounce of patience with them. You guys can (largely) have them. Even if Dayton is leading LLII West with their lefty rotation in a monstrously cavernous ballpark. *plugs ears* LALALALALALA!

Updated Tuesday, June 25 2019 @ 2:31:40 pm PDT
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Haselrig

I knew I was letting the cat out of the bag by posting, but I still don't think folks here are quite ready to walk on the wild side. And if they are then the more the merrier -- I will just switch things up again. ;)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
What about Born to be Wild?

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lefties on average are going to perform worse than righties, but I'm going to take a lefty with good numbers over a righty with bad numbers everyday. I suspect there have always been people taking both lefties and poor control players. We just don't necessarily advertise that fact.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the reason most people shy away from low control is because they over value FIP ;)

FIP doesn't tell you if your pitcher has a tendency to play handball against the left field wall every game. I find it hard to put a lot of value into any pitcher rating that doesn't include hits.

Updated Tuesday, June 25 2019 @ 3:36:55 pm PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
See, I'm actually beginning to push harder on control as I try to work my way out of the cellar. I've been burned too much by free baserunners, and so I've gone for guys like this. I figure if I play a decent defense, which I have, then I can deal with the contact. At the same time though, I don't just cut someone cuz they have below average control. One of my best young pitchers is below average and is doing just fine.

[hidden secret: I set training focus primary to hitting and secondary to control]
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

but I've never considered it a huge priority for starting pitching. I actually think lower control may pair well with fastball pitchers (so they don't throw meatballs)

Rock nailed my thinking on the subject. I haven't ventured into wild territory yet but I have no issue going with a below average control guy.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Today I ventured to finally take a walk on the wild side with this 12 pot guy.

This season has been crazy and before my team just swept the last series, I was gonna totally throw in the towel. I still will likely relegate. I am breaking in 5 SP kids and a couple in the lineup so it was likely to happen anyways. Funny thing is I have gone farther in Cup play than ever before.

This is an odd game.

Updated Sunday, September 22 2019 @ 1:52:24 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |