Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 1B Derby coming to a head   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Decision time is looming on the future of my club at 1B. The situation is as follows:

Incumbent: Oscar Gonzalez A perennial All-Star, power bat, heart of the club.

Current Understudy: John Stuckey Untested, but has potential to be better than OG.

Tagged for promotion from AAA: Nate De Lucia The sky is the limit, but I'm not ready to dislodge OG to let him up.

And last but most amazing:

The slugger-in-waiting, Tucker Sherrill, who only has 113 minor-league HR's, batting an aggregate .327. Then, as an afterthought, there's Andrew Flynn, the power and defense switch-hitter option. What say you? Who gets chopped?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Honestly? Gonzalez is hands-down the best player here, and some of the others aren't even close. Stuckey is a fine fielder but both he and Sherrill look like they'll really struggle for BC and PD, so their upside isn't huge and neither can touch OG.

De Lucia is your best option for the future by some distance, even with his (likely) average PD.

None of these three is going to hit 40 homers. I'd stick with OG until his arms fall off.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm gonna respectfully disagree with Amalric on this one. Sherill looks the better future as opposed to De Lucia.

For one, I've had good success with guys like Sherill.

But far more importantly, De Lucia has already learned all he can at AAA, but still has low SI. He's a stunt candidate if I've ever seen one. It's rare for 1B to stunt but it happens.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you're proving my point. ;)

Does Russell have his good points? Undoubtedly, and guys like Stuckey and Sherril can play at a similar level. You'll get some reasonable seasons out of them, and some less so.

Stuckey's batting profile might look like this: 16/10/10/14.
Sherrill: 16/8/8/17.

Russell is the ceiling for guys like that with low BC and PD. Russell has good health (doesn't miss many games), is a 4-time All Star with excellent hitting and power tools. At best he's a 20-homer guy who hits .280, which certainly has value (if you have nothing else).

But I look at the other side of the coin. A career .318 OBP and .778 OPS is just average for a 1B (IMO). Plus (and worst of all for me) he's a groundball machine, hence all the GIDP which hurt your team offence. I don't like that at all. Stuckey is a similar player and while Sherrill is a flyball hitter with good minor league numbers that BC/PD isn't going to play in the majors, at least not over an extended period.

Also, compare Russell's career slash line to OG's:-

Russell: .279/.318/.460, .778 OPS
Gonzalez: .296/.362/.577, .938 OPS

Which would you rather have? I'll take the latter, with the 0.50 GB:FB rate and the walks and the 40-homer seasons every single time.

De Lucia's current SI doesn't bother me at all (I've got Quintana and his 78 SI up for good) - the fact is he's developed at a positive and steady rate throughout his career to this point, about 6 SI/season. If he plays full-time on reaching the bigs that may actually improve, and a few seasons from now you'll have a guy with a hitting profile that may look like this: 18/18/8/14. I'm not a fan of hitters with low PD but that high BC certainly plays a lot better than your other prospects mentioned here.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree about Gonzalez 100%, I guess I should've mentioned that. He is without a doubt the guy you should play right now.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Gonzalez should be your guy. Why not throw Stuckey in LF or DH?

Previous Page | Show All |